U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,182 times
Default New to pittsburgh---please help!!!!!

Hello everyone,
I am moving from Columbus to Pittsburgh within the next 2 weeks and am looking for a place to live. I will be working for Thermo Fisher Scientific on 2000 Park Lane Drive which seems to be about 15-20 minutes west of downtown. I am 23 years old and just graduated college. I have read a lot about South Side and it seems to fit what I am looking for but I am still uncertain about the commute and getting into a neighbor hood where I do not have to worry about crime and can enjoy taking a walk at night, going out for drinks at local bars within walking distance, and enjoying the neighborhood. I also researched Lawrenceville but most of the housing I was finding seemed to be in Upper Lawrenceville which did not seem very appealing. Any suggestions???? Thanks for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 PM

783 posts, read 893,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtl1388 View Post
Hello everyone,
I am moving from Columbus to Pittsburgh within the next 2 weeks and am looking for a place to live. I will be working for Thermo Fisher Scientific on 2000 Park Lane Drive which seems to be about 15-20 minutes west of downtown. I am 23 years old and just graduated college. I have read a lot about South Side and it seems to fit what I am looking for but I am still uncertain about the commute and getting into a neighbor hood where I do not have to worry about crime and can enjoy taking a walk at night, going out for drinks at local bars within walking distance, and enjoying the neighborhood. I also researched Lawrenceville but most of the housing I was finding seemed to be in Upper Lawrenceville which did not seem very appealing. Any suggestions???? Thanks for any input!!
Is Park Lane Drive in Pittsburgh Proper or is it out in the burbs like Robinson near the airport? That names sounds familiar.

I love the South Side especially if you are young and single! I worked down there and loved it but lived in Robinson. The Parkway West can be pretty bad at Greentree Hill but you may not be too bad going the opposite way of traffic if you are willing to learn some back roads.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:17 PM

Hello- Thanks for the advice!!! I am worried about finding a location that sounds nice but somehow being a block or so in the wrong direction and ending up in a not so nice part of that area. It is the Park Lane Drive out by the airport. I am hoping to keep the drive under 30 minutes with traffic.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:54 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,298,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
Is Park Lane Drive in Pittsburgh Proper or is it out in the burbs like Robinson near the airport? That names sounds familiar.
Park Lane is part of the small office park area near the Pointe at North Fayette just off the Parkway. It would be just off of the Montour Run exit.

Driving from the South Side you're probably close to your 30 minute commute. Maybe a tad over. There are some backroad routes that you can learn that would avoid any backup on the Parkway. It's been awhile since I've taken the Parkway West during morning rush so I'm not sure if there are any common backups going outbound at that time. I know evening rush inbound can be ugly so that's where you would definitely want to get familiar with the backroads. (Route 60 through Crafton to the West End generally moves pretty steadily. There are ways to take Campbell's Run Road and Route 50 through Carnegie as well.)

But, the South Side is a great neighborhood for someone your age if you want to be in the middle of the action and be able to walk to bars. I really don't think there is a sketchy section of the Flats to worry about. Just think about how much noise you can tolerate and if you want your home to be on the quieter side, live back off of Carson Street as much as possible.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:03 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,595,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtl1388 View Post
Hello- Thanks for the advice!!! I am worried about finding a location that sounds nice but somehow being a block or so in the wrong direction and ending up in a not so nice part of that area. It is the Park Lane Drive out by the airport. I am hoping to keep the drive under 30 minutes with traffic.
30 MINUTES!!!!!!! You can forget that.......

Your dealing with the Parkway West (279) - a 20 mile Parking LOT at rush hour going either way doesn't matter....From 6-10 in the AM and 3-7 in the PM it will take you 30mins to go 2 1/2 miles.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:09 PM

12,957 posts, read 10,255,110 times
You might be better off living somewhere on the airport side of the Ft. Pitt tunnels, like Greentree or Scott Township, or even Mt. Washington. You'd still be able to get into the city easily for your leisure activities, but you'd cut out a lot of the traffic mess.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:19 PM

Ok so I am confused. Blackbeauty212- You said that 279 is terrible but wouldn't I be taking 376 East for the majority of the time? Is going from the Southside to 376 East terrible in the mornings and doing the opposite terrible at nights? I am fine with around 30 minutes or less.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:27 PM

12,957 posts, read 10,255,110 times
They recently renamed the highways going out to the airport--what used to be 279 is now 376 West (or the Parkway West) out towards Robinson, so us oldtimers will still refer to them by the old numbers. 376 East runs between downtown and Monroeville. The traffic is still pretty bad in both directions because of the Ft. Pitt tunnel. Here's a map of traffic cams to give you an idea: http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Penndot/D...t11TrafficCams

Old 06-11-2010, 02:47 PM

783 posts, read 893,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They recently renamed the highways going out to the airport--what used to be 279 is now 376 West (or the Parkway West) out towards Robinson, so us oldtimers will still refer to them by the old numbers. 376 East runs between downtown and Monroeville. The traffic is still pretty bad in both directions because of the Ft. Pitt tunnel.
Don't you just love the new naming conventions!?

I commuted to the South Side for a while so heading toward the city was bad in the morning and going home at night. I then did the opposite thing when I worked at Allegheny General and UPMC in the afternoon--even at 2-3pm it would back up going down Greentree Hill heading into the Ft Pitt tunnel area. Even if you could go around the West End Circle you still had to crawl down the hill before you could break off.

I agree that the drive thru Crafton is prob best! You can easily do 30 mins if you are willing to do some crazy routing. My favorite way now is 60 to Crafton turn left at Sharp Edge, up some hill in Ingram down to the Corliss tunnel-under the West End Circle then pass Station Square to SS. Once you learn the back ways you will rarely travel the Parkway West! It is too much of a crap shoot with accidents or backups. Drove that side of town for 5 yrs and sooo glad I can do all the crazy backroads!

Old 06-11-2010, 02:57 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,298,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
I agree that the drive thru Crafton is prob best! You can easily do 30 mins if you are willing to do some crazy routing. My favorite way now is 60 to Crafton turn left at Sharp Edge, up some hill in Ingram down to the Corliss tunnel-under the West End Circle then pass Station Square to SS. Once you learn the back ways you will rarely travel the Parkway West! It is too much of a crap shoot with accidents or backups. Drove that side of town for 5 yrs and sooo glad I can do all the crazy backroads!
I second the Corliss Tunnel. I think it's Barry Street that's the hill in Ingram, maybe? Lived on the West side of town for 9 years, extremely seldom that I took the Parkway. Once you know the area there are so many ways around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh