Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:09 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,739 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how it compares to NYC/ NJ. I know people think NYC is more open and liberal, but once you get to know the place its a very conservative place and so are the surrounding areas in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 04:45 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Conservative can mean a lot of different things. The area is somewhat more Democratic than Republican, but in a more old-school Democratic way. People here value traditions and heritages and most people are in no particular rush to change things. There is a live-and-let-live attitude that makes us de facto gay and immigrant friendly, in a non-activist sort of way. We're not particularly hostile to government, and expect it to do helpful things.

So in many ways we are what I would call small-c conservative. But we aren't Movement Conservative in the political/Republican sense.

Edit: Oh, and that does indeed make us much like a lot of NY and NJ.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:48 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Definitely not a "tea bag" area. The word "conservative" has changed over the years. Some people would classify bush as a conservative. I certainly wouldn't. Conservatives in my day had fiscal responsibility. Hence the term "fiscal conservative". Tough question if you have trouble defining the term. Then there is the word "liberal". It has a very strange meaning these days. It has been fully taken over by an extreme media frenzy to push the word to an extreme. All out communism and dictation comes to mind. I can't use the word, because it is so extreme, I don't know anyone that I could call one. Pittsburgh votes Democrat mostly, but I think many prefer fiscal responsibility. Lessons were learned in the steel mill days that have people saving money in mattresses in this region. There were not tons of foreclosures in Pittsburgh.

There is a funny saying in Pennsylvania. Well, I find it funny. There is Pittsburgh on one side, Philadelphia on the other and Alabama in the middle. If you look at how PA votes, in that sense it is true.

Don't know if that answers your questions? Hard to define these words anymore. To me, they have lots their way. Even the word "moderate" would be hard to define anymore.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 AM

457 posts, read 1,280,077 times
1970s Democrat. They want the free ride but don't want to pay for it.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:17 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
It's split up really. Here's what I've experienced:

- Hipster parts of town will have tons of people who lean to the left.
- Poor areas of the city have lots of people who lean to the left.
- Blue collar workers who have union ties still lean to the left.

On the opposite end:

- Blue collar workers who have no ties to unions are very right wing.
- Middle class/upper middle class whites are nearly always right wing.
- Many people have the "Pennsyltucky" mindset are scattered about.

Every office I've work in was at least 3/4 right wing (the Hannity, Rush, Beck type who memorized talking points from all shows). Also, every blue collar job I've worked out that wasn't unionized was either in the right wing or Pennsyltucky mindset.

So if you happen to be around older middle class white men they will most likely be right wing. It's very pronounced here if your don't live in hipster areas.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:33 AM

346 posts, read 537,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I'm wondering how it compares to NYC/ NJ. I know people think NYC is more open and liberal, but once you get to know the place its a very conservative place and so are the surrounding areas in NJ.

How is NYC conservative exactly? I don't follow... what is "conservative" to you?

Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
Much of the city seems to be liberal. Once you head out of the city, it turns a bit more conservative.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:03 AM

379 posts, read 512,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrn14 View Post
How is NYC conservative exactly? I don't follow... what is "conservative" to you?
NYC and the surrounding areas are conservative, but it depends on how you break it down. The large minority population will always vote democrat, because democrats portray themselves (correctly or incorrectly) as being on the side of poor and working class people. Pro welfare, pro govt services, but also anti-gay and anti-White.

However, if you go to Bergen County, NJ, Fairfield County, CT, Essex County, Westchester, Suffolk, Monmouth, etc; you will find many suburban dwellers who already feel overtaxed, overburdened, with highest property taxes in the nation, toll roads, $10 bridges, $8 tunnels, high sales tax, high state income tax, etc. Yes, higher incomes relative to the rest of the country, but all of that money is taken away by taxes.

There are many wealthy people in these areas. Wealthy people like comfort. Comfort means security. Security means conservatism. Conservatism means that you are willing to give up some freedom to feel safe. 9/11 was in our backyard. I find many people in this area to be scared-sh*t puritan conservatives who prefer a Stepford perfect little suburban life.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Quote:
Then there is the word "liberal". It has a very strange meaning these days. It has been fully taken over by an extreme media frenzy to push the word to an extreme. All out communism and dictation comes to mind. I can't use the word, because it is so extreme
No, it's meaning has not changed, only the corporate conservative media's definition of it.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:01 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Keep in mind the numbers are overwhelmingly Democrat most all the time. Same with Philly. The so-called conservatives are more verbose, so sometimes it may feel like there are more of them, but the numbers don't support that. If Palin runs, she will get almost no votes in this town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh