Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:43 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times

Advertisements

Just an idea, and maybe not a popular one, but if schools aren't that important to you, maybe consider a few of the more transitional neighborhoods. Homestead, for example, isn't that bad. If you like the house, and it's cheap enough, what is there to lose? Homestead may rise in a few years (or it may not), but if you like the community you can get involved and work to make it a better place. Same goes for Mt. Washington, which in my opinion is in the gem category. Windgap, on the West End, has lots of comparably newer (1950s era) housing with driveways and yards. Also consider Millvale and Swissvale.

People warned me not to buy a house in Stowe Township (a poor working class area), but overall it has been a great experience.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 07-15-2010 at 01:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:00 AM

16 posts, read 32,692 times
(bit of insomnia tonight)

Several really nice houses on Mt. Washington, but pretty close to Beltzhoover. Is it just harder to sell there, or is it actually bad neighborhood?

Edit: just saw your post.

Despite the few hang-ups (car break-in, house attempted break-in) from living in SouthSide, we've really enjoyed it. We're somewhat concerned on being able to re-sell at some point, but as far as I've ever heard, Mt. Washington is hardly notorious.

The sex-offender list scared me away from the Homestead one. A whoooooole lot of them bunched around the potential house. ^^;;

Last edited by Missmally; 07-15-2010 at 03:10 AM..

Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Greenfield and Morningside are excellent suggestions. There are some modest places in Bloomfield too, which is very convenient to where you work and a stable neighborhood with lots of amenities. Regent Square, my neighborhood, is very nice, but as you are discovering it may be a bit out of your price range. However, you could look at some adjacent areas--due north in Park Place, a part of Wilkinsburg I call Whitney Park (Biddle and south, west of the Busway), Edgewood, parts of Swissvale, and Swisshelm Park. Note that if you live in one of the suburbs, your wage tax is 1% instead of 3%. However, your property tax rates, particularly in Wilkinsburg, will be higher (although Wilkinsburg has a tax abatement program if you do any improvements).

It is very tough finding listings for Polish Hill, in part because lots of houses change hands without being listed. You can try searching for Lawrenceville or Bloomfield.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times
I would put a plug in for my neighborhood, Sheraden, though we've had enough bad publicity lately to scare anyone away. I more reasonable location for you may be Crafton Heights. There are some nice neighborhoods along Middletown Road, especially on the section between Berry St. and Windgap. This is the edge of the city but commutes are quick and you have easy access to public transportation (including the West Busway). Ingram is a nice, inexpensive area, too but it is just outside of the city.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 AM

91 posts, read 237,775 times
Is the first time home buyers program still in effect? Or is this different than the Federal program that gave up to $8000 to first timers?
Also, I know it might not be the direction you are looking for, but I rented in Verona (specifically the Rosedale area) for a while, and the commute to Oakland wasn't that bad. Houses are in that price range and it is a nice neighborhood also. Oakmont is nicer, but the housing/taxes are a ton higher. However, most of Verona is Penn Hills School District, so my opinion is to avoid it if kids are a possibility. Some areas go to Oakmont's schools (Riverview?) and that is a nice plus, but they are few and far between.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:21 AM

92 posts, read 145,706 times
I live in mt washington ...have for years ... rented there in my 20s..and ended up buying.

you can get a lot of house for your money ...and you cant beat the convenient location.

I actually live on the "mt washington" side...where others have suggested it is "sketchy" but I disagree... someone point out a $60-80k house in the east end that you can actually live in ... cause there's tons on the mount.

I cant say enough good things about my 'hood...

Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM

92 posts, read 145,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Same goes for Mt. Washington, which in my opinion is in the gem category.

warms my heart ..thanks

Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Maybe take a look at Sharpsburg, across the river from Morningside.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:41 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I'll throw in a shout out for Beechview, since somebody has to.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:46 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'll throw in a shout out for Beechview, since somebody has to.
Well, you know you make me wanna'
(Shout) Kick my heels up and
(Shout) Throw my hands up and
(Shout) Throw my head back and
(Shout) Come on now
(Shout) Don't forget to say you will

Don't forget to say yeah x5

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh