U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:25 AM

16 posts, read 61,038 times
I just stumbled on this interesting thread and want to put it my two cents. To the original poster, I think you should move to Braddock, though you may have to tweak your goals like the Pilates studio in city limits for all the reasons people here have mentioned.

I think Braddock and maybe other Mon Valley mill towns should be the east coast equivalent of the Salton Sea in California: places where people escape to remake themselves, no questions asked and to free themselves of past identities. In the process of changing themselves, they will change their environments too. The crushing homogenization of the country into the same chain stores and cookie cutter box houses should have a counterpart for people who breathe and thrive in different settings.

If I could, I would move to Braddock in a heartbeat and I still may at some point. The crime issue doesn't bother me - I'm a Baltimore native, street wise, and the crime here makes Braddock's look like a kindergarden.

Finally- and this isn't directed to the original poster - for anyone considering such a move, just be ruthlessly honest with yourself and your motives because Braddock and Mayor Fettleman need doers and not folks in existential crisis who see Braddock as therapy. It can't and won't be that.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 AM

21 posts, read 19,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
By the way, the funniest thing about Braddock is that the Edgar Thompson Works employs over 900 people - that's just about one job for each household in the borough. So I wouldn't say the borough has a problem with jobs. And it should have a tax windfall from the value of the plant if it's assessed correctly.
That sounds like a great way to drive the employer out.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Good idea. But you know how corporate America is, if any more cuts into their profits they'll just shut the mill down. At the very least jack up the occupational privilage tax to all those who travel in to Braddock everyday to make their living.
Would you expect any entity to not react if you suddenly increase the amount of money you take from it?

Old 08-16-2010, 05:52 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,066,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queecho Feecho View Post
That sounds like a great way to drive the employer out.
That would probably be a good thing for Braddock. Maybe not so good for places like Plum, Monroeville and Murrysville.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:57 PM

1,158 posts, read 985,106 times
Quote:
Would you expect any entity to not react if you suddenly increase the amount of money you take from it?
Well maybe in lieu of $$ the plant could voluntarily help the borough with some landscaping projects or building demolition and haul away-SOMETHING. The steel mill does not help the towns image, you would think they could after all these years of producing steel and making a profit try to give back something to the community
BTW Mayor Fetterman is one of not many who loves the look and can "see" the beauty of the steel mill. IMO it does kinda look like Emerald City ( from a distance,that is)

Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 AM

Any good pictures to give me a better idea what the mill looks like?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:47 AM

3,896 posts, read 3,765,352 times
I agree with Fetterman. Steel mills look cool.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:44 PM

41,727 posts, read 46,336,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp8983 View Post
Finally- and this isn't directed to the original poster - for anyone considering such a move, just be ruthlessly honest with yourself and your motives because Braddock and Mayor Fettleman need doers and not folks in existential crisis who see Braddock as therapy. It can't and won't be that.
Braddock and Fetterman would be happy enough to add any law-abiding, tax paying person to the population, even those in existential crisis looking for meaning in life.

Braddock desperately needs repopulated. If simply relocating to Braddock to be a tax-paying resident is all someone is inspired to DO for Braddock, that's okay.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM

875 posts, read 782,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Braddock and Fetterman would be happy enough to add any law-abiding, tax paying person to the population, even those in existential crisis looking for meaning in life.

Braddock desperately needs repopulated. If simply relocating to Braddock to be a tax-paying resident is all someone is inspired to DO for Braddock, that's okay.
Long time no see Hopes...

Old 08-17-2010, 06:25 PM

1,158 posts, read 985,106 times
Quote:
Any good pictures to give me a better idea what the mill looks like?
Unfortunately, no. I used to look out of the conference room window where I had a fairly full view of the one side of ET The last time I worked there was a month before the hospital closed and regrettably, I didn't think to get pictures.
It's a big ,hulking,mammoth grey structure with huge smoke stacks with high flames.It's more like white steam that comes out of the stack so it looks like a large continuous cumulus cloud, not black smoke. There are some twinkling lights on the outside and top of the mill's stacks, making it look like Emerald City.That's best way I can describe it. I wish I had more technically accurate description of the mills physical layout but I never had any family that worked in one. I come from a family of coal miners.

The Rolling Stone article about Mayor Fetterman called "The Mayor of Hell" had a good pic of the mill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh