Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I had heard a while ago that people in Brookline were lobbying for a Aldi there, since I don't think there's any kind of grocery store there anymore. But maybe it would be too close to the Bethel Park one.
Went past the old Foodland site (Brookline-McNeilly Road) this weekend and the old building has been torn down and a huge sign saying "Coming Soon-Aldi" is posted., so I would think there will be one there by the end of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 PM

366 posts, read 944,349 times
As someone who lives south of Carson St in the SS Works area, it can't come soon enough. I walk to the Giant Eagle whenever I can, however it is still a 15 minute walk. Not bad, however it really adds up when carrying 4 bags.

And have any posters actually been to the South Side Giant Eagle lately? Probably not. It sucks.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post

And have any posters actually been to the South Side Giant Eagle lately? Probably not. It sucks.
I stop in when in the area, usually to pick up something quick for dinner or snack. A buddy of mine is one of the cops that work there. He says between the shoplifting and occasional fights, it keeps him busy.

I must say, the lines do get pretty long at some hours of the day. Unreal!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,259 times
You should give Aldi's a try, if you haven't already. It's great store if you are looking for the basics with no frills. Their private label products are super and the price points beat Giant Eagle hands down. It's a great store for smaller families. Try their coffee and snack products. Bargains abound much like a warehouse club w/o having to buy in bulk.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
I personally don't have a problem with Aldi's (I shop at the Ardmore Blvd. store for stocking up) but you would think an Aldi's would be more useful in a neighborhood that doesn't have a grocery store (Hill District or Polish Hill.)

Old 06-29-2010, 04:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
A lot of those people renting nearby are younger and are overpaying for rent. They probably have less disposable income than they would like. Aldi's may not be sexy, but their products are top quality and your bill at check out will be about half of what it would be at Giant Eagle, all else being equal. There is nothing wrong with saving money regardless of income.
Exactly. You don't get rich by spending money, but by saving and investing it! "Upscale" usually relates more to debt and keeping up with the Joneses, rather than income level.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Exactly. You don't get rich by spending money, but by saving and investing it! "Upscale" usually relates more to debt and keeping up with the Joneses, rather than income level.
Sometimes when I see a fabulous (or even semi-fabulous) car drive by, one bought to impress, my first reaction is to wonder how much the monthly payment is.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
A lot of those people renting nearby are younger and are overpaying for rent. They probably have less disposable income than they would like. Aldi's may not be sexy, but their products are top quality and your bill at check out will be about half of what it would be at Giant Eagle, all else being equal. There is nothing wrong with saving money regardless of income.
Young people overpaying for rent to live in swanky areas are unlikely to want to shop at Aldis. If they were budget minded they likely wouldn't be overpaying for rent.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I know a lot of people who, in a certain stage of their life, basically were willing to pay for an apartment in a fun location and then try to handle the rest of their budget with pocket change.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Young people overpaying for rent to live in swanky areas are unlikely to want to shop at Aldis. If they were budget minded they likely wouldn't be overpaying for rent.
That depends. Just because you are living somewhere where the rent is higher doesn't mean you aren't willing to cut corners anywhere else. Maybe they just like to live in an area where there is more to do. Swank really may not have to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh