U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM

7 posts, read 5,405 times

Advertisements

My first post on this site.
I have been offered a job opportunity in PA. The only stipulation is I have to live within 4 hours of Canonsburg. I know next to nothing about PA apart from some rushed internet research and have never visited. I can see there are some really beautiful spots.
I would be interested to hear any recomendations of good areas to live within this area (and where to avoid). Preferably somewhere scenic, nice town rather than big city and with a good school for my kids.
All opinions much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:18 PM

859 posts, read 1,394,651 times
4 hours of Canonsburg? That gives you a lot of options...besides a ton of places in PA, you could even live in Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio, and maybe even Canada/New York haha

Old 06-23-2010, 06:34 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,179,447 times
Not quite Canada , but bits of far western NY, yes. And indeed most of Ohio, a good chunk of WV, all of western Maryland, even parts of Virginia. Parts of those last three states can put you within an hour or so of Washington DC, should that interest you for any reason, while still being within 4 hours of Canonsburg.

It's such a wide area. Lots of places are scenic in various ways, so you're going to have to narrow it more. Any specific types of outdoor recreation you want to be near? What sort of scenery? Do you want to be snowed in in the winter on some really rural mountain somewhere? How close do you want to be to larger urban area? (For various reasons: shopping, airport, cultural events, sporting events, whatever) How often do you need to go to Canonsburg? (If every month, say, or more often, maybe you don't want to live 4 hours out.) And on and on.

This is not an absolute, but in rough generalization the smaller the area the less likely you will find an outstanding public school. Serviceable, yes, but since the school districts in PA are chopped up so small a really rural district doesn't have many resources at its disposal. I'm not sure this would tilt in favor of any other states. WV has big county-wide districts, but that won't guarantee that the schools are better. I'm not familiar with OH or MD schools.

If you're looking to buy property, the property taxes will be lower in WV. The income tax is somewhat higher though, and you gain a personal property tax as well (for most, that mainly means a tax on your car value every year). Can't speak as much to details on other states.

Just a few random ideas to get you started thinking about things.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:56 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,443,353 times
If you want a public school- Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebanon, or Peters can't be beat, and you'd be within an hour of Canonsburg and our very uncrowded airport. 'Probably some very good schools in Columbus and Cleveland too.
You must have other criteria? Cost? Recreational?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:11 PM

9,741 posts, read 8,764,532 times
Take a look at some of the Pittsburgh suburbs along I-79. Most places from Washington north to Cranberry are nice.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 5,405 times
Thanks for the replies so far. reading around the bulletin board has given me plenty to research.
If it narrows it down at all: We would prefer a good public school rather than private. I see a lot of recomendations for schools and communities around Pittsburgh (St Clair, Mt Lebanon, Fox Chapel, Hampton, Pine Richland, N. Alleghany, Quaker valley, Peters tshp, N. Hills) but nobody rooting for anywhere more rural. Am I missing something or are there no nice communities with first rate schools outside the immediate metropolitan area?
Our main hobbies are biking and skiing...not sure how East Coast skiing will compare to Colorado but time will tell. We like the snow in winter as long as we are not going to be unable to get out the door for weeks... unfortunately I have to get to work occassionally!
I would only anticipate needing to travel to Canonsburg about once a month.
We love communities that are neighbourly and walkable. Local facilities and nice restaurants would be a big plus. Love museums, local history and the theatre. Of course Pittsburgh would be within driving distance for a lot of that.
As said before, any advice much appreciated to narrow my (rather considerable) options.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:57 PM

457 posts, read 863,787 times
Washington County is a great area. I don't know why you wouldn't want to live there and have a short commute and low taxes.

This last winter was long with plenty of snow. Lots of people were snowed in. The worst was a storm that brought over 2 feet of snow. Again, I would consider somewhere close to Canonsburg.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:48 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,804,058 times
Seven Springs Mountain Resort Takes Next Step In Process To Revive Laurel Mountain State Park Ski Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh