U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:50 AM

70,883 posts, read 71,245,628 times

Advertisements

rather then go off topic in another thread lets create its own

what constitues great photography from just snap shots.?

what attracts your attention, even though you have no clue about the location, the people or anything else in the photo yet your eyes are drawn to it.?

lets fill the thread with ideas

for me its all about lines,angles,lighting and color.....

unless its some news worthy event i find my subject matter secondary..

sometimes marilyn and i will just go out and shoot stuff lying in the grass or interesting angles or paths in parks.
in fact the lighting that day makes all the difference. same scenes can go from totaly blan snapshots to amazingly alive with colors and detailing just given different lighting another day.

i find i like to have lines to follow to keep my eye interested.

i like bright vivid colors, but thats my taste...

i try to never have empty space in the foreground when using my super wide lens.

ill try to always have some lines from something starting at the corners but the trick is not to have it take away from the subject.

ill walk around buildings and visualize the different angles and try a few from wierd positions.

while painters have to think about what to include in their paintings to enhance them photographers have to think about what to cut out of the pictures.

usually anything in the photo not adding to it is taking away from it if your not careful., i have a thing for not liking my photos that appear to busy and my eye has to scan around to find a place to go.
if it takes more then an instant to figure out what the idea or subject is i delete it.

no matter what we do we can never get the scenes to look the way they stand out when we are there so i like to make them look they way i want them to.

that usually involves me shooting the pictures very flat tonaly in camera and later on ill decide how i want that photo to look in post processing.

my stuff ranges from totaly bizarre ,a bad acid trip to very natural depending on my mood that day and what i feel like doing.

we already have enough photos of all the landmarks and public places of interest and truthfully they all look alike unless truely outstanding... thats why i prefer to add my own creative spin to things..you may not want to but thats my thing.... folks definetly remember alot of our shots because they stand out from the pack at times. i tend to use bright vivid colors and contrast algorithems that add quite a bit of presence giving it that looking thru an open window effect.

i tend to use alot of local area enhancement bringing up or down the grass in spots or bringing out detail in things more ,sometimes more then in life.... ill also do inversions where at times ill make the ground brighter then the sky or shadows brighter then highlightes. it creates interesting looks.

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-05-2010 at 04:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 04:03 AM

ill add more as i think of them but i want to steal your ideas too

Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 AM

3,774 posts, read 5,787,779 times
I took a course in digital photography at the local community college last year. The reason was because 99% plus of my photos were snapshots, boring or just didn't convey what I thought I saw when taking the shot. When taking the shot I would be excited. After the photo was boring, BLAH!

What did I learn? Composition and lighting. No, I'm not an expert by any means. Most of my shots are still not what I want. But at least I have an idea what I am trying for DURING the shoot.

The main thing is to THINK and SEE the picture. This is something I am weak at. I tend to just "snap" away rather think about what I am trying to produce. The second thing for me is to shoot lots of photos at varying exposures hoping that one of them is good.

OTOH: I think there is a place for snapshots. Going through my Mom's photo albums recently, I have found a true treasure trove of family history. Some of the stuff that might ruin the shot as art reminds me of things we had (or didn't have) when I was young. So for those of you who are into snapshots don't feel bad. Just keep learning and trying. Look at others work and think about it. Your work will improve over time.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:02 AM

8,816 posts, read 13,581,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

OTOH: I think there is a place for snapshots. Going through my Mom's photo albums recently, I have found a true treasure trove of family history. Some of the stuff that might ruin the shot as art reminds me of things we had (or didn't have) when I was young. So for those of you who are into snapshots don't feel bad. Just keep learning and trying. Look at others work and think about it. Your work will improve over time.
Absolutely, I'm a professional photographer but even I have a point and shoot I use to just take your normal family snapshots. If I tried to do "photography" at family events, I would find myself socially uninvolved. Sometimes you have to switch off as a photographer.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 AM

ditto on the point and shoot..they are great for non moving stuff and good lighting.... family moments are good as snap shots

Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 AM

467 posts, read 1,037,276 times
For me it's lighting, composition, color and (control over) shutter speed.

My likes are all over the place. You just have to have the eye for it. Some people have it. Some people don't.

I love the vintage feel of an old good snapshot too. My Mom has some great childhood snapshot photos of me taken with Kodachrome film.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:37 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,906,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
ditto on the point and shoot..they are great for non moving stuff and good lighting.... family moments are good as snap shots
Funny thing is they can sometimes surprise you. One of my best shots came from a tiny point and shoot. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right lighting conditions. I wasn't seriously looking for pictures, I just was out to enjoy the day.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:18 PM

1,810 posts, read 3,601,917 times
I take snapshots at family events, and, truthfully, I hate it. Oh, it is great to capture the family celebrating the grandsons birthday and all, but it is not what I enjoy about photography. What I truly enjoy in my photography is the million words. It is not about hearing from other people that they like what I did, how I captured this, or the lighting was great for that. Not at all. It is all about the million words. My words. For instance, in this photo, which is not a great photo at all, there is a story behind it. A story only I know.

In short, I was out bass fishing. Not doing well I might add. I kept seeing turtles sliding into the water well before I ever could get a good shot off (I always bring the camera). They were skittish. I got the tele-extender and the big lens out and did some scouting. I spied these guys from a long way off. After changing lenses I laid down on the front deck of my boat and snuck up on 'em. I used my hands to control the foot controlled trolling motor for both speed and direction. I got plenty close. That is the short version. Do I wish I had gotten better results? Heck yeah. Can I do better? Most defiantly. But up until this moment only I knew what went into taking that photo. I still smile when I think about it... there were people fishing the bank just staring at me during this and I did not give a care. I should have done better, am capable of better, but I enjoyed this event all the same. That is photography to me... not so much the results as the experience. You can call this a less than spectacular shot and I would agree with you. You could tell me I should have done this, could have done that, and I would more than likely agree. If you say it is crap, then I disagree... it makes me smile, and that is what matters to me.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:20 PM

30,828 posts, read 31,668,718 times
Like real estate...Location, location, location....Composition is mostly about being in precisely the right spot when taking the shot.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:38 PM

like everything in the arts be it painting or music or photography there is always the things we do just for us and our friends and family and the stuff we do for others....

i have loads of family pictures and special moments and those are never edited or enhanced. they are never displayed for strangers either, i keep them to share only with those that it means something to..

the other stuff i edit and post for others to enjoy if i think it would be interesting to others.

i maintain a smugmug pro account for the stuff for others and for the stuff i sell and a seperate hosting site for the photos not geared for the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or