Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times

Advertisements

I like to cook high-end more than eat out high end, as my budget is kind of low end. Last night I braised a chicken and some veg, plus mashed potatoes. It was just delicious, and easy. It took more time to clean up after than it did for active preparation.

I didn't use anything fancy, or expensive (well, I got a good chicken). Actually, I saved money because I got everything half-price. I paid $15 for $30 worth of food at Right by Nature with a coupon I bought online.

I'll have chicken for dinner again tonight. I'm going to make stuffing/dressing for this meal, and mashed potatoes again. When I'm through with the chicken, I'll make chicken stock from the bones, and that will be the base for a white bean soup, which I'll flavor with rinds of Parmigiano-Reggiano [which Penn Mac generally has the best price on, btw] I have stored in the fridge.

I suppose all of this makes me a "foodie," but I can live with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 AM

781 posts, read 1,618,733 times
My dad, who has never lived in or near Pittsburgh called me today from Florida after he read national rave reviews about a new restaurant in Pittsburgh, Salt Of The Earth. I had heard of it, but Spoon was getting so much press I forgot about it.

He read about it either online or in a magazine called This Week ( ?). I could not locate the article online. I did find the restaurant online and it appears to be casual, fun and has an interesting Menu.

The mixologists blogs are pretty funny.

Btw, Anthony Bourdain disses everything for a living.

I also am not a foodie, I think offal is awful.

Last edited by Sideblinded; 12-14-2010 at 01:57 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
The magazine is called The Week; most of its online stuff is available only to subscribers. http://theweek.com/ But its reason for being is basically to provide excerpts and summaries from a wide variety of sources. The bit that included Salt of the Earth was showcasing 3 new restaurants in the US and simply excerpted China Millman's Post-Gazette review from November:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10315/1102269-242.stm

Salt of the Earth was a long-anticipated restaurant and is unlike anything else in town.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:11 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Everybody please calm down, do we really need a food fight in here ? In case you're confused, the answer is NO.
Yac.

C'mon, Yac, it's Christmas!

Old 12-18-2010, 01:42 AM

617 posts, read 1,422,895 times
I've seen a couple of travel channel shows where they show the Primanti Bros. sandwich and it looks delicious! Have any of you guys actually tried it?

Old 12-18-2010, 03:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
I've seen a couple of travel channel shows where they show the Primanti Bros. sandwich and it looks delicious! Have any of you guys actually tried it?
Yep. It wasn't bad, but I won't be rushing right over to PB the next time I'm in town.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:34 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Many times. It is OK, and very filling (as designed). But it wouldn't be on my list of food treats for visitors.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
A Primanti sandwich is pretty good because of the idea of having everything in sandwich form, but it isn't anything to write home about. NEVER get the number 2 seller the cheese steak. That is a disgrace. Get Roast Beer, Pastrami or Cap. If you want a real cheese steak that rivals any in the country, go to Peppi's and get an Ultra. That is a very respectable sandwich that makes Primanti's look kind of silly to those that are looking for higher quality.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Tastes great!!! after about 10 beers

Old 12-18-2010, 09:35 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
I've never had one, and I've walked by the Primanti's in Oakland and the Strip District many, many times. There's always something I'd rather eat in either neighborhood than a deli sandwich (hoagie?) with French Fries in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh