U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,261 posts, read 3,340,903 times
Reputation: 1489

Advertisements

Channel 11 To Air 'Fueling Pittsburgh' Program - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh

Quote:
PITTSBURGH -- Western Pennsylvania is about to enter its second energy boom. Like the oil industry pioneers of the 19th century, people who see the potential fortune are racing to get in on the action
This will air June 21st at 8 pm on WPXI. Looks like it will discuss Pittsburgh's role as an energy hub, including nuclear and natural gas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
6,304 posts, read 7,853,788 times
Reputation: 3958
It was an interesting program that I watched. Pittsburgh has great potential in this but there needs to be regulation to keep the environment and waterways in check.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,335 times
Reputation: 12
One big commercial for energy companies. How do you do a show like this and call it "news". A story about nuclear energy and then never mention that one little drawback---what to do with the nuclear waste? Could it be because a sponser was Westinghouse. Do a story about gas drilling and not address the really negative effects on people and animals living near the sites. Or questions the number of jobs supposedly being created. Seems the producer just accepted what he was told and never dug any deeper. If you are going to do a show like this don't put your news people in it. It ruins their credibility.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 AM
 
1,896 posts, read 3,049,157 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101112=213 View Post
One big commercial for energy companies. How do you do a show like this and call it "news". A story about nuclear energy and then never mention that one little drawback---what to do with the nuclear waste? Could it be because a sponser was Westinghouse. Do a story about gas drilling and not address the really negative effects on people and animals living near the sites. Or questions the number of jobs supposedly being created. Seems the producer just accepted what he was told and never dug any deeper. If you are going to do a show like this don't put your news people in it. It ruins their credibility.
i think the Gas Companies, in this case Range Resources, are doing their part in trying to educate the area about Natural Gas Drilling...

with that being said, unless you're living under a rock, the news broadcasters have done their part to highlight the negative impacts, accidents, and lack of regulation by the gov't...but for the most part, they tend to just slam the Gas Companies for sake of creating drama, which is what drives their business...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 AM
 
20,273 posts, read 29,827,185 times
Reputation: 2898
With so many people with agendas on all sides of these issues, it is basically impossible to get an unbiased assessment. It doesn't help that modern mass-media news is more about entertainment than providing in-depth information and serious analysis.

I think the best we as individuals can do is understand that everyone has an angle, but look for the admissions against interest, verifiable claims, and so forth to assemble a reasonably well-grounded picture.

And having done that--I'm still more or less of the opinion that done right, there isn't an unacceptable risk associated with shale gas, and that it is economically feasible to exploit Marcellus in particular while still doing things right. The problem is making sure the relevant companies are doing things right, and not cutting corners to increase their profit margins. That is going to take not only smart regulations (with respect to both casings and waste water handling and treatment), but also the political will and funding necessary to make sure those regulations are enforced. And ultimately the industry should be responsible for funding those efforts.

Again, I think all that is doable--provided the political will is there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 09:07 AM
 
1,896 posts, read 3,049,157 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
With so many people with agendas on all sides of these issues, it is basically impossible to get an unbiased assessment. It doesn't help that modern mass-media news is more about entertainment than providing in-depth information and serious analysis.

I think the best we as individuals can do is understand that everyone has an angle, but look for the admissions against interest, verifiable claims, and so forth to assemble a reasonably well-grounded picture.

And having done that--I'm still more or less of the opinion that done right, there isn't an unacceptable risk associated with shale gas, and that it is economically feasible to exploit Marcellus in particular while still doing things right. The problem is making sure the relevant companies are doing things right, and not cutting corners to increase their profit margins. That is going to take not only smart regulations (with respect to both casings and waste water handling and treatment), but also the political will and funding necessary to make sure those regulations are enforced. And ultimately the industry should be responsible for funding those efforts.

Again, I think all that is doable--provided the political will is there.
agreed, i think it's crucial that the people in those areas involved are "hands on", and being active in doing their due dillegence...the Marcellus is still very young in it's exploration, still plenty of time to do things right...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 10:32 AM
 
Location: RVA
2,420 posts, read 4,318,515 times
Reputation: 1201
This was awful. A 1 hour commercial for Consol. The energy bigwigs had nicely-set, uninterrupted "interviews", while the person who is critical of the industry had a harsh green screen and the camera cut to the interviewer glaring at him 20/20 style. Everything else was a soft-focus love letter to the natural gas and coal industries. Anyone who didn't see this for what it was has been hypnotized by the TV set and learned nothing from the last 150 years of this region.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
 
1,896 posts, read 3,049,157 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
This was awful. A 1 hour commercial for Consol. The energy bigwigs had nicely-set, uninterrupted "interviews", while the person who is critical of the industry had a harsh green screen and the camera cut to the interviewer glaring at him 20/20 style. Everything else was a soft-focus love letter to the natural gas and coal industries. Anyone who didn't see this for what it was has been hypnotized by the TV set and learned nothing from the last 150 years of this region.
umm, did you happen to catch the HBO program called "GasLand"? if you haven't noticed, energy bigwigs are getting beat up on a daily basis...

if you don't mind, what's your stance on Natural Gas Drilling? for or against? and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,335 times
Reputation: 12
PA does not have a good track record for overseeing this type of thing. Just look at the fly ash issue or mountain top mining and you can see the future for marcellus shale. I do not think the political will is there to make sure proper regulation is done. Just take a look at the oil spill in the Gulf or the huge coal ash slide down south. Please one small documentary is not "beating up" big wigs. We have to be smart about our energy choices. Nuclear may not be a bad option if we can figure out what to do with waste. Almost all options have negatives. we have to figure out how to deal with them. I think our political systems is broke. Just look at who is donating money to political candidates and then look at their voting record on regulation. Perhaps campaign financing reform would help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM
 
20,273 posts, read 29,827,185 times
Reputation: 2898
It is indeed true that all options have their negatives. And that is quite an important thing to keep in mind--cheap natural gas would partially substitute for petroleum and coal. And all the other notable alternatives won't be capable of fully substituting for petroleum and coal for a long time to come.

So that is why I lean toward trying to do this right, as opposed to not doing at all. I'm fully aware that no regulatory system will be perfect, and all the more so in a highly imperfect political system. But since the alternative is more use of petroleum and coal, you have the same basic regulatory issues on all sides. Accordingly, I see no real choice but to allow shale gas, then do our best to keep it as well-regulated as we can.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top