Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:13 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
That's because our radio stations suck (except for the college radio stations and WYEP.) Without a proper alternative station, bands will pass us by because thereis no promotion. And that is sad. I like classic rock as much as the next Pittsburgher, but I wish Pittsburgh would embrace new music as well.
There are shows every night of the week, from houses on up to art galleries, bars, and clubs. All kinds of "alternative" music. Also, WYEP sucks hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 06:39 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
There are shows every night of the week, from houses on up to art galleries, bars, and clubs. All kinds of "alternative" music. Also, WYEP sucks hard.
True, but those are smaller shows. Bigger shows could come but don't because of lack of a local media outlet to promote them. Bands like the Dead Weather or Arcade Fire skip over Pittsburgh becasue most people have no idea who they are. When was Radiohead here last?

Old 07-03-2010, 07:43 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Goth can be a fun genre actually. Type O Negative rules and I enjoy HIM and 69 Eyez (are they considered Goth by the hardcore scene folks? I'm out of the loop). The Cure and The Cult are obviously awesome as well, but who knows if they're Goth these days either. There's also great Goth songs that I like here and there as well (like Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead).
Quote:
I'm not that big on goth, but I like the Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie, Bauhaus and The Cult (but I don't call them goth really.)
Those are all bands I use to like back 'in the day'.

Funny, I never thought of them as goth though...just thought of them as good bands.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 AM

419 posts, read 448,161 times
You seem to nice and happy for a goth kid. You must be one of those retro late 2010 style vampire kids.

Goth kids don't use this emoticon:
Goth kids only use these emoticons:

Last edited by Urban_HillBilly; 07-03-2010 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-03-2010, 08:35 AM

419 posts, read 448,161 times
Quote:
That's because our radio stations suck (except for the college radio stations and WYEP.) Without a proper alternative station, bands will pass us by because thereis no promotion. And that is sad. I like classic rock as much as the next Pittsburgher, but I wish Pittsburgh would embrace new music as well.
WYEP is bringing the Framing Rips here in two and a half weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_HillBilly View Post
WYEP is bringing the Framing Rips here in two and a half weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know. I was shocked when they announced it. WYEP is actually doing well with that Devo and My Morning Jacket at Station Square. I am impressed (thank you to Drusky Entertainment as well, nice variety this year). My big problem with WYEP isthat they lean to heavilly on the bluegrass music and folk music. A little is OK, but they tend to rely on it too much.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:12 PM

142 posts, read 224,263 times
No, non existent, and im pissed about it. Nothing like Bauhaus or Alien Sex Fiend and Sisters of Mercy. I think Pegasus used to have a goth night, but thats also a gay bar(you might be into that, I dont know). The altar bar on the strip sometimes hosts bands like the misfits, if you are into that. There isnt much of a local scene as far as I can tell though.

With that said, I moved into Pittsburgh sort of hoping for a goth scene. There was actually a better one in the middle of nowhere where I used to live(pop: 8000). I havent been to a goth show since I moved here. Most of it, with that said, "exists" here(very rare), but the good bands(ie: Cruxshadows etc), its like a $20-25 cover. Im used to paying like $5-7 from where I used to live, so this is a huge leap for me. I have a decent job, but I feel bad about "wasting" money on something thats usually a gamble(new local shows). Most of its DJ stuff, and im just not into that scene.

You would think with Pittsburghs history(a lot of working class people), there would be more of a goth scene. Guess not.

Last edited by metalforever; 07-03-2010 at 04:21 PM..

Old 07-03-2010, 04:23 PM

I find myself seeing the concerts are better in Cleveland, Columbus, Baltimore and DC. And I'm not just talking about goth, but alternative, new wave, indie and and adult alternative bands. Lately we've been getting a flood of hair bands. That's good. I like hair bands, but Pittsburgh needs a better variety, in my opinion.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:54 PM

5 posts, read 13,425 times
Thanks to everyone who has replied with usable information! It's great to know that there are some pretty open-minded people with good tastes, even if there isn't *really* a goth scene.

The suggestions you have made are really great, and I appreciate your pointing me in the right directions!

Maybe I'll see some of you around...

Old 07-03-2010, 07:42 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times
Actually, in the mid to late 80s and into the 90s, Pittsburgh had a Goth scene and an alternative radio station with wattage. The old 100.7 WXXP was "The Station that dared to be different." They would play Goth or Dark Wave bands like Siouxsie and the Banshees, Peter Murphy, Bauhaus, Jesus and Mary Chain, New Order, Joy Division, etc. The station was on the air from early 1986 until August 1988. They would have a lot of events and bring a lot of bands into town. I remember seeing The Cure and The Psychedelic Furs in successive weeks in 1987 at The Syria Mosque. WXXP would also have a lot of gigs and WXXP nights centered around a night club called The Upstage. It was on Forbes Avenue in Oakland where on IGA grocer now is located. Many on this forum may remember The Upstage since it only closed a few years ago. They were pretty much still playing primarily alternative 80s up until the time that they closed and that is a very good thing.
This WXXP/Upstage/Goth scene was fairly decent. Most of the gigs and concerts were packed. WXXP appealed to twenty to thirty somethings steeped in the underground and liked college radio. It also appealed to a larger demographic thanks to MTV and shows like 120 minutes and Alternative Nation. This is pre-grunge days when alternative was alternative and not mainstream kiddies get home from school and see Eddie Vedder and Curt Cobain and call it alternative. These shows were on late at night. Just like how college radio was "Left of the Dial" and low wattage. You had to try and seek this music out rather than it being shoved down your throat. Anyway, being nuwaver88, I know something about this genre. Many Goths at the time felt that Pittsburgh was a natural for Goth because it resembled some of the industrial cities in England Like Manchester and Birmingham, where Goth was influenced by the dreariness and the cities ripped backsides. There was a Goth scene here, but it was not in your face like WDVE. In fact, it very well have been a reaction to mainstream stations like WDVE. Goth is not supposed to be mainstream. Goth is here. You just have to find it. That is how it should be. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w9sCTtZ9EA

Last edited by nuwaver88; 07-03-2010 at 07:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh