Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:21 AM

366 posts, read 943,867 times

Advertisements

It is in a KOZ (Keystone Opportunity Zone). I did some research on my own and with my CPA and it seems to be legit. Also, no income requirements...

Garfield/Friendship area - Questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:53 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,654 times
Yes, the KOZ tax credits are legit. I'm closing on a unit in the Glass Lofts in a couple of weeks. My mortgage payment is going to be almost $250 cheaper because of the lack of real estate and property taxes.

And honestly, are the Glass Lofts really that overpriced? Condos aren't the same as buying a row house, which I think people in Pittsburgh tend to wrongly compare them to since there really isn't much of a condo culture here. It's an apples to oranges comparison. I'm paying $165k for a 940 sq foot unit, with off-street parking in the middle of the East End....with no property or state/county/city income taxes. That really doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. Some of the smaller units were in the 120k-140k price range. Even without all the tax credits, I haven't found any equivalent condo in the city that's cheaper - especially in such a central location. When you add the tax credits in, it's even more impossible to find.

Unfortunately, the only units left are pretty large and expensive in there... and I'm not so sure they'll have as easy of a time selling those.

Last edited by AaronPGH; 06-17-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronClark View Post
Yes, the KOZ tax credits are legit. I'm closing on a unit in the Glass Lofts in a couple of weeks. My mortgage payment is going to be almost $250 cheaper because of the lack of real estate and property taxes.

And honestly, are the Glass Lofts really that overpriced? Condos aren't the same as buying a row house, which I think people in Pittsburgh tend to wrongly compare them to since there really isn't much of a condo culture here. It's an apples to oranges comparison. I'm paying $165k for a 940 sq foot unit, with off-street parking in the middle of the East End....with no property or state/county/city income taxes. That really doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. Some of the smaller units were in the 120k-140k price range. Even without all the tax credits, I haven't found any equivalent condo in the city that's cheaper - especially in such a central location. When you add the tax credits in, it's even more impossible to find.

Unfortunately, the only units left are pretty large and expensive in there... and I'm not so sure they'll have as easy of a time selling those.
I think you're right in a sense. I am definitely am not a big fan of condos. I think they aren't the best use of money, but I guess I can see how they would appeal to some people. And with the tax breaks, it's even a bit more understandable. I just don't see $100K in benefits when compared to nearby homes, but you're right, it is a personal preference.

EDIT: Also, if they have been able to sell these condos at that price, I don't think it is a bad thing at all. It's great to have money coming into the neighborhood without destroying large chunks of it.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:53 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times
I noticed that the abandoned gas station at Negley and Penn has already been torn down. I don't know what they plan for the site, but it is good to see progress on the plan being made so quickly.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:34 PM

68 posts, read 150,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
It has nothing to do with opportunities, it has to do with a sub-culture within the minority that is self destructive.
You hit the nail on the head. It's all about culture.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:21 PM

21 posts, read 34,313 times
So somebody may pay the high price while the tax abatement is in effect...but what about when it expires? Tax abatements for new development are damaging. All they do is encourage some developer to building something in a place where the project isn't economically viable on its own. In order to make it cross the line from "not worth it" to "worth it" for the developer, tax advantages are financed by taking tax dollars from tax payers at various levels of government.

Why should taxpayers in the entire country, state, county, or city have their pockets picked so that some developer can be made willing to build an otherwise unviable project in some particular neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh