Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
Based on the vandalism reports, it is higher.

Also remember that it's a fraction the size of Carrick.
Source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM

480 posts, read 611,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Source?

http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/pol...ual_Report.pdf

Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 AM

145 posts, read 283,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
Also the whole chair thing is ILLEGAL anyway, just because the police let it slide (for better or for worse is in the eye of the beholder) doesn't mean it's legal.... So I don't think the police would bat an eyelash if someone reported you stealing their chair they were using to break the law.
I wouldn't be so much concerned with someone reporting the chair stolen as I would be with finding my vehicle vandalized. The ensuing headache wouldn't be worth the hassle, regardless of whether you could prove the "chair owner" was responsible.

I choose to find another spot and move on.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
So a place stacked with cops every weekend has more cops reporting incidents. Amazing!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepoint View Post
I wouldn't be so much concerned with someone reporting the chair stolen as I would be with finding my vehicle vandalized. The ensuing headache wouldn't be worth the hassle, regardless of whether you could prove the "chair owner" was responsible.

I choose to find another spot and move on.

I'll counter that logic by saying that the chair is typically placed in front of the building of the person who owns it. Regardless of whether it could be proven that the "chair owner" caused any damage to a vandalized vehicle, the chair owner should hopefully realize that the damage to a house will far out weigh any damage they could do to a vehicle over losing "their" spot. Payback is a "beech" and the tide goes both ways.

I personally move every chair/cone/crate I find during the non winter months because it is (as others have said) illegal to put them there. Far too many people in this city have the rather selfish mentality that they take priority over everyone else around them. If a homeowner/tenant can't physically park somewhere else (ie they're very old or physically challenged) they can quite easily have the spot reserved for them by the city. I've actually had yinzers harass friends of mine because they happened to park in an open space in front of a house while visiting me. Why?

Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I'll counter that logic by saying that the chair is typically placed in front of the building of the person who owns it. Regardless of whether it could be proven that the "chair owner" caused any damage to a vandalized vehicle, the chair owner should hopefully realize that the damage to a house will far out weigh any damage they could do to a vehicle over losing "their" spot. Payback is a "beech" and the tide goes both ways.

I personally move every chair/cone/crate I find during the non winter months because it is (as others have said) illegal to put them there. Far too many people in this city have the rather selfish mentality that they take priority over everyone else around them. If a homeowner/tenant can't physically park somewhere else (ie they're very old or physically challenged) they can quite easily have the spot reserved for them by the city. I've actually had yinzers harass friends of mine because they happened to park in an open space in front of a house while visiting me. Why?
Agreed 100%. I, too, would put my hazard lights on, get out, physically move any lawn chairs blocking on-street parking spots, get back into my car, and then park. People do not "own" the on-street spots directly in front of their properties, despite what they may have been told. It's also NOT impossible to get the city to get a reserved spot if they are somehow challenged.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:44 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,561 times
...I'll settle this argument!!!!

You don't want to dumb down the South Side, mainly because that is Jeff Reed's natural habitat. Disturbing the Jeff Reed's natural habitat may cause it to migrate to a new territory..now tell me, would you want THAT hanging around your neck of the woods? It's best that the South Side takes one for the team so the rest of the city can be safe...just one google picture search of his name is enough to burn the average person's retinas permanently. You people need to appreciate all that the South Side has done for you over the past so many years by containing the unspeakable hell that is Jeff Reed.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Agreed 100%. I, too, would put my hazard lights on, get out, physically move any lawn chairs blocking on-street parking spots, get back into my car, and then park. People do not "own" the on-street spots directly in front of their properties, despite what they may have been told. It's also NOT impossible to get the city to get a reserved spot if they are somehow challenged.
Ummmm..........how much does it cost to repair a car that has been keyed?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:06 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Ummmm..........how much does it cost to repair a car that has been keyed?
I'm willing to bet that its significantly less than a broken window or structural damage to a home. Doesn't make much sense to mess with someone's vehicle because they moved your chair/cone that you illegally put in front of your house does it?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 AM

408 posts, read 991,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I'm willing to bet that its significantly less than a broken window or structural damage to a home. Doesn't make much sense to mess with someone's vehicle because they moved your chair/cone that you illegally put in front of your house does it?
If the key digs into the metal each panel that is keyed needs to be replaced or worked on to smooth it out.. then they need to be repainted, and the new paint blended. It's possible you can be looking at a couple grand for one side of the car..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh