U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:51 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,240,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
Why don't they just open up in the downtowns and business districts of local communities?
I'm not sure that South Fayette has a downtown/business district. Most of the townships with development (Robinson, Cranberry, etc.) offered undeveloped land large enough to support big box and large scale retail and dining, access to highways (376 or 79), and a population large enough, wealthy enough, and educated enough to support the stores and restaurants. There's a strategy to the sprawl, they don't just build anywhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 06:24 AM

2,766 posts, read 2,326,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
I'm not sure that South Fayette has a downtown/business district. Most of the townships with development (Robinson, Cranberry, etc.) offered undeveloped land large enough to support big box and large scale retail and dining, access to highways (376 or 79), and a population large enough, wealthy enough, and educated enough to support the stores and restaurants. There's a strategy to the sprawl, they don't just build anywhere.
South fayette was a farming community, there was never a main street of business area.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:29 AM

5,033 posts, read 4,639,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
South fayette was a farming community, there was never a main street of business area.
South Fayette is a township, and consists of a few smaller tiny what I would call villages. It was a farming community up to about 15 years ago. Since I moved here 5 years ago, the wealth has increased big time. There are huge homes being built not just at Newberry, but on Old Oakdale Road. Along with a great school district, you get a more influx of people. I hope that the new comers will be welcomed by the community as a benefit. Change is not always good, but it can be great if accepted.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:34 AM

968 posts, read 558,564 times
Quote:
I think they were just commenting on how sad it is that we give up on older towns and try to recreate these new "towns" that just don't work.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:47 PM

126 posts, read 78,481 times
[quote=erieguy;47299165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post

Sorry, I wasn't aware the location was in regards to new and modern construction. Not everyone wants old/historical. I could see many having a desire to have a newer and modern home in the city if the option was available without having to do a total renovation. I suspect that's why the new/modern luxury rental units are being built.
I agree. There are a lot of people who only want new construction without the immediate headaches of an older home. There aren't many options for new construction in the city from what I see. As far as flips in the city, we looked at one modernized flip last fall but couldn't pull the trigger because evaluating the construction seemed difficult.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:43 AM

10 posts, read 7,599 times
Quote:

Topgolf considering space at Newbury: http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...y-go-next.html
That article states that Newbury "quickly" landed 84 Lumber as its first tenant. 84 Lumber was already situated along Route 50 for years, and had to relocate a couple hundred feet to accommodate the new entrances from Route 50 to the Newbury development. This article was written in a way to suggest that it was some victory by the developers to land 84 Lumber when that simply wasn't the case. They already had a great visible location alongside a busy roadway and a stone's throw from the 79 interchange, now they are tucked away on Presto-Sygan Road which only the locals know is there.

In addition that article refers to Children's South as being located "elsewhere" in the township. Um, try across the street! Someone with a good arm could throw a rock from the parking lot of the first phase of the Newbury Shops and break a window on the new Children's facility.

Not sure why everything is moving so slow with Newbury, but plenty of prep work has been done including installing a new railroad bridge on an active rail line to provide access to the retail portions of the development.additional work was done on state route 50, with more work in the pipeline to manage the traffic. It's gonna happen, the question is when.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:48 AM

31,291 posts, read 69,853,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I think they were just commenting on how sad it is that we give up on older towns and try to recreate these new "towns" that just don't work.
Co-signed. Is Downtown Bridgeville at 100% occupancy and 100% revitalized yet? If not, then why the big rush to create a new "faux downtown/lifestyle center" a stone's throw away? Same with Downtown Canonsburg, which looks distressed, vs. nearby Southpointe.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:25 AM

2,766 posts, read 2,326,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Co-signed. Is Downtown Bridgeville at 100% occupancy and 100% revitalized yet? If not, then why the big rush to create a new "faux downtown/lifestyle center" a stone's throw away? Same with Downtown Canonsburg, which looks distressed, vs. nearby Southpointe.
Bridgeville has never experienced a slump in its downtown. Since i was a child i can't remember there being more than one or two store fronts unoccupied except for after the fire downtown. The stores fronts have always been well kept so i don't believe there was ever any revitalizing effort. As far as canonsburgh goes i think it is too far from south fayette to make any difference in the planning of a new city center.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:15 PM

10 posts, read 7,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
As far as canonsburgh goes i think it is too far from south fayette to make any difference in the planning of a new city center.
SCR was referring to Canonsburg in relation to Southpointe. But Southpointe is Cecil Township, for one, so they have little incentive to export all of that potential to the town of Canonsburg.

Cecil Township itself doesn't have a walkable business district, although there are several businesses and a community park along route 50 that serve the community, and residents drive to Bridgeville, McMurray, Robinson, or Washington for their needs that can't be met locally.

We should applaud Southpointe's efforts to add some sort of urbanization to their sea of parking lots.

Edit:the same applies to Newbury, it's not in Bridgeville. I support the revitalization of these downtowns (although as stated above, Bridgeville has always been doing just fine for itself) but Giant Eagle and Top Golf aren't going to locate downtown anyways.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:17 PM

2,105 posts, read 1,743,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElModChupaPollas View Post
SCR was referring to Canonsburg in relation to Southpointe. But Southpointe is Cecil Township, for one, so they have little incentive to export all of that potential to the town of Canonsburg.

Cecil Township itself doesn't have a walkable business district, although there are several businesses and a community park along route 50 that serve the community, and residents drive to Bridgeville, McMurray, Robinson, or Washington for their needs that can't be met locally.

We should applaud Southpointe's efforts to add some sort of urbanization to their sea of parking lots.

Edit:the same applies to Newbury, it's not in Bridgeville. I support the revitalization of these downtowns (although as stated above, Bridgeville has always been doing just fine for itself) but Giant Eagle and Top Golf aren't going to locate downtown anyways.
Isn't this the exact argument against the segmentation of our moderately-sized and populated county into tiny little fiefdoms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh