Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:38 PM

9 posts, read 17,680 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. First post. But been reading a bunch. The wife and I have been considering moving to Pittsburgh.

We are both in the medical field. She is a tech at Childrens Hospital in DC right now and I am a paramedic. So hospitals closing would be a big deal to us if we move up there.
Basically, thanks for posting all the information on here because it helps a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 AM

296 posts, read 560,870 times
There are Ohio Valley, St Clair, Jefferson, Sewickley Valley hospitals that are not part of UPMC or WPAHS.

I am no fan of UPMC and the reduction of West Penn is unfortunate, but its not like WPAHS or its predecessor has exactly had a great business plan for the past 15 years.

I wouldn't be too worried about moving to Pittsburgh and not being able to find any hospital beds, there are still plenty.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,729 times
Excela health system out here in Westmoreland Co is another option. Even as close as it is to us, we would insist on AGH or West Penn for major things, including major traumas, if it was safe to do so.

We try to only use UPMC for Children's when it is needed.

Westmoreland Hospital missed a toddler fracture in my daughter's leg when she was 18 mos (not easy to diagnose w/ X-rays but her symptoms, after a little research, should have told the ER doc. to follow up). We had to schedule an appt. the next day with a pediatric ortho at Childrens (went to the Wexford office) and they were top notch.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:00 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,001 times
Default for eng48ine

Re hospital closing. D/t changing demographics the inner city is losing hospital beds but UPMC is building a suburban hospital in Monroeville and despite the huge number of layoffs by West Penn Allegheny they are building a mini hospital in the South Hills but I don't know how many they expect to employ. The downtown Pittsburgh has seen a recent increase in population-who knows maybe someday these closed beds will have to reopen. It just depends if that trend continues and by how much

Old 07-02-2010, 07:45 PM

275 posts, read 628,474 times
Did you ever consider how Pittsburgh would look without UPMC, or the many people that are employed there? That along with the university. Detriot comes to mind. If UPMC starts to spiral down you will hear one loud sound, that of a toliet flushing. Medicine is big right now and it takes a strong competitive medical center to be successful. Their success is ours.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
Did you ever consider how Pittsburgh would look without UPMC, or the many people that are employed there? That along with the university. Detriot comes to mind.
Some blogger wrote the same thing to the delight of all of the UPMC fat cats.

I pray for the day that for-profit health care comes to an end.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
No doubt health care is big in Pittsburgh, but I think people sometimes overstate its weight--we have lots of other things going on these days in finance, education, professional services, energy, transportation, high-tech manufacturing, and so on.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:07 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
Did you ever consider how Pittsburgh would look without UPMC, or the many people that are employed there? That along with the university. Detriot comes to mind. If UPMC starts to spiral down you will hear one loud sound, that of a toliet flushing. Medicine is big right now and it takes a strong competitive medical center to be successful. Their success is ours.
A strong medical center IS important. But, does it really need to be 20 hospitals and 400 doctor's offices strong? Heavy research and breakthrough medical techniques are only being done at a handful of UPMC locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Some blogger wrote the same thing to the delight of all of the UPMC fat cats.

I pray for the day that for-profit health care comes to an end.
UPMC isn't for-profit

Old 07-03-2010, 01:36 PM

441 posts, read 766,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post

UPMC isn't for-profit
At least that's what they tell the IRS

Old 07-06-2010, 08:10 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,729 times
Believe me, they have plenty of shell companies owned by them or their board members providing services for them (therapy, etc.) that they get plenty of "profit" for their "not for profit" operations.

They depress the wages for the entire health field in PGH because of their sheer size (good for their "not for profit" profits) and they are a HUGE drain on PGH's tax base because of their tax exempt status. I am by no means against big business and such but I would like to see UPMC treated like the big business it is and not the tax exempt "not for profit" entity they claim to be. PGH and most likely the patients would be better off in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh