Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,440 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a college senior who is thinking of starting my own business. I have many real estate agents in my family, and I'd like to get in the business of marketing, photographing, handling virtual tours of homes etc.

Would anyone be able to point me in teh right direction with regards to quality, yet not too terribly expensive computers/cameras/software needed?

Any suggestions or help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:53 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
we have been working towards that for the last 3 years....

your asking a question akin to can anyone tell me what i should buy to be a accomplshed musician and earn a living at it...

you need years of shooting experience as real estate photography can be pretty tough..... you need composition skills,technical skills and a good eye and creatvity

then you need lots of expierience with various software like elements, photoshop,photomatix etc....

its not anything someone can tell you in a thread....

Old 05-17-2010, 12:27 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
As mentioned, you can't just jump right into photography by simply getting the right equipment. It takes a lot of time and effort to learn the right skills and get the right experience to take professional level photographs, especially architectural photography. It's very technical and everything has to be perfect. I've been doing photography for more than 10 years and I still struggle to get all my building lines perfectly straight.

And I'm not sure working solely in the real estate industry would be enough to support you. Since you know so many real estate agents, you should know that usually only very high end properties get that kind of professional attention on photographs and virtual tours. And especially with the economy and housing market in a dip at the moment, I can't imagine there is enough demand for professional photographers in real estate to fully support you financially. There is other architectural photography work outside of real estate too but there's still a chance you'd have to do photography work outside of architecture all together.

As long as you understand all that, I can recommend you start with an entry level DSLR and a sharp wide angle lens. It's difficult to recommend something specific because it really depends on the buyer - you have to find the right brand/camera for you as an individual. Photoshop Elements is my usual recommendation for affordable but effective software but you can also look into Paint Shop Pro and Lightroom. If you have a Mac, Apple make one called Aperture. GIMP is a good free option but I've never used it myself. As for a computer, ideally a desktop fast enough to handle the software you'll be using (look at the requirements for the software).

Old 05-17-2010, 12:55 PM

our plan is to eventually have a little web photo business for local businesses and real estate photography...its more a hobby then business but if we made some money at it id be happy.

marilyn and i just love photography so much that it would just give us a purpose when we go out and shoot.

with MLS its tough getting brokers to cough up dough for photos and everyone else benefits...

Old 05-17-2010, 04:36 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,370 times
You should check out the content of the thread I linked to below. It will give you some insight on this topic.

Real Estate Business Photography

As mathjack mentioned, it's the skill in composition and attention to detail in the photos that will drive the business to you. Like I said, perhaps a bit flippantly, in the thread, any realtor can bring a P&S with them to get basic photos.

PA2UK also is spot on in terms of having to build up your skillset and where to start. In my mind, the gear to buy depends on a number of factors, including what you are faced with at each shoot. But it also depends on your intended media outlet (web, print, billboard, etc.). Web is not going to require high resolution unless there is a print-option component where a viewer can print out a copy for reference. Print is going to require a high resolution end product, especially if the photo is going to be a centerfold. Billboard... what else is there to say? Another consideration is if the photo will be used within a video listing. Depending on scale and movement within the feed, a high resolution image may be essential.

I would agree that a solid entry-level camera and sharp wide-angle lens is a good start point. Learn the use of the camera and the technical aspects of shooting first. Then begin working with other elements like scale, perspective, and lighting. PA2UK mentioned Adobe Photoshop Elements which is a good start for editing. I would also recommend looking at Adobe Lightroom. That program has cut my editing time by 2/3.

In terms of computer hardware, I would suggest that you start by looking at four things: processor, memory, video card, and external storage. A fast processor is essential. However, it is going to be limited depending upon the amount of memory you have. A video card with an on-board processor will help in this regard. As for the external storage, this is critical because it will function as your backup for all your work.

Last edited by RUNYYfan; 05-17-2010 at 05:25 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 05:04 PM

you would think that with the internet being used so much to generate interest in homes that brokers would want the absolute best photos they could get.

truth is very few want to invest more in more then a few snapshots ... they dont want to foot the bill and the home gets sold thru mls......

Old 05-17-2010, 06:25 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you would think that with the internet being used so much to generate interest in homes that brokers would want the absolute best photos they could get.
Although this makes sense on the surface, I just don't think pictures sell houses. They generate 'curb appeal'. I think a house still sells itself, as it always has. No offense to Realtors, but the best one of the lot cannot sell an overpriced piece of junk, assuming a bank would risk a loan for it. Used car salesmen sell overpriced pieces of junk. Realtors show properties. Pictures generate interest.
All bets are off when you are talking about multi-million dollar homes, but nation wide the average home price is probably in the $150,000 - $275,000 range. At that range you will not be shooting spacious verandas overlooking the guest quarters next to the swimming pool and tennis courts with a golf course in the background. You will be shooting very alike looking bedrooms and bathrooms decorated in all manners. Even the most picky of buyer can only expect so much in a kitchen stuck inside a $200,000 home. And I do not care how good of a photographer you are, you ain't gonna make a living room decorated in 1970's era motif sell itself.
Peace out

Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 AM

i find just the opposite to some extent.... some great looking homes just look like crap in the photos on line and dont generate any interest for anyone to contact the broker and go take a look....

the photos are what compell people to look further.

an un-attractive house will always stay an un-attractive house .....

Old 05-18-2010, 02:12 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
.... some great looking homes just look like crap in the photos on line and dont generate any interest for anyone to contact the broker and go take a look....

the photos are what compell people to look further.
I have owned six mortgages in my life, and each and every one started with a photo view. Way back it was one simple snapshot, from more than likely a point and shoot. The last two had more extensive layouts, mainly because they had the room, as I viewed them online. For each mortgage I purchased I physically viewed no less than ten properties. Often more. Even if the picture did not do the property justice I always viewed properties above and below my price range for baseline comparisons.
Looking and thinking back, I cannot remember one photo. But I can recall fifteen or so properties right off the top of my head. I am quite sure I have viewed hundreds of MLS cut sheets but cannot remember one photo.
But that is just me. I am but just one buyer. I am sure out there somewhere there are buyers who bought a house because of an awesome photo taken by a spectacular photographer.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:45 AM

i find bad photos just make me jump to the next listing..... not that i would buy a house by its photos but i would probley pass on going to see one if the photos didnt motivate me or not even look at the listing .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography