Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeno View Post
I moved to Pittsburgh in April and I have yet to have a meal that I really enjoyed.
That seems strange to me. Where have you tried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
This is the truth. Pittsburgh trumps Cleveland in other areas, but dining is just not one of them. Most on this forum will refuse to accept that.
Cleveland undoubtedly has a very good restaurant scene.

The suggestion that it is impossible to find an enjoyable meal in Pittsburgh, however, strikes me as very strange.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:59 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
But what about the other cities I mentioned? You guys!!!!!
KC and Cincy are legit comparisons. Lexington is not. My problem with your statement, and probably Brian's as well, is people who don't understand that city population is nearly always meaningless when comparing the various amenities that competing cities offer.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Cleveland undoubtedly has a very good restaurant scene.

The suggestion that it is impossible to find an enjoyable meal in Pittsburgh, however, strikes me as very strange.
I agree. There are some good restaurants in Pittsburgh.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:29 PM

367 posts, read 621,901 times
I have tried many restaurants, of course not all of them. I live in Bloomfield and the Italian food is down right awful. I'm not writing off Pittsburgh food by any means, give me some to try! I have yet to try Salt of the Earth, which I have been told is very good, need to make it a point to try that.

Moderator cut: personal

Last edited by Yac; 08-24-2011 at 03:14 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
I have tried many restaurants, of course not all of them. I live in Bloomfield and the Italian food is down right awful. I'm not writing off Pittsburgh food by any means, give me some to try!
The Italian food in Bloomfield is, indeed, a joke. Have you been to Piccolo Forno in Lawrenceville? Lidia's in the Strip District? They're both a hell of a lot better than what you find on Liberty Avenue. Piccolo Forno makes my favorite lasagne in town (with fresh pasta, Bechamel, and Bolognese instead of the standard mozzarella and ricotta).

Also, there is supposed to be a new place in Bloomfield, on the south side of Liberty not too far from the hospital, that doesn't suck. I don't know the name, and I haven't eaten there yet.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:57 PM

367 posts, read 621,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
The Italian food in Bloomfield is, indeed, a joke. Have you been to Piccolo Forno in Lawrenceville? Lidia's in the Strip District? They're both a hell of a lot better than what you find on Liberty Avenue. Piccolo Forno makes my favorite lasagne in town (with fresh pasta, Bechamel, and Bolognese instead of the standard mozzarella and ricotta).

Also, there is supposed to be a new place in Bloomfield, on the south side of Liberty not too far from the hospital, that doesn't suck. I don't know the name, and I haven't eaten there yet.
I have not tried Piccolo, but have eyed it up, haha! Are you thinking of Alexanders on Liberty? If so I have not tried it, but planned to this weekend or next week.

I have to say I may have been a bit dramatic to say I haven't enjoyed any meals, but I haven't had one that has been as good as some of the places I have frequented in other cities, including Cleveland. I have had some solid meals, but I'm searching for that one place I can continue to go back to and know that I am going to get a really good - great meal.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:35 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
I have not tried Piccolo, but have eyed it up, haha! Are you thinking of Alexanders on Liberty? If so I have not tried it, but planned to this weekend or next week.
Not Alexander's, no. It's in the other direction from the hospital.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:26 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,841 times
Quote:
I live in Bloomfield
You gotta go to the BBT then!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:17 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,096 times
If you don't mind crossing a river I can recommend Dish & Cafe Du Jour in my neighborhood (southside) & Mallorca which has a great rep, but can be hit or miss in my opinion (though a big hit when it is a hit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh