U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 PM

487 posts, read 577,242 times
Like some of the others, I've had a carpet cleaning clause in the lease that specified that the carpets be professionally cleaned, with proof from a receipt, at move-out. As it happened, we kept the carpets so clean that the landlord waived it and we didn't have to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:49 PM

3,985 posts, read 3,052,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I've had carpet cleaning fees before. Never at move in. As long as they don't charge one at move out, it's the same thing. Otherwise, they're likely double charging. Check your lease.
True...but if it isn't in the lease, it is the landlord's responsibility and they are getting scammed.

Check his/her rating and reviews on landorslum.com. Take it with a grain of salt, people who have good experiences with their landlord are less likely to go online and post about it.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 PM

712 posts, read 1,042,494 times
Speaking from prior experience, and I have rented off 5 different landlords in my life. The Magistrate in Pennsylvania will tell the landlord that normal wear and tear is not something that you can charge for.

If the landlord does not have in the lease that you have to pay to clean the carpets and if he does not do normal maintenance - then you do not have to pay to have it cleaned before you leave.

My last landlord was a real bung hole and she made me replant the grass in the backyard and then sold the house. The next owner bought it for the property and had plans on building a hi rise apartment building and burned down the house - because at that time, if you burned it down and didn't take anything off it or out of it - you could write it off as a total loss on your taxes.

They then bulldozed the entire property into the hole and replanted grass.

So what the point was - of making sure the house was clean and the walls were repainted and the grass was in nice shape - your guess is as good as mine.

The tenants side of the story -
Some landlords likes to pad their bank account with extra money and once the tenants moves out, they have 100 excuses why they should not return the money. The best bet is to tear up the lease and find a different place to live.

The landlords side of the story -
Teenagers by rule of thumb are not the most responsible people in the world and the girls are worse then the guys - because the mothers are at work all day and don't make the kids do anything and the kids grow up to be stupid and they abuse stuff and so the landlords gets tired of cleaning up after the stupid college kids, and that is probably the reason why they are asking for more money to rent them the apartment.

If the parents rented the apartment in their name and signed a contract that said that the apartment had to be clean before they moved out - or the parents were responsible for the damage - you wouldn't have these problems with the landlord. But college kids? = You can't get money out of college kids that don't have a job, or does have a job and spends all their money on clothes and booze and going out to eat and automobiles.

Do you get my point?

I am just showing both sides of the coin here!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:13 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,490,163 times
Doesn't the landlord have the money to simply replace the old carpets once the previous tenant moves out? What's the point of paying rent if they aren't going to have the apartments in reasonable condition? Maybe this is just a student housing thing, but every place we've leased, we've gotten brand new carpets so it's kind of odd that they would require the tenant to get the carpets cleaned, professionally or not.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 AM

12,966 posts, read 10,255,110 times
I've never ever heard of a landlord replacing carpet between tenants on a regular basis. Every apartment I lived in had the "professionally clean carpet on move-out" clause in the lease.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 PM

9 posts, read 11,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeg View Post
My son is moving into apt this year -Pitt student and the landlord M&D realty and suddenly informed them that they are responsible for a $150 carpet cleaning fee when they move in. This is not in the lease and nothing is in writing. Supposedly one of the students was told this would be refundable when they moved out. I've never heard of paying for the previous tenants dirty carpet and do the landlords have a right to spring this on the kids at the last minute? Has anyone experienced this?

Tell them not to pay it. Tell the landlord he is responsible for the cleaning. They should notify the landlord in writing.

If the carpet is dirty it is between the landlord and the PREVIOUS tenant.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 AM

87 posts, read 76,686 times
Gee, I must have gotten a dream rental for this summer...

I didnt even have to sign a lease, but I did make the landlord sign a receipt I made that documented the fact that I paid to live there.

Wonderful place, roommates are quiet, dont play loud music, no alcohol, no parties, nice area(2 blocks from grocery store), everything was nice and clean, and roommates allow me to use their stuff(they offered- like dish soap, cooking items, cleaner to do laundry, which is free).

I didn't have to prove my employment(I work from home- $15/hr). None of those slumlords would even rent to me because Im 18...

Landlord wasn't anal about the rent(She said just pay her whenever she comes by...) , actually said I overpaid on utilities and gave me a nice discount. Very honest.

Didn't need a security deposit.

Craigslist, all the way...

Last edited by metalforever; 08-05-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,701 times
Are you kidding? It isn't about whether he is grown or not, it is a matter of not being robbed and unfairly treated by a landlord, WHO IS GROWN. A kid should handle is affairs? My, my, my, sounds like an opportunist to me! The kid should have a parent to intervene. As far as this cleaning fee, what about natural wear and tear? Painting is the landlords responsibility. Severe damage is all that you are required to charge. Merely painting and cleaning is on you.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,701 times
Quick Bob, there is a 3rd point that you missed and it is those majorities who are not college students and who are responsible and who does leave the apartment in excellent condition. Oh, and yes, their parents are not paying their way. They have a job!! Therefore, it should be based on inspection and actually damages to the apartment, to decide if the apartment is in such a deplorable state. To do otherwise is painting everyone with the same tarnished brush. Do you see why it is unwarranted and unjust to put such a RIDICULOUS requirement in the lease? I call any landlord who would require ALL TENANTS to have the carpets professionally cleaned w/o inspection is a COWARD!! They would rather get the unsavory tenants by getting everyone.
The landlord should not be able to do this. Get in there with the tenants and make your complaint known and justify your decision. That is being grown up and real.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 AM

1,437 posts, read 1,415,797 times
Did you register just to post in a dead thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh