Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,022,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
A. Youngstown is literally 60 miles from Cleveland proper. How it equates to Cleveland is beyond anyone's comprehension.

B. Johnstown is worse than Youngstown.

C. Youngstown has an Interstate running though it. The escape is easy.
Not sure what Cleveland proper has to do with Youngstown, nor what your point is, but I will take your word on that one. Where I am confused, though, is what you base your comments regarding Johnstown being worse than Youngstown. Admittedly, I have not been to Johnstown, PA in many years, but I could not fathom many cities being in worse economic shape than Youngstown. I did some research, comparing the two cities through City-Data, and the numbers confirm that Youngstown is not a place that most would ever choose to visit, much less, relocate.

Comparing Youngstown to Johnstown ( a Pennsylvania city drastically affected by the economic downturn), there is virtually no comparison.... Youngstown is in far worse shape. When comparing the two cities, Youngstown has the significantly higher unemployment rate, significantly higher crime rate, significantly higher numbers of residents living in poverty, significantly higher percentages of sex offenders per resident, higher drop-out rates, a lower per capita income, significantly lower housing values, and a higher cost of living index. In other words, Johnstown may be in poor economic shape, but the city significantly exceeds the quality of life offered to the citizens of Youngstown.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Youngstown-Ohio.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Johnst...nsylvania.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:04 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,190,552 times
Comparing Youngstown to Johnstown is not really apples to apples. Youngstown is the urban center for a region of over 500,000 people and has many nicer suburban communities. Johnstown has about 20,000 people, and has around 140,000 if you count the surrounding towns. Basically Youngstown feels more like an urban center and Johnstown more like a town.

I would say the greater Youngstown area has more going for it, but the actual city of Younsgtown is worse than Johnstown. Johnstown is economically depressed and worn looking, but I would not really feel unsafe anywhere in that town. On the other hand I would say that much of Youngstown within the city proper is to be avoided, but any of Youngtown's suburbs are fine.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:31 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,087,828 times
Why not Florida? Warm climate, no income tax.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,604,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I stayed in Youngstown about 2 weeks ago.... what a very depressing and downtrodden city. I would avoid ever staying in that city again, much less, consider living there. FYI, the unemployment rate in Youngstown is at least 1.5% higher than Johnstown. I cannot comment on the Johnstown region, however, as I have not been there in many years. Ironically, I was reading an Ohio newspaper while in Youngstown, reporting a controversial statement made by an Ohio politician. He had been referring to the fact that many Ohio CPA's are recommending to their more fiscally sound clients to plan their retirement elsewhere... relocate from Ohio to a more tax-friendly locale. There has to be a reason why Ohio is considered that absolute worst place to retire in some studies... maybe the OP should research why, before making the final personal decision.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Trust me, I have seen the numbers on unemployment rates for metro regions. Youngstown has a lot more going for it than Johnstown. I am originally from PA, and I travel into and through Johnstown all the time to get back to Philly... depressing place.

I wouldn't write off the Youngstown area though. It is a metro area of almost 600,000, and there are a lot of great places to live there, and I was just telling CortlandGirl how underrated the area is. Ever hear of Millcreek Park, a great treasure to the area. Plus, I have meant many from the Pittsburgh area living in growing towns close to the border like Columbiana and Poland.

If you want truly depressing, head to many of Michigan's metro areas. Youngstown has had a lot of postive news lately (latest I heard was 200 new jobs coming to the bustling downtown). I think it would benefit the OP because they are right smack in the middle of two great cities like Pittsburgh and Cleveland, while having a lot of great benefits that the Youngstown area can offer.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:52 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,049,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Youngstown has had a lot of postive news lately (latest I heard was 200 new jobs coming to the bustling downtown). I think it would benefit the OP because they are right smack in the middle of two great cities like Pittsburgh and Cleveland, while having a lot of great benefits that the Youngstown area can offer.
Yeah! Two hundred jobs to employ people in Boardman, Poland and Canfield! And the the life continues to be sucked out of Youngstown...

Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,893,432 times
Well, even if they live in the burbs they will be spending money downtown at lunch and paying the city wage tax. Some young professionals have also moved into some new apartments downtown as of late, so i don't see it as a bad thing. Shoot, any jobs added to the Mahoning Valley is a good thing, i don't care where the job is as long as it employs residents in our metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh