U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,644,951 times

Advertisements

What gave you the impression Downtown was horrible? Rents are increasing, vacancy rates are low, people are developing new units, residents express high degrees of satisfaction in surveys . . . for various reasons it may not be right for some people, but if you are interested in that sort of lifestyle (and can afford it), I don't see the problem.

Edit: Oh, I see, the post above about Downtown dying at 5. That isn't as true as it used to be, and I think if you added up the evening options it is now pretty competitive with all but the top few nightlife neighborhoods. It still isn't as vibrant at night as you might expect in a real 24/7 Downtown, but that will come if the number of residents keeps growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 11:55 PM

26 posts, read 23,570 times
A couple things. The action that exists downtown in the evening RIGHT NOW can be found in the Cultural District closer to the Alleghany river (trust me; you'll have them figured out in short order if you don't already) so there is SOME action downtown at night. In the next five years, expect the area around the new Consol Energy Center to pick up as well. Also, as someone who has grown up in the south hills neighborhoods, a neighborhood like Brookline or Banksville or Greentree are safe neighborhoods with quick access to the parkway. The Brookline Boulevard has an impressive number of shops and ethnic grocers. My girlfriend from NY says that it reminds her of some of the older villages that surround NYC.

My two cents.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:55 AM

1,168 posts, read 944,013 times
Long Trail : can you rank the criteria from most important to least important? It's not likely that you'll get everything that you are looking for, but we should be able to get you really close to it.

From the original post, we know that these are the criteria:

Quote:
The job would require heavy travel, so easy access to the airport would be nice. Both the wife and I would enjoy more urban setting, but with me being gone so much I worry about safety. It would be great to find a place with a neighborhood feel, close to downtown, loft-type living, walkable...but also SAFE! Is this possible?! Most of the time the "cool" places are not the safest places. We would also like to avoid student living, at the very least undergrad students. I would like to keep the rent around $1,200/month

So, take this list and rank them from most important to least:

easy access to airport
urban setting
safety
neighborhood feel
close to downtown
loft living
walkable
garage

Then maybe we can narrow it down a little..

Also, any chance of visiting the city to check out some of the neighborhoods?

Old 08-07-2010, 01:05 AM

Also, I think the Heinz Lofts fits. I have never been there, however, so I'm not sure of the neighborhood feel, walkability, or rent prices. But you are really close to downtown, they have indoor parking, it's safe, you could take Rt 65 to get to the airport to avoid the parkway commute to and from the airport, and it's definitely urban and loft-like

I think a visit to see the complex, or any apartment/part of town you are considering, and drive to/from the airport during peak time would be beneficial.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:54 AM

1,720 posts, read 2,444,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTrail23 View Post
Is downtown really that horrible? I always seem to be reading of new developments and places being built. There must be some type of demand for downtown living, right?
It's not that it is horrible...but downtown in Pittsburgh is not the urban center it is in other major cities. It is not a Manhattan or a Philly City Center by any means and you need to realize that.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:04 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,644,951 times
One way to think of Downtown is that it is sort of like a smaller-scale version of the Financial District in Manhattan, 10 or 15 years ago, with a huge daytime surge of officeworkers relative to the number of fulltime residents. But recently the FiDi population has been growing rapidly, including as lots of office buildings are being converted to apartments, and that is being followed by more resident-oriented amenities. Our Downtown is on a similar track, just maybe a bit behind in the process.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 AM

32 posts, read 29,970 times
Most to least important:

1.) Safety
2.) Close to entertainment (this could be combo of urban/neighborhood/walkable)
3.) Close to downtown
4.) Easy access to airport (doesn't mean live next to it)
5.) Garage would be a huge bonus (I have a motorcycle)
6.) Loft living

I agree that is would be naive to think that there is a place anywhere that offers all of this. Also instead of being stuck in a hotel for a little while, I was thinking of staying with some family in Youngstown. How far is that commute? Being that it would only be for a week or so, I should be able to handle it.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2010, 10:05 AM

1,720 posts, read 2,444,981 times
According to said criteria, I would consider some of the quieter parts of the South Side Flats or a nice house in the South Side Slopes.

Youngstown is about an hour away.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:45 AM

3,170 posts, read 6,685,665 times
^Many people from the Poland area commute to Pittsburgh and it's suburbs, probably around an hour give or take.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTrail23 View Post
Most to least important:

1.) Safety
2.) Close to entertainment (this could be combo of urban/neighborhood/walkable)
3.) Close to downtown
4.) Easy access to airport (doesn't mean live next to it)
5.) Garage would be a huge bonus (I have a motorcycle)
6.) Loft living

I agree that is would be naive to think that there is a place anywhere that offers all of this. Also instead of being stuck in a hotel for a little while, I was thinking of staying with some family in Youngstown. How far is that commute? Being that it would only be for a week or so, I should be able to handle it.

Thanks
Good idea.. then you can take some time to find a place instead of rushing and making the wrong decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh