U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:44 AM

875 posts, read 750,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Stop the busses coming in from Wilkinsburg and any problems will stop.
Hah, so I take it you would be one of those rabidly-vocal people standing against extending the East Busway to Monroeville Mall even though it could help out Eastern Suburb commuters and possibly re-invigorate the Braddock and Turtle-Creek communities?

Sorry for sounding accusatory... but I really think everyone needs to stop thinking of Pittsburgh neighborhoods as "ghettos"... Once people do, then we can actually achieve progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 12:00 PM

475 posts, read 96,915 times
As soon as some of the neighborhoods stop being ghettos they'll stop being thought of as ghettos.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,314,544 times
Wilkinsburg already has several non-ghetto sections. It doesn't seem to have stopped many people from suggesting otherwise anyway.

In any event, I agree better public transit connections to Monroeville would help, not hurt, its marketability. However, it would have to start shifting to a more transit-oriented-development model to really make that work.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 PM

4,188 posts, read 2,714,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
As soon as some of the neighborhoods stop being ghettos they'll stop being thought of as ghettos.
Exactly.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,416,139 times
Even though I feel that better transit options are needed in Monroeville, I also feel that they need to improve their existing highway infrastructure which is sorely outdated and is clearly deteriorating in some spots. There's nothing there to make it invitable and welcoming to commuters and residents.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 PM

2,424 posts, read 756,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Wilkinsburg already has several non-ghetto sections. It doesn't seem to have stopped many people from suggesting otherwise anyway.

In any event, I agree better public transit connections to Monroeville would help, not hurt, its marketability. However, it would have to start shifting to a more transit-oriented-development model to really make that work.
No it won't help, you will just give easier access to The Mall for the scum from Wilkinsburg and that zhithole called Braddock, to cause further crime to the area.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:32 PM

12,429 posts, read 9,435,551 times
Are criminals really big on using public transportation to do their nefarious deeds? I can't imagine that there are that many "scum" waiting for the T in Allentown and Beltzhoover so they can go wreak havoc in Mt. Lebanon or Bethel Park.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:35 PM

9,872 posts, read 8,604,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
This is actually backwards. Look up the definition of ghetto.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:43 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,107,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaniDesDev View Post
The entire region is suffering from neglect and is slipping into dereliction.

As much as hate the tought of Mon Valley Expressway, I believe it is eastern Allegheny County's only hope. Its time the local politicians pull their heads out of their a** and actually accomplish SOMETHING
Not just the Monroeville area but the Rt 51 corridor as well. Both areas just have that outdated look to them and the road system is awful.

Finish the expressway and give progress some reason to move to these areas. What good is a four lane expressway running between Large and (for now) Brownsville. For that matter, what good is it when they finish it to the border at West Virginia, but that's another thread. Hook it up to downtown and you'll see an amazing transformation over the next three decades or so. That's about how long it took for the Cranberry/I-79 corridor to go crazy.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:51 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,314,544 times
Expecting that finishing the MFE would save existing inner suburbs is like expecting I-279 to save the North Side. A project like that would push development out to new greenfield sites in the boondocks, not rescue the inner suburbs it cut through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh