Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
It's called ignorance, plain and simple.
It seems to be happening the other way around, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 10:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,152,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post
Why are you calling West Virginia "hickish"?

You can't just go around making bold generalizations about people in a forum those people frequent, and not expect some kind of backlash. Pittsburghers are witty northeasterners who live in similar suburbs as Philly, Cleveland, and more. You were wrong about West Virginians, wrong about the suburbs of Pittsburgh, and even more wrong about the people. Your "opinions" are all wrong, dear.

No need to get your panties in a knot. Atleast you admit that you are uneducated!
When I pass a guy riding a lawnmower while holding a shotgun, that is hickish. You see that in West Virginia...not Philly or New York.

Did I hit a little too close to home?

Why can't you let me have an opinion? You can say whatever you want about Philly, New York, or any city. I really don't care.

I will generalize all I want. I would never live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh (or West Virginia for that matter). It is not the lifestyle I want.

hick [hɪk]
n
a country person; bumpkin

It is not an insult! I am just not a country person! I do not want a country feel. My god. I never said anything bad about west virginia, it is just a place with a country style, unsophisticated feel. It is just not what I want in life. If you want that, if you like that lifestyle, then good for you! Hick is not an insult any more than 'Yuppie' is. It is simply a description of lifestyle.

The fact that you don't know (and don't bother to learn) about these things is why I made the crack I did about you being uneducated. Get it now chief?

Old 06-20-2010, 07:05 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,668,656 times
This goes back to the thread about being a "Pittsburgher". The thing that kills me is people are quick and proud to announce they are from "Pittsburgh" but when asked about living in the city, they wouldn't entertain the thought.

We take drives from time to time and it amazes me how far out people move in to the suburbs. There are some truly beautiful areas in the city to live in.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
This goes back to the thread about being a "Pittsburgher". The thing that kills me is people are quick and proud to announce they are from "Pittsburgh" but when asked about living in the city, they wouldn't entertain the thought.

We take drives from time to time and it amazes me how far out people move in to the suburbs. There are some truly beautiful areas in the city to live in.
It is possible some people just want something different than what you want.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:40 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,703,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Let me try again.

That is my opinion. If you don't like it, ignore it.

Why do you care so much? I don't know you, but based on the fact you don't know the difference between opinion and fact, I stand behind my 'uneducated' comment.

Go to dictionary.com and look up the word opinion. Come back after you have done that. OK sport?

The suburbs around pittsburgh more often than not hold beer, football, guns, hunting (schools get time off for hunting season!) in higher regard than anything cultured. People in the suburbs typically don't know what the word vegan means, they think all sushi is disgusting. Do you get the picture? I don't like that. If other people do then great. There is nothing wrong with that. It just is NOT FOR ME. I don't know how more clear I can make it. I don't care where you want to live! I just don't want to live in the suburbs. What else can I say to get you to understand that? If you like the suburbs, there is nothing wrong with that. I just hate the suburbs of western PA. I feel they are an extension West Virginia/Ohio, not an extension of the city. Again - that is just my opinion. Take it or leave it, but don't tell me my opinion is wrong. THAT is an inane thing to suggest.
You have the audacity to make sweeping, ill-informed STATEMENTS, but do not have the courage to stand by them as such by calling them opinions. At best, intellectually dishonest: and it speaks volumes about your lack of knowledge, and immaturity. I'm now going to ride off on my lawnmower into the city and shoot up the first sushi bar I see. Maybe I can take out a few vegans along the way. Rest assured, though, I won't aim at any hip, urban sophisticates such as yourself.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:38 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
Draw a line from downtown Pittsburgh south on U.S. 19 for about 15 to 20 miles. Then, take that line and sweep it clockwise around the city to PA 28. Most of the nicest suburbs are located somewhere in that arc.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,668,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It is possible some people just want something different than what you want.
I realize that. Practicality isn't something most people think about.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I realize that. Practicality isn't something most people think about.
And who are you to decide what's practical for everybody? You do know that not everyone works in the city? Some people actually work in the burbs. In the old days in Pgh, lots of people worked in the mills in the mill towns.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:08 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,332,580 times
I like prompt snow removal, a garage for my car, neighbors living more than 3 feet away, and paying a 1% wage tax.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,152,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
You have the audacity to make sweeping, ill-informed STATEMENTS, but do not have the courage to stand by them as such by calling them opinions. At best, intellectually dishonest: and it speaks volumes about your lack of knowledge, and immaturity. I'm now going to ride off on my lawnmower into the city and shoot up the first sushi bar I see. Maybe I can take out a few vegans along the way. Rest assured, though, I won't aim at any hip, urban sophisticates such as yourself.
Did you even read my post? I never said the suburbs were bad.

Why are you taking this so personally? What nerve did I touch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh