Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:59 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
That one is going to be small also, they said around the site of an aldi store.
Interesting. Grocery stores are the new hotels, I guess. How many can we support?

Maybe Meijer is looking at Newbury? Earth Fare was scouting the area years ago, too.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...ery-store.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 06:17 PM

Newer site plan:

http://pa-southfayette.civicplus.com...07?fileID=8635

Looks like the grocery store is on the far left, then UPMC, big box stores with a smaller town center or strip plazas behind the parking lot?, and I'm assuming that's TopGolf on the far right? With some possible restaurants or retail at the edge of the parking lot of TopGolf?

Old 03-28-2017, 06:57 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Thanks for this updated plan. I was really curious to see how it would change. That's definitely TopGolf at the far right. I guess that is UPMC at the center-left. It looks like they are trying to retain some of the "town center" concept but UPMC cut that in half.

That could be the grocery store at the left. It's interesting where the main entrance is. Right now, there are two rounded tunnels with low-clearance under the railroad bridge there. I'm sure that bridge would have to be overhauled. People at my job today were saying they heard rumors of a Kroger coming here. I'm not sure where they would have gotten this info though.

I also noticed they broke ground yesterday on the small complex at the corner of 50 and Hickory Grade. South Fayette Commons I think it will be called. A Dunkin Donuts and a bank is all they have announced as tenants so far.

The old Knights Inn is also totally gone now. They will build a new hotel at the site. And the old theater is pretty much gone as well. Not sure if anything is planned for that location yet.

I hope they have a plan to alleviate the horrendous traffic here! I can't imagine how much worse it will be once this is all built out.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:06 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,028 times
Is the Pittsburgh metro area becoming oversaturated with retail centers? That, along with the general uncertainty and frequent bankruptcies in the brick and mortar retail trade, may be what is causing this project to move so slowly.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Thanks for this updated plan. I was really curious to see how it would change. That's definitely TopGolf at the far right. I guess that is UPMC at the center-left. It looks like they are trying to retain some of the "town center" concept but UPMC cut that in half.

That could be the grocery store at the left. It's interesting where the main entrance is. Right now, there are two rounded tunnels with low-clearance under the railroad bridge there. I'm sure that bridge would have to be overhauled. People at my job today were saying they heard rumors of a Kroger coming here. I'm not sure where they would have gotten this info though.

I also noticed they broke ground yesterday on the small complex at the corner of 50 and Hickory Grade. South Fayette Commons I think it will be called. A Dunkin Donuts and a bank is all they have announced as tenants so far.

The old Knights Inn is also totally gone now. They will build a new hotel at the site. And the old theater is pretty much gone as well. Not sure if anything is planned for that location yet.

I hope they have a plan to alleviate the horrendous traffic here! I can't imagine how much worse it will be once this is all built out.
I still wonder how much longer it will take for them to break ground on TopGolf and UPMC. Like you said, a lot of traffic and site work looks like it still needs to be completed. This project has gone on for years. Kroger would be nice, but they'd need to put in their gas station for fuel perks to have any competition with Giant Eagle. It could be a Lidl, too. I keep forgetting they have been scouting the area for stores. I thought I heard Uniontown and Wilkins Township, for starters. I forgot they were developing the old theater site and Knights Inn is going to be a Fairfield Inn from Marriott. Once everything is done, it's either going to be really nice off of that exit or a traffic nightmare.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Is the Pittsburgh metro area becoming oversaturated with retail centers? That, along with the general uncertainty and frequent bankruptcies in the brick and mortar retail trade, may be what is causing this project to move so slowly.
Compared to other cities, no. Pittsburgh is still underserved when it comes to major retail. We do have a large uptick in vacancies though lately if you look at places like Century III, Pittsburgh Mills, and even The Waterfront, Station Square, and South Side Works. It seems like more places are closing than opening anymore and shopping habits have changed. Plus - location, location, location. I think Newbury is in a good spot being directly visible and accessible from I-79. The developers agreed with you, though, which is why they chose UPMC as an anchor. Retail is too uncertain at this time to have a project full of just that.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:54 AM

I'll be interested to see how the Commissioner's vote next week after the hearing last night. Sounds like mixed feelings from the residents of Newbury; mostly bringing up the same thoughts that were discussed on here. Being that Newbury is on its 14th site plan revision, and the amount of retailers who have been closing most or all of their stores (hhgregg announced their demise this week), I think UPMC will be approved. I really hope TopGolf is a go.

South Fayette hears comments on proposed UPMC hospital | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 09-22-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
I'll be interested to see how the Commissioner's vote next week after the hearing last night. Sounds like mixed feelings from the residents of Newbury; mostly bringing up the same thoughts that were discussed on here. Being that Newbury is on its 14th site plan revision, and the amount of retailers who have been closing most or all of their stores (hhgregg announced their demise this week), I think UPMC will be approved. I really hope TopGolf is a go.

South Fayette hears comments on proposed UPMC hospital | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
So, after all of that waiting, South Fayette commissioners finally (August) approved UPMC to build a hospital at Newbury.

Last night, UPMC announced that it was abandoning its plans to build at Newbury in South Fayette, and would continue to search for a site in the South Hills:

UPMC scraps plans for South Fayette hospital | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UPMC says no hospital for South Fayette, will explore South Hills | TribLIVE

Old 09-22-2017, 07:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
So, after all of that waiting, South Fayette commissioners finally (August) approved UPMC to build a hospital at Newbury.

Last night, UPMC announced that it was abandoning its plans to build at Newbury in South Fayette, and would continue to search for a site in the South Hills:

UPMC scraps plans for South Fayette hospital | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UPMC says no hospital for South Fayette, will explore South Hills | TribLIVE

I am sure people here will be happy. Now what are they going to do with the property that is vacant?

Old 09-22-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I am sure people here will be happy. Now what are they going to do with the property that is vacant?
I think they should just look for another entertainment anchor comparable to Topgolf. Maybe something like Flix Brewhouse or iFLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh