Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 PM

398 posts, read 702,107 times

Advertisements

I think you are right, Carl. It does not look like a American-tour-package-stop version of Europe, but most of "real" Europe is crowded, narrow, and a bit run down. The only thing that makes it feel off is that while you're on Carson, you can tell that it's the one commercial street in the area. Unlike in Madrid or Amsterdam, where it would just be one in a large mass of commercial blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:03 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
I think you are right, Carl. It does not look like a American-tour-package-stop version of Europe, but most of "real" Europe is crowded, narrow, and a bit run down. The only thing that makes it feel off is that while you're on Carson, you can tell that it's the one commercial street in the area. Unlike in Madrid or Amsterdam, where it would just be one in a large mass of commercial blocks.
Yup, I agree. I guess I might be the only one that digs the narrow streets and run down vibe of the South Side. Then again most of Pittsburgh has that same run down vibe to it but for different reasons.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I've been to dozens of cities and I've lived in Europe. The Victorian architecture, row homes, concentration of bars/coffee shops, live music and art venues, narrowness of the streets, it reminds me of Europe.

Also, Europeans don't mind a drink or two on the weekends but I'm sure they can handle it a bit better than Yinzers.
Well, at least the architecture, older houses, shops and narrow streets are general characteristics of the city of Pittsburgh as a whole. And it makes sense as I've often heard people refer to the city as European-like compared to most US cities.

Don't forget quirky old-world things like the myriad staircases and the inclines.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:32 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Oh, and I think the South Side is undeniably unique in Pittsburgh. Amazing is a matter of taste.

By the way, I'm not saying things like police presence, the public bathroom situation, and so on couldn't be improved. But the basic idea of the South Side being our local Spring-Break/Mardi-Gras district is something I do think the residents need to accept.
Agreed...and the funny thing is that the South Side isn't even all that crazy. It's pretty tame compared to a lot of other places and it's not hard at all to avoid the main drag since it's isolated to Carson Street for the most part. I'd even go as far as to say that I've consistently seen far worse in Morgantown on Friday nights. I think these people are crazy for complaining and need to accept the fact that time changes both people and places...it could definately get a lot worse than what it currently is as far as behavior and crowd-types go.

The South Side is perfectly fine as is and should be left alone to continue as our drunken land of crappiness...I'm hoping that a more upscale and "mature" destination pops up on the Civic Arena site or maybe towards Lawrenceville and the Strip after that area starts to get renovated and built-up again. I think the South Side is best left for the college kiddies and Big Ben-types...no use in trying to tidy it up or change it from what it naturally is. In a way, it can act as a sort of buffer to keep juvenile activity out of other parts of the city if we do develop a more proper entertainment/nightlife district over the next decade or so.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
The South Side has always had a type of roudines to it. When the J&L mill was running (where South Side Works is now), the men used to hit the bars after their shifts at 7 am, 3 pm and 11 pm. One reason why there were always so many bars down there. There were always fights and loud people. But the wives would come out with their rolling pins or go into the saloons to fetch the hubby eventually. I believe it was especially rowdy on paydays, because everyone was paid in cash back then. Some of the wives used to meet their husbands at the mill gate to get the money and give them some cash to go drinking with.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:54 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
The South Side reminds me a bit of some areas I saw in Glasgow and Dublin.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
The argument goes both ways. Just as residents need to accept that Carson Street is a major nightlife destination, Carson Street patrons also need to accept that they're not in an dedicated commercial district but a mixed-use community that's really just one large commercial strip in an otherwise residential neighborhood. There is a necessary give and take. Certainly residents can't expect peace and quiet along the corridor. Just the same, they shouldn't have to put up with vandalism, litter, trespassing, people urinating in their yards, et cetera. If you can't handle noise and foot traffic and parking & traffic congestion, don't live near Carson street. Just the same, if you can't behave like a civilized human being after a few drinks, then do your drinking in private and away from civilized society.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:41 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,683 times
^^^ this ^^^

Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If you move to Pittsburgh's version of Bourbon Street, you know what you're getting yourself into. The South Side has been party central for decades, what did they honestly expect? What are off duty cops going to do anyway, arrest someone for public intoxication?

It's the South Side and it's one of the most unique and amazing places in Pittsburgh, leave it that way.
Not for decades. Two decades ago The Flats was the party place. But people there were too rowdy, publicly drunk, urinating, packing bars past permitted occupancies. Neighbors complained. So the City of Cleveland shut it down with extreme enforcement. Twenty years later it's ghetto, Cleveland is dead, and Pittsburgh is the city to be in. We could repeat the exact same scenario here. Maybe it could lead to a rejuvenated Cleveland.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
"The Flats look like a Scooby-Doo Ghost Town (http://tinyurl.com/cu69xe - broken link)..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh