U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:58 AM

69,179 posts, read 58,315,697 times
LOL! So let the young ones think it's hip. Maybe we just know better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 08:22 AM

42,527 posts, read 47,662,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Finally, you may think it strange to rehab a house on the inside while leaving the outside in less-than-pristine condition, but that's actually pretty common when a neighborhood is just starting to gentrify, for a couple of reasons:
There's a fourth reason: to keep the county assessors from raising taxes. It wasn't too long ago that taxes were raised simply from an assessor driving by the house. They only recently started coming inside to check for improvements. They caught on that Pittsburghers purposely make it look like they live in dumps to save money on taxes.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
That is what I was implying when I said you didn't know what you were looking at, looking for.

We're close enough in age for me to know that too!

See, it had nothing to do with your brain cells!

Old 06-24-2007, 08:34 AM

36,096 posts, read 56,016,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a fourth reason: to keep the county assessors from raising taxes. It wasn't too long ago that taxes were raised simply from an assessor driving by the house. They only recently started coming inside to check for improvements. They caught on that Pittsburghers purposely make it look like they live in dumps to save money on taxes.
Maybe that worked in Pittsburgh but not around here. A building permit triggers an automatic reassessment, and the nature of the permit tells the assessor what improvements to look for. Of course, there's the issue of people making improvements without getting a permit... that got one of my friends out of her lease. "Say, do you have a permit for the rehab you're doing on the building at the other end of the block? So I will get my entire security deposit back, right?"

I have often speculated, but have not seen any evidence, that one reason so many homes in Pittsburgh sit unimproved is the disincentive created by the high property taxes.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
A building permit triggers an automatic reassessment, and the nature of the permit tells the assessor what improvements to look for.
Building permit? What's a building permit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover
Of course, there's the issue of people making improvements without getting a permit... that got one of my friends out of her lease. "Say, do you have a permit for the rehab you're doing on the building at the other end of the block? So I will get my entire security deposit back, right?"
Most Pittsburghers aren't likely to turn in their neighbors.

Quote:
I have often speculated, but have not seen any evidence, that one reason so many homes in Pittsburgh sit unimproved is the disincentive created by the high property taxes.
Sort of kind of. It actually worked in the reverse with the most recent county wide reassessements. People avoided improving the outside of their houses for even minor increases. (Most working class Pittsburghers are not into appearances.) When the county reassessed properties by going inside the homes, some people finally decided to improve the outside since the county raised their taxes anyway.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70

That is what I was implying when I said you didn't know what you were looking at, looking for.
Hopes: So you're actually saying I'm right about something? Wow! It didn't sound like that, though.

And Drover: that's how building permits work here in Colorado, too. You'd never get away with a total rehab of the interior w/o one. Especially if you hire some of the work done. The contractors don't want to go to jail, b/c they can't make any money that way! And I wouldn't be so sure that most Pittsburghers wouldn't turn in their neighbors. That's just human nature.
The asking prices of the homes on Hopes' link were pretty high by Pittsburgh standards. Which squares with what I have always thought and what my niece said two weeks ago: the homes you want to live in will cost you.

And I still think the South Side is over-rated. At best.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Hopes: So you're actually saying I'm right about something? Wow! It didn't sound like that, though.
Yes and no. You were right from your place in time. You're not right about what is hip. That's for the youngsters to define. Eventually, Southside will be completely gentrified, and more affluent people will make the area more like what you consider hip. The truly hip people will move on to make another neighborhood hip. It's a process.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:28 AM

I think I am truly hip! LOL!

Old 06-24-2007, 11:37 AM

485 posts, read 900,933 times
Default hip

Quote:
I think I am truly hip! LOL!
... so did I ... but then the cute young twenty-somethings started calling me 'sir'.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:06 PM
PPG

507 posts, read 1,005,540 times
I think by the time you hit 40 you are automatically "unhip"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh