U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,377,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
To get an education on this subject, go look at some of my other posts.

When you call your neighborhood a Ghetto - it is pretty much over after that.

There is two sides to this story.

Please let me explain.

What has happened in your neighborhood has also happened in my neighborhood. Now I am a lot like Will Rodgers - basically I never met a person that I didn't like. It's after you meet them and you see the wrong things that they are doing - and they refuse to change. That is when you have to decide - am I going to get involved and when is a good time to call the police?

In New York city, there was a time where the colored people had to live in the ghetto.
Then some of the colored people got out of the ghetto after WW II. Playing sports, education or just saving their money and pooling it all together until they got enough money to get out.

Basically at some point, the ones that found a way to get out did and the ones that didn't find a way was stuck and the next generation or poor immigrants came along and displaced them. Be it Hispanic's, Orientals, Asians etc..

The problem was that when the smart ones got out and left, there was no good people left to be role models for the ones that remained. So the bad got worse and things got ugly. You do not want to go through Shaker Heights OH, Warren OH, Detroit Mich, certain parts of Pittsburgh, Youngstown OH or any of the other mill towns in the middle of the night.

Now you said a key ingredient - Church.

Now let me use a coal town as a example.

When you recruit one type of person to come work in your coal mine and they all come from the same area of a county, and they share the same religion and the people worship weekly and there is almost mandatory collections taken directly out of your paycheck - weekly offerings for the local church. Then that coal town did not need the coal and iron police.

When the mine superintendent had a problem with you he didn't have to call the police, he called the priest. The priest and maybe a couple of nuns came to your house and they had a talk with you and your wife and they told you that what you / your wife / or your kids were doing was wrong and that if you didn't straighten up that you were going straight to hell and that if you kept getting into trouble that you would be thrown out of the church and would be fired and wouldn't have a job or a place to live.

The fear of the lord was put on you and you either straightened up or you moved.

The coal and iron police, would either beat you up or throw you in their jail or fine you - directly out of your pay or throw you out of the town, black list your name and then you couldn't get a job. Especially if you owed money to the company store. At the same time, if you owed money at the company store and did a midnight move - they hired the Pinkerton's to hunt you down and get their money back. Once your name was black listed - you couldn't go to another mine and work, you couldn't go to Detroit and work - you couldn't get a job as a dog catcher.

So the key to cleaning up your town is pretty simple.

You need to bring back the steel mills and run them at full capacity and hire all the local people and pay them good wages and benefits and hopefully if you could get them to work 7 days a week, they wouldn't have time to get into trouble.

The churches would open back up - because just like the prostitutes and drug dealers - as soon as they can smell money, they will find you priests to collect your wages and funnel them back into the church. The stores will open back up = because with a large cash flow, it would be profitable for them to open and take some of your wages. The streets would be cleaned up - because with a higher tax base, they could afford to hire more policemen and they would be more willing to do their jobs if they know that they have back up. It would attract a higher class of citizen, because if you were paying good wages and benefits - people from all over would be attracted to your neighborhood to be closer to their work.

If it wasn't for all these hippies walking around , screaming about the environment, driving Volkswagen Beetles we wouldn't be in the situation we are in today. If Ford and General Motors would have built good automobiles - we wouldn't have had to buy Toyota's and Honda's and everyone would still have a job.

The greatest stimulant for an economy is when there is a global war.
When the war machine gobbles up everything you can make as fast as you can make it. Like I said before, if the women would have been willing to go home, make babies and quit working, this country would not be in the shape it is in today!

With a reduction of even 25% of the workforce, there would be a surplus of good jobs and the employers would have to recruit to find enough qualified people to fill the positions. Now you have to take into account, the first thing you have to do is close the borders and restrict the people who comes into the country down to about zero. We already have too many poor immigrants that are willing to work for pennies on the dollar.

You have to force the elderly to retire at 62 and you have to force the young people to work menial labor jobs for menial pay. The days of sending every kid to post secondary school has to end. Pretty soon - you will need a degree to pick up my garbage and the garbage bill will be $200 a month for one bag.
I realize, of course, that everyone is entitled to their opinion on a subject...but the there are times when somebody has to tell the Emperor he has no clothes on---and this is one of those times

Back on topic...I'm not a Pittsburgh resident, but it IS one of my favorite places to visit and hang out, which I've done on more than one occasion over the past few years...I follow the city online, through the Post-Gazette website, WQED (Pittsburgh Magazine), the City Paper website, this forum---the list goes on and on...and speaking of this forum, there are MANY folks here who, if you ask, will give you loads of advice and guidance about anything in the city you're curious about...

And about your 'hood (Homewood)...I've seen it take some pounding here---it seems anytime someone says 'Homewood', then someone always utters the word 'ghetto' in the same breath, as if the two go together naturally...you're right, there are most likely a multitude of people in Homewood, who aspire to greatness and a better life, but the things that are needed to make it a better place, are lacking right now...

My suggestions to you are these...volunteer--you hadn't said how old you were, but I'm willing to bet if those 'troubled youth' you spoke of saw someone who took an active interest in them and what they thought, then their outlook might not be so bleak...also, find out who your local political representatives and clergymen are, and communicate your concerns to them...if there are block clubs, then start attending meetings---make yourself known, and make your voice heard...go to your local library, and get as much info as you can about Homewood, past and present...get maps, and know the layout of the neighborhood...use the internet, especially search engines, and plug in 'Homewood' as a search term, then READ every bit of info you can, the good AND the bad, so that oyu are prepared with information and ideas next time someone paints Homewood in a negative light...

And I can't leave without addressing the post I quoted...if i didn't know any better, I'd swear Carroll O'Connor had come back from the dead and was playing Archie Bunker again, holding court in his living room and railing on about 'women, hippies, coloreds, foreign cars, immigrants, what have ya!'
and wanting the rest of us to come join him back in the Stone Age...dude, the Flintstones got canceled way back in the day...

Fred and Barney and Wilma and Betty don't live in Bedrock any more, don't drive cars you propel with your feet, and joined the rest of us in the real world...I'm really sorry that you pine so much for the 'good old days', when men were men, women stayed home and were barefoot and pregnant, and coloreds knew their place (behind and beneath you) and VW-Beetle driving hippies weren't everywhere lousing up your utopian existence, and older folks knew when it was time to hang 'em up...

But as I've been known to say, you need to find some tools, build a bridge ( to the real world) and get over it...s**t happens, times change, and if you look outside your window right now, you'll see the world still happily spinning on its axis, oblivious to the fact that you're having a fit because America isn't being run the way YOU want it to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:16 PM

275 posts, read 388,080 times
What would quickly turn the tide for Homewood is people starting to work with the police instead of against them. Please turn in, you can report it silently without giving a name, people who are doing the shootings and carrying around the guns. What is so hard about that?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:23 AM

3,920 posts, read 3,520,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
What would quickly turn the tide for Homewood is people starting to work with the police instead of against them. Please turn in, you can report it silently without giving a name, people who are doing the shootings and carrying around the guns. What is so hard about that?
That's been baffling me for years......

Old 08-08-2010, 01:44 AM

4,447 posts, read 3,166,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Aqua Teen wasn't making that comment at you, but the one that one done by Honest Bob.
Yup. That man's posts defy explanation.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:20 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,487,087 times
As someone who has spent most of his life in and around Beltzhoover, I'll tell you that rec centers are nice, but they don't come close to solving the problems of the "hood". We have a very nice rec center over here, as well as maybe the best city park outside of the 4 majors. It hasn't helped a bit. Rec centers won't pull young drug dealers out of the gangs, and off of the corners. The real troublemakers don't play basketball and such. They are too busy working, and the job they work at is selling drugs. The vast majority of these people come from female headed families, and they are not getting a good education in what it takes to be a man. There are certain things a mother just can't teach a boy, and if he's not getting these lessons at home as I did, he will learn the wrong lessons from men and older boys out in the streets. Daniel Moynahan was criticized 45 years ago, for pointing out that an alarming 25% of black children were being raised by single mothers. It's 70% now, and you see the result. For what it's worth, the white rate is now approaching the mid 20's, which should be very troubling to anyone concerned about the country. Fatherless white boys are also susceptible to much nonsense. You don't have to look any farther than the cop killer Poplawski. Our prisons are filled with men who were raised without a father at home.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:17 AM

1,313 posts, read 2,054,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The vast majority of these people come from female headed families, and they are not getting a good education in what it takes to be a man. There are certain things a mother just can't teach a boy, and if he's not getting these lessons at home as I did, he will learn the wrong lessons from men and older boys out in the streets. Daniel Moynahan was criticized 45 years ago, for pointing out that an alarming 25% of black children were being raised by single mothers. It's 70% now, and you see the result. For what it's worth, the white rate is now approaching the mid 20's, which should be very troubling to anyone concerned about the country. Fatherless white boys are also susceptible to much nonsense. You don't have to look any farther than the cop killer Poplawski. Our prisons are filled with men who were raised without a father at home.
There's not much I get offended over on an internet message board, but you've posted this opinionated bullcrap multiple times on this forum, equating boys raised by single mothers with that murderer Poplawski, and it's uncalled for. I was raised by a single mother and I somehow managed to get a college degree, have a fulltime job and contribute to society, and have never shot any cops. I've known friends also raised by single mothers, and amazingly, they had jobs, an education, and have never been in trouble with the law either.

There's plenty of men in jail too that have been raised by abusive fathers. Do you think it's better for a woman to stay with an abusive man just to preserve the precious family unit? What does a young boy learn from seeing their dad physically, verbally or emotionally abuse their mother? Does that teach them to be a man? Also, many single mothers are in that situation because the dad was an immature douchebag, and ran for the hills when the kid was born. What a hero. Would he have made a good dad?

But maybe you're right... George Sodini grew up with a father. Look how well he turned out.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 AM

2,415 posts, read 2,974,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
As someone who has spent most of his life in and around Beltzhoover, I'll tell you that rec centers are nice, but they don't come close to solving the problems of the "hood". We have a very nice rec center over here, as well as maybe the best city park outside of the 4 majors. It hasn't helped a bit. Rec centers won't pull young drug dealers out of the gangs, and off of the corners. The real troublemakers don't play basketball and such. They are too busy working, and the job they work at is selling drugs. The vast majority of these people come from female headed families, and they are not getting a good education in what it takes to be a man. There are certain things a mother just can't teach a boy, and if he's not getting these lessons at home as I did, he will learn the wrong lessons from men and older boys out in the streets. Daniel Moynahan was criticized 45 years ago, for pointing out that an alarming 25% of black children were being raised by single mothers. It's 70% now, and you see the result. For what it's worth, the white rate is now approaching the mid 20's, which should be very troubling to anyone concerned about the country. Fatherless white boys are also susceptible to much nonsense. You don't have to look any farther than the cop killer Poplawski. Our prisons are filled with men who were raised without a father at home.
I realize you like to trot this out every time somebody talks about crime, but it's an insult to people like me and millions like me who grew up without a father in the house and managed to stay out of trouble.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 AM

275 posts, read 388,080 times
I dont believe recreation centers and clubs are the answer to teens running the streets. You cant expect society to raise your kids. The reason they are on the streets is simply because they lack parenting. Parents are responsble for finding productive things for their kids to do. It's distrubing to see parents on TV, the news specifically, saying there is nothing to do in their community. If they cant figure it out then the children certainly will not. Besides how many taxpayer funded centers are there lining the streets of Homewood. Sadly the whole community is taxpayer funded, with a good portion of the youth sitting at the Shuman detention center.

Last edited by Pitts10yrs; 08-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: speeling

Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 AM

1,313 posts, read 2,054,501 times
*speechless*

Old 08-08-2010, 01:38 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,074,220 times
No one should be citing Michael Jackson when it comes to child rearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh