U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,134,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post

Pittsburgh Mills solved part of it's vacancies by renting to ITT school (took 8 to 12 store fronts), a church, Century 21 real estate office and Alle-Kiski hospital. There's enough space for Kennywood to build a new amusement park. However, it's the kind of mall you go to once and never go back to again. Whose brilliant idea was it to build a 5-story Marriott there?

I hate that place in Homestead, although I admire how you city folks defend crap and traffic like it's so wonderful and convenient.
I, too, hate the Waterfront. I avoid it at all costs. They have nothing over there that I can't get from anywhere else...

And, Pittsburgh Mills.... ....what a joke....LOL.........who even stays at that hotel? LOLLLL Only thing that I love about out that way is that Super Wal-Mart...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:39 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,318,485 times
Lightbulb Okay...I Understand What You're Saying---But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
When there was a shooting at the mall(10 yrs ago???) the first thing PAT suspended was bus service from Wilkinsburg, This was obviously done to prevent any more scum from coming to the mall and causing trouble. The thug criminals from areas like this have nothing better to do, so they jump on the bus and go to the mall to hang out, which eventually ends up as trouble. Take a walk thru the mall and see what I'm talking about.
Did you read the last paragraph of my post? That is how solutions get started, Aveo...not by rehashing old incidents, and continuing to harp on the 'thug problem'...

When people start showing concern about the issues, instead of hand-wringing and yelling and 'look what those ol' nasty thugs did now!', then EVERYONE can come to the table and start trying to decide how to move forward...

Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 AM

9,879 posts, read 9,223,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
And, Pittsburgh Mills.... ....what a joke....LOL.........who even stays at that hotel? LOLLLL Only thing that I love about out that way is that Super Wal-Mart...
While Pittsburgh Mills was indeed a joke, the hotel is probably more there because they have a new interchange and a decent cleared parcel to build it on. It's not there because people are staying there to shop. A hotel that's located near something to eat/shop is more useful for someone from out of town than one that isn't, and it's right off the highway and keep in mind fairly close to the Turnpike. I don't think the hotel market was oversaturated up there or anything. It's probably doing fine (though I don't have any specific info to back that up).

Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 AM

9,560 posts, read 8,077,508 times
I see no reason why enclosed shopping malls have to be obsolete. I'd rather shop indoors in January. Furthermore, I see no reason why Monroeville Mall has to decline. Monroeville is the commercial epicenter of the eastern suburbs, and there are still plenty of people to draw from within a 10-mile radius.

I know that Monroeville Mall isn't faring as well as Ross Park Mall, South Hills Village or The Mall at Robinson, but I believe that it still can -- and should -- be a viable place to go.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 AM

475 posts, read 114,571 times
Robinson is almost painful to get to during the day with all the traffic.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,168,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Again, when the government spends billions and billions subsidizing a particular development pattern (and often actively regulating alternatives out of existence), what does it tell you about "the common man" when a lot of development follows that pattern? Not much.

This is provably false. The demand for housing in gentrified central neighborhoods is extremely high, so much so it is obvious that market is undersupplied.

Of course they care--ultimately it is their free time, their income, their national security tax dollars, and so on that are being wasted.

The problem is our political process is loaded against Joe & Jane "Average", and stacked in favor of all the people who are making a profit off the massive subsidies in question.
"This is provably false."............You're speaking niche market. I'm talking common Joe & Jane with the 2.5 kids, the SUV, the daycare center, lawncare and the one hour commute that think their life couldn't get any better...unless they had a bigger house and all the extras.

"Of course they care"............. No, really, they don't. They have free time for golf and the tanning booth. National security matters only that the enemy doesn't take their parking space or get ahead of them in rush hour. Their income? They sign up for a $250k+ home loan and think nothing of $60k for a vehicle. These types hire someone to pick up their dog's doo-doo! That's the only waste I see.

"The problem is our political process is"............has been, is now, and forevermore shall be as you said.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:40 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,930,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
"This is provably false."............You're speaking niche market. I'm talking common Joe & Jane with the 2.5 kids, the SUV, the daycare center, lawncare and the one hour commute that think their life couldn't get any better...unless they had a bigger house and all the extras.
Once again, if you subsidize one product with billions and billions of dollars, and regulate the other product to near-extinction, it doesn't tell you much when the former ends up with a bigger market share than the latter. Your Joe & Jane did the best they could in the market as they found it, but remove the massive government thumb pushing down on one side of the scale, and the market Joe & Jane find themselves in will end up very different. And then many Joes & Janes will make different choices, and they will adjust to the virtues of their new lifestyle as if it could never have been any different, and they will be wealthier and happier too.

The bottomline is that Americans are flexible sorts, and we will adjust to these upcoming changes pretty easily.

Quote:
"Of course they care"............. No, really, they don't. They have free time for golf and the tanning booth.
They have a lot less time for leisure activities because of their long commutes.

Quote:
National security matters only that the enemy doesn't take their parking space or get ahead of them in rush hour.
And they never, ever complain about taxes, right?

Quote:
Their income? They sign up for a $250k+ home loan and think nothing of $60k for a vehicle.
You know you are no longer talking about the common person anymore, right? As of 2004, the average mortgage amount was under $140K, and only 10% were over $250K. The average price of a new car in the U.S. is under $29,000.

And again, remove all the billions in subsidies and level the regulatory playing field, and the lifestyle you are describing will become even more of a "niche" for the wealthy (and only those wealthy who actually prefer that lifestyle).

Quote:
"The problem is our political process is"............has been, is now, and forevermore shall be as you said.
Nope, things are changing. There are certain people who have made a lot of money off the status quo, and then there are some people who acquired a vested interest in the status quo but without any fundamental interest in it, and then there are some number of people (mostly in rural areas) who really would have to fundamentally change their preferred lifestyle if the status quo changed.

The thing is, that last group is ever-shrinking in terms of relative numbers, and while everything from partisan politics to block-voting to gerrymandering to the odd nature of the U.S. Senate is causing inertia, inevitably that is a numbers game they will lose. In parallel, because the status quo has proven financially unsustainable, the second group has also just recently started to decline in prominence, and as more and more people work out of under water mortgages, it will decline further still. That leaves the people making the money, and again while they can try to hold on a bit longer, the tide is eventually going to sweep them away.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:04 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,465,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I haven't been inside Monroeville Mall for many years. I've been up there when going to Best Buy and seeing the new buildings in the front parking lot made me think it was busting at the belt and expanding. The crimes I learned about on the news within the past couple of years were unusual.

There was a time when you could run a lottery about guessing how many cars would be stolen at the mall this week, but they cleaned that up by not relying on mall security and running regular police patrols. Their PD is very efficient and respectable, in my experience.

Pittsburgh Mills solved part of it's vacancies by renting to ITT school (took 8 to 12 store fronts), a church, Century 21 real estate office and Alle-Kiski hospital. There's enough space for Kennywood to build a new amusement park. However, it's the kind of mall you go to once and never go back to again. Whose brilliant idea was it to build a 5-story Marriott there?

I hate that place in Homestead, although I admire how you city folks defend crap and traffic like it's so wonderful and convenient.
I like the approach Zamias is doing to Pittsburgh Mills, brings back the old days when those things used to be in malls. Nowadays, it's kind of unusual to see a church or a school in a mall, but that's a good way to fill some vacant space. There was also talk of a waterpark moving into the mall, but I still haven't seen any progress with that lately.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,168,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

"They have a lot less time for leisure activities because of their long commutes."

But they have better money for more expensive pursuits.

"And they never, ever complain about taxes, right?"

Everyone complains about taxes.....and pays them.

You're overthinking the entire issue, needlessly so I add. But I will agree on one thing, in general people will adapt to their circumstances when given no other option.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,930,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
You're overthinking the entire issue, needlessly so I add.
I think it is important to point out how the choices people currently make about where and how to live are being strongly influenced by various public policies, particularly as we are in the process of reconsidering many of those policies. If nothing else, pointing that out is a useful antidote to people who insist we shouldn't change those policies on the ground that they allegedly give people what they want, since in truth that notion is getting these issues backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh