Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:46 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
also, does honest bob have me on ignore or something?
I'd count that as a blessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Honest Bob = Little Bevis? Or just a really big coincidence? Hmm....

Old 08-06-2010, 06:25 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Honest Bob= Internet Superman.

My guess.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,088 times
I was thinking both.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
If you read the whole rant - you would understand that it is not a permanent job - it is a 11 week assignment. In the last two years of searching at least 4 hours per a day for employment - it was the only employer that called me and the only employer that offered me employment.

My feelings on the subject is that my family - from the time of the first automobiles has owned nothing but Chevrolets. Our dedication to General Motors goes the whole way back to my great grandparents who owned a 1923 Buick touring.

My brother who was lucky enough after 16 years of driving to Pittsburgh for 3 years to Combustion Services and 13 years to USTD in the Keystone Commons - Turtle Creek, landed a job working for Siemens - Combustion Services.

In those 16 years, he wore out 8 brand new cars and two S-10 Blazers, 3 pick up trucks and one Avalanche.

My family members were once employed by Interstate Amesite and when they paved a road, it was so smooth that you could put a dime on edge and drive 55 miles an hour down the road and it wouldn't fall off the dash.

When HRI and Glen O Hawbaker and New Enterprise took over the paving business in Pennsylvania - it went all down hill from there.

The problem is - that these so called rich people goes out and buys these little cars that gets 40 and 50 miles to the gallon and they use the roads and then they DON'T pay the road tax because the road tax is charged per the gallon of gasoline - not by the mile!

When I cut grass - I still pay the same amount per a gallon of gasoline as you pay to run your little Toyota or Honda or Hyundai. Yet I don't use the road for cutting grass.

My beef is that when you live in a city, and don't make a lot of money, you are not paying to pave the roads - you are just making the bare minimum - enough to survive.

Before WW II - 75% of the people living in the United States - still worked on the farms and in agriculture. It wasn't until after WW II that the people who worked in the steel mills kept their jobs - which wasn't needed anymore because once war time production fell off, the only thing that kept those people working was the transportation system - hence American Bridge had lot's of work, The Alaska Pipeline - hence ARMCO had lot's of work. The need for new bridges and the interstate highway system - hence places like US Steel and all the little steel mills like Bethlehem Steel which made railroad rails were the places that kept Pittsburgh going.

When those little foreign cars came along, all those people lost their jobs because steel production was not needed to make new automobiles when they were not being made in the USA anymore.

I don't care how many auto's are assembled in the USA, unless all the steel to manufacture the autos is made here - it still isn't made in the USA.

So what our problem is with the economy is that the women refused to go home - be barefoot and pregnant and when a man told them that they needed to get out of the workplace - they refused and now there is not enough jobs to go around.

Just like the foreign people - who came here and was willing - for a while, to do any job presented to them, so too the women was willing to work for less money - just to have a job. Once they decided that they were being cheated and they wanted equal pay for equal work - then the cost of living went up. Add to that that they do make the babies and you do have to give them maternity leave when it happens and you can't take their jobs away from them. The women now makes more money then the men do.
So the women runs everything - because when you hold the purse strings - you make the rules.

As my uncle said to me this morning on this subject - The Republicans want's the rich and the working people to keep their money,
and the Democrats want those folks that work to give it to the lazy people
that don't. I am not saying that there are poor people that needs money,
Just saying that there are a lot of people on entitlement programs shouldn't be.

If I have to drive 81 miles each way to work, then I should have to pay X amount of dollars to use the roads - right? Well I am already paying twice or three times as much when I drive a Chevrolet Avalanche that gets 14 miles per a gallon vs someone that drives a Honda that gets 50 - right?
Then why are you so sore at me for paying 4 times as much tax as you do?
You should be thanking me for driving a gas guzzler and willing to work.

My theory is - that the high paying jobs in the city is not the ones where they employee's are the ones using the Public Transit system - buses.
The people using the buses is the ones that cannot or refuse to use their own vehicles to get from point A to point B.

If things was going so good in the city, why has the population of Punxsutawney almost doubled in the last two years with all the senior citizens who are moving back to the area to take advantage of the cheaper taxes and cost of living? Why is the people that are my age moving back - because they can no longer afford to live in the city or they lost their job and there was nothing holding them there anymore.
Or the poor and colored people who has moved to Punxsy because their public assistance checks do not cut it in the city and they can live in the Beyer Avenue or Sycamore Ave apartments for $50 a month and can use the rest of their check to shop at Walmart and live like a king?

I never seen so many colored people in Punxsutawney in all my life!

The economy is bad everywhere - not just here and not just rural Pennsylvania. It is actually worse in places like Philadelphia or Pittsburgh or Phoenix Az - or anyplace where a person cannot grow their own food or live off the land. Those Boom towns are great - when the money is flowing like water in Mahoning Creek, but when the jobs and the money dries up - that is when you see everybody robbing and stealing and and murdering each other.

The best thing that the governor could do is fire about 1/3 of the people who " " works at Penndot.
I lost track of what you're trying to say after about the 83rd paragraph.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever had a clue what you were trying to say.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:51 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I lost track of what you're trying to say after about the 83rd paragraph.

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever had a clue what you were trying to say.

Driving an SUV basically subsidizes the highways for everybody except the coloreds, who live in cities and ride the bus after cashing their welfare checks.

You're welcome.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
The fat gov. slipped and fell on the red carpet at the new hockey ring place. People who are taxed to death couldn't lift him to his feet.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 AM

875 posts, read 1,489,820 times
We might as well cue that other internet troll who, months back, kept going on and on about how "dirty and crappy" it is to live in the Pittsburgh area and when everyone unanimously told her(?) "why don't you live somewhere else?" she would say "she couldn't"...

There's no logical reasoning to be had with Honest Bob I think...

Old 08-07-2010, 01:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Arguing with a troll is like trying to walk a fish.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:13 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Is this even a true story? How do you know some panhandler sent her kid to school? The whole story smacks of the kind of thing my brother-in-law would forward around to show how awful Democrats are.

Do you watch WTAE News?

I think that Sally Wiggins did the story.

Here is a similar story.
Mom panhandles to pay for son's tuition - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com
Wash. mom begs for son's tuition money | KBOI CBS 2 - News, Weather and Sports Boise, Idaho | News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh