Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 05:12 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I think the news of this is a shame for the residents of this neighborhood. A hospital on that property certainly is NOT what was "sold" in the original plan or any of the subsequent plans. This community started in 2008. Homeowners continue to wait for the annually promised clubhouse and swimming pool, let alone the "walk to, world class" Newbury Market", which remains dirt with only preliminary road work completed. Promised were restaurants, theaters, shopping: " a new comfortable, contemporary place to live, work and play and destined to become the heart of the South Hills."

In the actual neighborhood, the park like setting does not exist. There is a large brightly colored play structure sitting at the intersection of 2 streets and directly adjacent to and across from homes. No fence no natural or man made barrier, just a large play structure hanging out. Just overpriced (IMHO) homes(with a change recently in the builders) offering no privacy in this touted mixed use community. The front porches are nice and the small lot concept would be desirable if the roads were adequately or artistically laid out etc. This appears to be just another common neighborhood plopped on a high hill with myriad unfulfilled pledges.

I drive past this area almost on a weekly basis and it is a shame. The current developers continue to tout a long list of attractions, "COMING SOON to Newbury Highlands". I fear the inhabitants have been had.
I agree ; I think the homes are very very overpriced and I wonder how many owners are upset. We are here almost 5 years and when we moved, we were told it would be a shopping center in 2 years. I love the little strip mall, but its not enough for the growing population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 07:12 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
I dont think they would build in south fayette, they could go to collier or cecil and save alot in land costs, but then again look what they did in Monroeville

Old 02-23-2017, 05:07 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I dont think they would build in south fayette, they could go to collier or cecil and save alot in land costs, but then again look what they did in Monroeville
Does UPMC pay property taxes as a "non-profit?"

Old 02-23-2017, 05:30 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Does UPMC pay property taxes as a "non-profit?"
No but they have to buy the land. They over paid for the land in Monroeville

Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
Quote:
I would assume they would have to pay big bucks to whoever owns the Newbury land; as the land owner would have probably been making good money by "leasing" the land over the years to a retailer or restaurant franchise.

Not to mention, South Fayette (both Township and School District) will be missing out on all that property tax money over the years.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. UPMC already has their "Children's South" across from the development.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:46 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Part of that overpayment was to a physician they were trying to woo, no?

I would love to see a study on the percentage occupancy in local hospitals. We have had so many close over the years and people are actually in favor of new facilities? Talk about inefficient. Folks wonder why our nation's healthcare costs so much. Do people not realize the amount of capital investment required to construct a new hospital? Impatient care makes up about 35% of all medical costs. A lot of that 35% is just to pay the mortgage and keep the lights on on the hospital building itself.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:06 PM

153 posts, read 114,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I agree ; I think the homes are very very overpriced and I wonder how many owners are upset. We are here almost 5 years and when we moved, we were told it would be a shopping center in 2 years. I love the little strip mall, but its not enough for the growing population.
OkayDorothy, I agree and I'll never understand the lure of a $300k+ townhome or $400k+ stand alone home in places like South Fayette, Peters, Cecil, etc...but it is what it is. I guess it has to do with the school districts, location, and a segment of the market that simply demands new construction whatever the price.

These newly built areas are like Northern Virginia (NOVA as it's called). It's all new overpriced housing, which mixes architectural styles within the same house and generally leaves me baffled and quite frankly, disgusted by these builders and their ignorance (see my earlier comment on one of the current for sale homes).

Old 02-23-2017, 03:13 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post
OkayDorothy, I agree and I'll never understand the lure of a $300k+ townhome or $400k+ stand alone home in places like South Fayette, Peters, Cecil, etc...but it is what it is. I guess it has to do with the school districts, location, and a segment of the market that simply demands new construction whatever the price.

These newly built areas are like Northern Virginia (NOVA as it's called). It's all new overpriced housing, which mixes architectural styles within the same house and generally leaves me baffled and quite frankly, disgusted by these builders and their ignorance (see my earlier comment on one of the current for sale homes).
"overpriced" housing is a phrase that always confuses me.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:22 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post

Actually, it has as much to do with not wanting to live directly in the city. It's a pleasure to visit but many don't want to live in it.

Builders build what sells. Can't blame them for giving their customers what they want.

Overpriced housing is ones opinion. Many couldn't be paid to live in the city and many couldn't be paid to live in the burbs.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:24 PM

153 posts, read 114,881 times
Paul, it's an opinion, which is more a comment on the buyers involved. Usually, those using the phrase understand the simple economics involved. Perhaps a better way to say it is "houses that should be seen as overpriced". Does that help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh