U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2010, 09:35 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,875,311 times

Advertisements

Here it is:

The Three Rivers now overflow with wildlife, water lovers

It has both an overview section as well as specific stories of people using the rivers today.

Of course we are just getting started, in both good ways and bad. The bad ways are that despite many improvement, there are still some significant pollution issues. As discussed in the article, a particular concern is storm runoff, but fortunately CONNECT (the alliance of Pittsburgh and its municipal neighbors) is working to formulate a comprehensive plan.

The good ways are that we still have lots more we can do to improve the riverfronts, and we now have a well-organized process for laying out such plans and eventually implementing them. And I think the more time people spend on the riverfronts, the more people will be tempted out onto the water as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 12:20 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,036,145 times
Nice article-thanks for sharing by posting!

But despite the significant pollution issues-the return of all those species of wildlife to three rivers is a good indication of the rivers' overall health.
Many communities along The Ohio get their water supply from Pittsburgh's "Fourth River" the large underground aquifer near the point. It's said because that water is so ultrafiltrated by flowing through silt, many times when they test the quality they find it doesn't even need treated.

Now if we can just improve our air quality...

Old 08-13-2010, 12:35 PM

Apparently that aquifer is also part of why that big Hindu temple out in Monroeville was located here. Supposedly it stands in for the Sarawati River referenced here:

Triveni Sangam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 PM

Wow- I didn't realize that the Indian culture places significance on the Burgh as well as the Mayans in deep reverence to our "Point"
Although I guess we still technically have one more river than the Sangam, I think the confluence and the underground river is what's most important to them
the Mayans will be here in 2 more years to mark the beginning of their new era. I know the Point represents a portal between heaven and earth that is depicted in the ancient Mayan Calendar.

And people think that the Burgh lacks any significance or diversity culturally. Boy are they wrong!
Although for me, the most direct portal from earth to heaven is eating a fresh Primanti sandwich.

I wonder how we , the Burgh ,can welcome these people when they arrive. Do we invite them by saying " Hey yinz guys, want us to help build a pyramid or something?" !!

But seriously, Pittsburgh should place an even more emphatic effort to clean the rivers as much as possible because of the great increase in recreational use of the rivers for Pittsburgh and visitors who come here, but also out of respect for these other cultures, I think it's very interesting,this special importance they have placed upon our rivers and the Point.

I think the Burgh should feel honored.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:14 PM

As an aside, we only have one more river because of the way we count them (as two rivers joining to create a new, third river, as opposed to one river merging into the second).

Old 08-13-2010, 05:07 PM

Yeah I see what you're saying- they keep the name of one of the two physical rivers after the point of convergence( I Wiki'd it), whereas we have the Ohio River as a result of the merging of the Allegheny and The Mon. I initially thought it was a convergence of a physical and the mythical rivers to = 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh