U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 PM

1,147 posts, read 903,666 times
Default Pedro!

It's the moment we've been waiting for -- are the Pirate's fortunes about to change???........

Alvarez hits walk-off homer to beat Rockies

...... we might have a .500 team soon!

Seriously the city is starving for a decent baseball team -- even if they can hit .500 next year, I for one and many others in the city will go crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 12:00 AM

164 posts, read 233,100 times
.500 next year? lol, ok.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:12 AM

1,147 posts, read 903,666 times
Well they're 9-13 since the All Star break and have played some pretty good teams in that stretch (San Diego, St Louis, Cincy)

They could get better or worse, depending on what they do in the offseason.

I've learned to tame my optimism, though, for sure. L0L

Last edited by DaBurgh; 08-08-2010 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 08-08-2010, 06:19 AM

9,882 posts, read 9,506,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
.500 next year? lol, ok.
It's permanently next year, you know, like "free beer tomorrow".

Old 08-08-2010, 06:14 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,359,736 times
This is their fourth "five year plan" since 1992. I am most optimistic about this one because they will have all of this young talent for four or five years at least. This is the crop with the most potential. They still need a few more pieces and they also need to learn how to win. That swagger will come in time once they get better and believe in themselves.
Pittsburgh is not that bad of a baseball town. The Pirates draw fairly well considering this will be year #18 in a row that they fielded a losing squad. Sure, fireworks, bobbleheads, and PNC Park itself contributed to their sixth straight sellout on a Saturday, but still, Pittsburgh is a better baseball city than many give it credit for. In my lifetime, we have had good teams, lousy stadium(Three Rivers) or lousy team, phenominal stadium(PNC Park) If we can get the buccos in a pennant race in August and September, the atmosphere on the North Shore will be one big party.
Remember five or six years ago the indifference there was towards the Penguins before Crosby, Malkin, Fleury? They were struggling to draw 10,000 to Mellon Arena and many of their current bandwagoneers could not have cared less. There is nothing wrong with being a bandwagoneer because it shows that a team is successful. The most ardent Pirate fans, like myself, hope that currently indifferent fans jump on the bandwagon also. The most ardent Penguin fans may not like the price of their tickets etc. since the team became so popular, but surely are glad that the team is so popular because it almost moved out of town a few years ago. It was a complete turnaround.
The Pirates play eighty-one dates a year on the North Shore, not including playoffs. The Penguins and Steelers combined in a best case scenario including pre-season and playoffs, may play sixty and that is pushing it. The Pirates are equally important to this community as the Steelers and Penguins despite your favorite sport or favorite team.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:36 PM

8,270 posts, read 7,342,973 times
500 won't happen for at least 4 years, if the plan comes together and Nuttings pay for some free agent veterans. My guess is that won't happen. I just hope the constant losing does not wear down McCutcheon, he might be the only one out there with HOF potential.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 PM

9,615 posts, read 8,281,660 times
Not totally related, but I've heard a few Cleveland sports fans insist that Pittsburgh sports fans are all a bunch of "bandwagoners," which is basically their way of holding the relative success of our teams against us. I noticed, however, that the Pirates have outdrawn the Indians this season, both in sheer number and percentage. (In fact, only the Blue Jays have been a worse draw than the Indians.)

Old 08-08-2010, 10:54 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,359,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Not totally related, but I've heard a few Cleveland sports fans insist that Pittsburgh sports fans are all a bunch of "bandwagoners," which is basically their way of holding the relative success of our teams against us. I noticed, however, that the Pirates have outdrawn the Indians this season, both in sheer number and percentage. (In fact, only the Blue Jays have been a worse draw than the Indians.)
Pittsburghers love a winner. We are not unlike most cities in professional sports. Some cities will always draw because the markets are big and there are only so many seats to go around. The Red Sox and Cubs always draw because they play in nostalgic ballparks and have a huge fan base due to market size.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 AM

815 posts, read 1,066,303 times
I like Pedro...but it's way too early. His present day stat line is about 100% identical to Brad Eldred's during his big call up year, and we all know what happened with him(for those of you who are asking who the hell Brad Eldred is...well, my point exactly). At this point in time, Pedro looks way too much like a Dave Kingman/Carlos Pena type of hitter...which means that he'll hit a good 35-45 HRs a year and drive in 100+RBI, however he's going to chase bad pitches and probably only hit .220-.260 with close to 200Ks each year. He still has a long, long way to go, so hopefully he can work on his plate discipline and bring that average up to match his power. At present, I'd say that he has a floor of Dave Kingman/Carlos Pena and a ceiling of ironically enough...Aramis Ramirez with a tad more power.

As for the Pirates...nah. The rotation is a mess, and we only have a proven #2 and #3 starter at the moment(Ohlendorf and Maholm). We still need to find an ace and either develop or sign some quality starters for the back end of the rotation...we should have sold high on Duke, he's trash. As for the lineup, we need a SS that can bat #1 or #2 with some speed and somebody to hit for power out of RF. I'd rather see Doumit play RF and see what he can do over an entire season than see Millidge finish the year with a .280/5/45 stat line from a power hitting position. The pen is a total mess at the moment too, we have a closer and righty setup man...but that's it. Everything else is a total wreck since trading Carrasco/Dotel/Lopez. Not that they were bad trades, if anything it was the opposite...but we still need to sign vets for the pen in 2011 or else we're screwed.

Basically, if the team keeps pressing forward and nobody regresses...we find a SS, get power out of RF, fix the pen, and either develop or sign 2 more starters in the least...then we SHOULD be at least a .500 team for the 2012 season. Next year should be fun to watch, but it's still going to be too much of a developmental year to really achieve too much. Probably will win 75 next season.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 AM

146 posts, read 165,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I like Pedro...but it's way too early. His present day stat line is about 100% identical to Brad Eldred's during his big call up year, and we all know what happened with him(for those of you who are asking who the hell Brad Eldred is...well, my point exactly). At this point in time, Pedro looks way too much like a Dave Kingman/Carlos Pena type of hitter...which means that he'll hit a good 35-45 HRs a year and drive in 100+RBI, however he's going to chase bad pitches and probably only hit .220-.260 with close to 200Ks each year. He still has a long, long way to go, so hopefully he can work on his plate discipline and bring that average up to match his power. At present, I'd say that he has a floor of Dave Kingman/Carlos Pena and a ceiling of ironically enough...Aramis Ramirez with a tad more power.
I'll take a solid defensive 3b that hits .260 with 40 jacks and 100+ rbi every day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh