Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:17 AM

121 posts, read 367,754 times

Advertisements

So Carson Street is similar to some places in other cities? Yeah, so what. I think everyone knew that.

But it's also got it's own history that is different from those other places. I'm not saying it's better or worse, but I am saying it is unique in its own ways.

This thread has grown so much that I haven't read every post, so I hope I am not repeating anyone, but here are some things that make the South Side interesting:

-The South Side Works section is located on the site of a former steel mill. The Hot Metal Bridge that connects it to the other side of the river was once used to transport steel.
-East Carson St. is a national historic district.
-In 1985, East Carson St. was chosen to take part in the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s "Main Street Urban Demonstration Program." In 1996 it became one of 5 districts in the nation to win the Trust’s “Great American Main Street” award.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 12:21 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times
First I want to say 0.5 percent is not that big of a loss in population. The thing with Pittsburgh is that alot of people prefer to live in the far suburbs of the city then the urban areas. The city limits of pittsburgh are only 53 sq. miles which is relatively small. Pittsburgh is actually alot more populated then people think. The biggest loss of population is in the actual city, the msa population has been reported as -0.5 percent in 06 which is no where near worst in the country. The msa only includes western pa. but anyone from pittsburgh knows that the pittsburgh area is really western pa., the panhandle and northern wv., extreme southeastern oh., and extreme western md. with these areas not included pittsburgh is still in the top 25 in metro size. And for as having to move, houses around here are cheap for the size of the city depending on where you are moving from you might already have enough money saved to live off of in pitts. for several months, like alot of people I met that moved here from NYC. We have nice suburbs, I live in south park its only 9 miles from the city but it seems furter because of the park and all the trees it is a rural looking area with all the good stuff that comes from being not to far from the city. If you like city living I would suggest squirrel hill(kinda pricey for the pittsburgh, but not that bad to people from out of town), mount washington(extremly pricey), or some sections of oakland. If you want nice suburbs I would say Bethel Park, Mt. Lebonan, North Hills(Ross township and Mcandless township), Castle Shanon, Fox Capel, Oakmont, Or Monroeville. Monroeville and North Hills are towns in themselves so you really can get what ever you need from those communities so you wouldn't have to commute for to much. Avoid the East End communities they are known for crime.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,783 times
Me And My Family Are Considiring A Fresh New Start To A New Place With A Fresh Start How Would Ptsbrg Be Is It A Place To Relocate Are There Any Jobs I Wrk In Retail Now

Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 PM

214 posts, read 241,710 times
There is a lot of retail jobs. What type of retail do you work in?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 PM

13 posts, read 25,466 times
I moved from Pittsburgh to Texas 2 years ago! I could not land a good paying job in IT! Very frustrating after spending a 4 years in college. I'm very resoucreful and I have an huge network but nothing ever fell thru. Some people like it their. But for me, I'll never go back! Poor schools, and constant construction. You can flip property for a good profit. Most of the houses are old and most of the new development and homes are in lower class neighborhoods that has been suppressed for so long. They tore down projects and highrises to build new homes and apartment. Which looks nice for the moment. hopefully it will stay like that. Compared to other cities, Pittsburgh is old and stale. They say it's on the rise. But like I said I never want to go back! Good luck. U may like it! Depends what you ar elooking for. What are you looking for?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:59 PM

13 posts, read 25,466 times
Default Old city

I moved from Pittsburgh to Texas 2 years ago! I could not land a good paying job in IT! Very frustrating after spending a 4 years in college. I'm very resoucreful and I have an huge network but nothing ever fell thru. Some people like it their. But for me, I'll never go back! Poor schools, and constant construction. You can flip property for a good profit. Most of the houses are old and most of the new development and homes are in lower class neighborhoods that has been suppressed for so long. They tore down projects and highrises to build new homes and apartment. Which looks nice for the moment. hopefully it will stay like that. Compared to other cities, Pittsburgh is old and stale. They say it's on the rise. But like I said I never want to go back! Good luck. U may like it! Depends what you ar elooking for. What are you looking for?

Old 11-04-2007, 05:27 PM

101 posts, read 311,705 times
I have to say, my husband and I both are in healthcare and we applied for jobs at hopsitals all over the east coast/north east and we got more response from the hospitals in Pittsburgh than anywhere else! Finding a job there isn't my problem, its finding housing! I browse craigslist daily and it seems you need A++ credit or a huge deposit and we have neither. We were id theft victims a few years ago and its been a battle. So we got jobs in Pitt and can't find housing! Go figure!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh