U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2010, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Yeah
3,191 posts, read 3,812,056 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewood_Resident View Post
I want someone to walk down one of the busiest streets in the neighborhood Frankstown Ave. I will tell you what you see on each block there is at least one bar, a church and several dilapidated buildings. NOT ONE PLACE for trouble youths to run
Hmmm, what about that big ole' YMCA....which happens to stand for Young Mens Christian Association. Nothing there for the young people at all? I can't believe that, and it's in walking distance for most in that neighborhood. It actually looks like one of the nicest buildings in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2010, 09:46 AM
 
58 posts, read 83,831 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Hmmm, what about that big ole' YMCA....which happens to stand for Young Mens Christian Association. Nothing there for the young people at all? I can't believe that, and it's in walking distance for most in that neighborhood. It actually looks like one of the nicest buildings in the neighborhood.

It's there but we're talking about membership fees that single mothers can't afford. That's only one place for children to go. In the suburbs there are countless programs and such for kids to join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 PM
 
Location: The Raider Nation._ Our band kicks brass
1,856 posts, read 5,762,386 times
Reputation: 2137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewood_Resident View Post
It's there but we're talking about membership fees that single mothers can't afford. That's only one place for children to go. In the suburbs there are countless programs and such for kids to join.
Nothing in the suburbs is free. Everybody pays their own way, and nobody is looking for a handout. Think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Perry South, Pittsburgh, PA
475 posts, read 118,276 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Nothing in the suburbs is free. Everybody pays their own way, and nobody is looking for a handout.
What suburbs do you live in? I'd like to live in your world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 01:12 PM
 
Location: The Raider Nation._ Our band kicks brass
1,856 posts, read 5,762,386 times
Reputation: 2137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
What suburbs do you live in? I'd like to live in your world.
What exactly does your comment mean? Do you think all of the little suburb kids are joining all of those activities for free? Parents are writing checks every day to keep their kids active. A kid hater like you wouldn't know that.

You are welcome to come live in my world. I live outside of Salem, Ohio. Most of the properties are 10 acres, and more. We have no crime. We have no public housing, and we have no rec centers. All you have to do is pay the 300k entrance fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Southwest Pa
1,009 posts, read 2,180,937 times
Reputation: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewood_Resident View Post
.....For example Homewood, I want someone to walk down one of the busiest streets in the neighborhood Frankstown Ave. I will tell you what you see on each block there is at least one bar, a church and several dilapidated buildings. NOT ONE PLACE for trouble youths to run for refuges for the street life. Now walk down one of the nicer neighbors like Shadyside. You don't see the same type conditions or businesses there.
  • Bars and churches are the last businesses in a dying neighborhood and the church will die before the bar does.
  • Youth centers alone won't do it, not on a grand scale. The community has to do that by itself. How many times does this need to be said?
  • Shadyside isn't Homewood and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Perry South, Pittsburgh, PA
475 posts, read 118,276 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
What exactly does your comment mean? Do you think all of the little suburb kids are joining all of those activities for free? Parents are writing checks every day to keep their kids active. A kid hater like you wouldn't know that.

You are welcome to come live in my world. I live outside of Salem, Ohio. Most of the properties are 10 acres, and more. We have no crime. We have no public housing, and we have no rec centers. All you have to do is pay the 300k entrance fee.
You claim no one in the suburbs is looking for a handout. You are greatly mistaken. Or foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
 
58 posts, read 83,831 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Nothing in the suburbs is free. Everybody pays their own way, and nobody is looking for a handout. Think about that.

In what handouts are we talking about? Have you read anything I typed? Can I asked where do you live? Do you face the same things I do or anyone else in the neighborhood? How many abandon builds do you have on your block? How many bars do you have in a 2000 step radius? NO ONE is asking for a handout. I basically made this thread because I get tired of people judging a situation that they know nothing about it's just speculation. Until you or anyone else can take the trip to the big bad " Ghetto " you can't base your thoughts on facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
 
58 posts, read 83,831 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
  • Bars and churches are the last businesses in a dying neighborhood and the church will die before the bar does.
  • Youth centers alone won't do it, not on a grand scale. The community has to do that by itself. How many times does this need to be said?
  • Shadyside isn't Homewood and vice versa.

I agree with you Bazzwell youth centers will not solve the problem but you have to start some where right? It's not just about the rec centers it's a mixture of everything that ones don't face on an everyday bases. You have to admit you can afford an house in S.S. you can afford to send your kids just about anywhere in the city. I have four kids and I would love for them to be able to go outside our house to play. I can't trust sending them out there when we have junkies, drunks, and abandon houses every where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
4,262 posts, read 3,919,257 times
Reputation: 2852
Although rec centers may help, the problem can only be solved at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:19 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top