U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 AM

120 posts, read 132,709 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm really excited about moving to Pittsburgh (and all the joys of driving a UHaul a few thousand miles.) Once in Shadyside, we'll be looking for a double internet/TV connection with either Comcast or Verizon. Are there any noticeable differences in internet speed b/w the two? Customer service? Are there differences based upon where you live in Pittsburgh?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 AM

1,020 posts, read 850,488 times
From my personal experience, go with Verizon, and by all means, avoid Comcast. I switched last August to Verizon FIOS, and have been very pleased, the opposite of my experience with Comcast.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 AM

3,190 posts, read 2,365,842 times
There's a distinct difference between Comacast's cable and Verizon's DSL, but I assume you are referring to Verizon FiOs which I feel is better and faster than the cable.
Comcast also makes you rent their modem ($5.00/Mo) unless you buy your own somewhere and their HD is an extra.
I personally prefer Verizon's FiOs over Comcast. I would say Verizon's customer service is better too. You often are on hold for quite a while with Comcast.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 AM

1,313 posts, read 2,072,415 times
I just switched from Comcast to Verizon FiOS last week and I couldn't be happier. FiOS blows away Comcast in every way. I got the Extreme HD package and the 25/25mbps internet, and the price is $30 less a month than what I got with Comcast and their mid-range digital tv tier and standard 6mbps internet. Verizon's DVR interface is so much better than Comcast's and much less buggy. The Comcast DVR would often lag after button pushes and it sometimes wouldn't record shows that I had programmed. So far, I've had no issues with the FiOS DVR.

What I hated most about Comcast was that you are forced to order their triple play. There are no savings if you want only tv and internet, and having 2 services only may actually cost MORE. So I had to order to their phone service which I'd never use, just to save money. So stupid. With FiOS I save a few bucks by only subscribing to their tv/internet service and get more channels and much faster internet. It's a no-brainer, go with FiOS!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:16 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,867,263 times
Fiber-to-the-premises just has much more bandwidth than cable. Comcast is already having to degrade signal quality in order to keep up on the number of HD channels, real world Internet speeds are typically much slower, you can do so much more on demand . . . much better technology at a roughly equivalent price is a much better deal.

In fact the deal may be too good: Verizon has announced it isn't expanding FiOS into new market at this time, just trying to add homes in existing FiOS markets. On the other hand, part of the problem may be that Verizon hasn't done a great job exploiting the technology yet. In any event, for now I still think it is the way to go, and it may well keep getting better.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:20 AM

970 posts, read 735,341 times
I of course am the exact opposite. Ha ha, I have nothing but horror stories with Verizon as a whole. My significant other had Verizon FiOS and just switched BACK to Comcast. Verizon is extremely sneaky with their pricing and if you're not really careful, you may have signed a multiple year contract with an promotional price that only last for a year or so of that contract!

It all does depend on the area you are in, however. Some areas, the majority of folks experience a lot of actual problems with Comcast and in other areas, it's flawless. Maybe I just happen to live in one of the "good" areas. I personally don't have a good thing to say about Verizon from their actual service to their customer service.

As bizarre as it sounds, you'll pretty much form your own experience with either company. Figure out what services are a must for you and see what company can offer them at a lower rate.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:46 PM

782 posts, read 510,374 times
Stay away from Comcrap with a 20 foot pole.
I wish I had Fios available in my area but for now, I have Verizon landline and DSL and Directv. I am itching for Fios to expand but if Brian is correct, I may be waiting a little while.

My dad has Comcrap and his HD choices are limited compared to what I pay and get with Directv and he is constantly having problems with his cable modem. My DSL seems faster than it as well.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 PM

9,887 posts, read 10,169,962 times
The people I know who have actually had FiOS for a couple years are switching or have switched back to Comcast, citing cost and other problems. Personally I don't have a choice but I've had solid internet service from Comcast. I don't watch much TV so don't get anything other than $12 basic from them (cheaper than having internet only). I think I can now get Verizon DSL at my house (couldn't when I moved in), but I'm not inclined to switch. The cable internet has been quite reliable there.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,867,263 times
As I understood Verizon's announcement, they may still be expanding in Pittsburgh.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM

357 posts, read 540,041 times
I think you'll be fine either way, as long as you don't have to call your service provider for help or service. As soon as you have to call for service you are going to be annoyed no matter which company you use. These guys just want your monthly payments, customer service isn't their strong point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh