Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
The South Side has always had a type of roudines to it. When the J&L mill was running (where South Side Works is now), the men used to hit the bars after their shifts at 7 am, 3 pm and 11 pm. One reason why there were always so many bars down there. There were always fights and loud people. But the wives would come out with their rolling pins or go into the saloons to fetch the hubby eventually. I believe it was especially rowdy on paydays, because everyone was paid in cash back then. Some of the wives used to meet their husbands at the mill gate to get the money and give them some cash to go drinking with.
My mom used to say she didn't have to meet her husband at the mill gate on payday so he wouldn't drink up his paycheck. I used to wonder how one drank a check! Apparently this was common in mill towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I've been to dozens of cities and I've lived in Europe. The Victorian architecture, row homes, concentration of bars/coffee shops, live music and art venues, narrowness of the streets, it reminds me of Europe.

Also, Europeans don't mind a drink or two on the weekends but I'm sure they can handle it a bit better than Yinzers.
Well you may have been to a different Europe than I've been to, because nothing on the South Side of Pittsburgh reminds me of anything I've seen overseas.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Well you may have been to a different Europe than I've been to, because nothing on the South Side of Pittsburgh reminds me of anything I've seen overseas.
Ditto. Where I was in Europe, people lived in huge, mid-rise apt. buildings, not rowhouses.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
The South Side was originally the Village of Birmingham named after and planned by folks familiar with Birmingham England. I've not spent any time in Birmingham, but lived in Manchaster in the UK in the late 80s, which is a similar city. Anyway, the neighborhood I lived in, Levenshulme, has a main business district, Stockport Road, that always reminded me of Carson Street. It lacks the hip nightlife, though there were plenty of neighborhood pubs when I lived there. It's not the sort of place on the itineray of most tourists. I found the website link to below searching for photos of Stockport Road.

regenerated

Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times
What irritates me is that the Craigslist poster basically thinks that people are entitled to act unruly and in a very unsafe manner. I am not a club goer or party goer, but if people want to do that, fine by me. BUT...if I ever come through the South Side and my safety as innocent passer-by is at risk because people are "partying" that's a PROBLEM! We've all heard the phrase, "Drink responsibly." No one does that anymore...no one has any self-control and that's is to be accepted these days...um, NO.

It's great that the South Side has such a vibrant party scene, but when property is destroyed and people are acting recklessly, that's something NO ONE should justify or be willing to accept.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 AM

346 posts, read 537,058 times
Anyone have a copy of the ad or know exactly what it said... Yeah sounds like a moron... I hate morons lol...

I mean I love to have a good time and I'm sure i've acted like a goof my fair share of times, but you gotta draw the line at violence and vandalism.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post

It's great that the South Side has such a vibrant party scene, but when property is destroyed and people are acting recklessly, that's something NO ONE should justify or be willing to accept.
Yep, gotta figure, a guy was thrown thru a plate glass window at the art gallery last weekend. Two guys went thru a plate glass window at the Cambodican Cafe about three weekends ago, and I can remember one going thru the shirt laundry window and another place a few months ago.

You are bound to see the fire trucks and ambulances on Carson many times every Fri & Sat night between 10 and 4AM. Trust me, I know!

And we can't forget all the car break ins and kids jumping on car hoods.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 AM

145 posts, read 283,559 times
I live, drink, and play in the Southside. I haven't noticed much hostility between residents and party folks, though the "folding chair-reserved parking spot" tends to fire people up at times.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:09 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
I have always hated the South Side. I was and always will be a Shadyside guy. However, I have friends that have lived there for years. They were lucky they bought when the houses were dirt cheap. They are no longer in there twenties and have outgrown the bar scene yet they like the location and their mortgage. Part of this is because the city still has their houses assessed at 50,000. If they cash out and move to a tamer area of the city they will be faced with a much bigger mortgage because odds are their house would be more fairly assessed in Sq. Hill. I think there are a lot these people.

In my opinion, the bars and restaurants are why the housing prices have soared.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I have always hated the South Side. I was and always will be a Shadyside guy.
I was impressed with the South Side works area when my wife first showed me around there, but once you get away from that area, it goes downhill fast. Shadyside for the win in my book too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh