U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 PM

275 posts, read 361,393 times
Default Cell Phones In Pittsburgh

I got a cell phone, which I am sure many do today, a Verizon Blackberry. I love the phone but it just seems my coverage varies. One minute I got full reception then nothing. I know the topography of Pittsburgh varies greatly, hills, valleys, and tunnels but is this the same for others?

I tried that number two something star to upgrade or reconfigure my phone, and that has not helped. Is AT&T better in Pittsburgh?

What's weird is that I drove thru the Squirrel Hill tunnel last night and got great reception, but I am sure Verizon has some special setup to prevent disconnection there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 06:42 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,672,754 times
There are really only two areas I hear of Verizon dropping calls. One is Mt Washington and the other is areas like Finleyville and some of the other small towns on the border of Allegheny and Washington counties. I've lived in the city my entire time in Pittsburgh and never have any less than four bars. The only time that changes is if I go to our basement, or in some other buildings which will happen.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 AM

712 posts, read 983,635 times
Two points to ponder.

First is that you phone has a built in antenna that is probably less than 3 inches long. At some point, you expect a phone, operation on 869 to 913 Mhz to see a tower as much as 10 miles away with a little dinky built in antenna.

Progress is not always good.

The second point to ponder is that there is a lawsuit in the works that explains how Verizon was in the process of being sued. The point was that they had a program which prohibited their phones from connecting to a competitors tower, when you are in an area which has no real Verizon service - a drop out zone.

At the same time, not all zones has 3G or 4G coverage, so when you leave their territory and the other towers do not have the service, your phone drops out and you have no service - even when you can see the lights blinking on a cell tower 1/4 of a mile away.

Here is a general article that explains how the antenna works inside of a tunnel -
Radio Coverage inside Tunnel Utilizing Leaky Coaxial Cable Base Station

Old 08-01-2010, 02:26 PM

894 posts, read 632,955 times
Ah hah, someone else who is having the exact issues I had with Verizon. I would have full service once minute and very little to none the next without moving. Check out this thread...

Cell Phone Service in Pittsburgh

I switched from Verizon to Sprint in June and couldn't be happier. I've had service in four known Verizon dead zones, it's cheaper, I get more for my money, and the customer service has been great thus far.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:22 PM

105 posts, read 226,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post

What's weird is that I drove thru the Squirrel Hill tunnel last night and got great reception, but I am sure Verizon has some special setup to prevent disconnection there.
Please tell me someone else was driving and you were the passenger. Because if I start thinking that someone was driving through a tunnel and using a Blackberry, I am definitely going to have to drive really slowly through the tunnels. I'm sure everyone on this forum will understand and support me in my desire to drive slowly in the tunnels.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 AM

146 posts, read 157,894 times
Regarding Verizon, you may benefit by updating your PRLs. I know this was a popular method of increasing call quality and signal a few years back and assume the same may hold true now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh