U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 1,545 times
Default Need help findng the perfect apartment for newlyweds

Hi, me and my husband are currently looking for an apartment in Pittsburgh. W are not from the area and would love some help finding the right apartment. We are looking to move the second week of september. We are looking to spend no more than $700 total (including all necessary utlities:electric, heat, water, sewage, trash) and will need a studio if possible but a one bedroom would be fine. We need an apartment as close to downtown as we can get because we dont have a car (we ride our bikes or walk), possibly in the Oakland or southside areas, maybe need a park (Schenley Park maybe?) as we love being outdoors. We also play music, so preferably in an area that we can durring the day make some noise in our apartment, as well as in an area that is easy to get to places to play said music. We are young (he's 20, im 21) so we'd like to be among other youngsters. If anyone has any advice on where to find an apartment and where to look I'd love to hear it.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 04:46 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,945,668 times
Would you consider taking a quick bus Downtown? I wouldn't discourage walking/biking, but being willing to take a bus would really expand your options.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:10 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,000,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w.french8810 View Post
We also play music, so preferably in an area that we can durring the day make some noise in our apartment, as well as in an area that is easy to get to places to play said music.
You should rent a single-family house on a lot of land rather than inflict that level of noise on your neighbors.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:58 PM

712 posts, read 1,024,537 times
For that kind of money, you might have to settle for someplace like New Kensington and not down town Pittsburgh.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:13 AM

4,262 posts, read 3,898,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Superman View Post
For that kind of money, you might have to settle for someplace like New Kensington and not down town Pittsburgh.
I heard New Ken was a bad area (I don't know much about New Ken,so forgive me if I'm wrong.) But I do know New Ken is a bit far for the area they are looking for. Not only that, I don't really hear about New Ken being a place for young kids, musicians and artists.

I would suggest the South Side as being more ideal. There isn't really a park (I think Mt. Washington has one) but there is a trail that runs along the river behind South Side Works where you can ride a bike. South Side is also a music hot spot. As far as a place to live, you may find something cheaper as you go closer toward the slopes.

You may even want to check out Lawrenceville.

Last edited by raubre; 08-15-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 AM

9,879 posts, read 9,242,539 times
South Side is obvious but the rent might be a problem. Other possibilities might be Lawrenceville (lower part), Bloomfield, Polish Hill. Rent could still be a problem. None of these will guarantee you're surrounded by folks your age, but all have some younger population. (Bloomfield may have the least of these 4 areas.) None of these are particularly near the really large city parks, that's true. You might throw Mt Washington in there. You won't much want to bike home from downtown, very steep uphill (although I guess Polish Hill would also be that way).

Not sure if you already know this, but keep in mind that when we refer to "downtown" we're talking about a rather small triangular area starting from the point where the rivers meet, the space where the tall office buildings are. So the suggestions are city neighborhoods that are near that part. If that's not the part of the city you need to be near, then you may have to be more specific and we can readjust the suggestions.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:22 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,945,668 times
Greenfield is bikable from Downtown (at least I see people biking up the hill), and reasonably close to both Schenley and Frick Parks.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:56 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,000,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
You won't much want to bike home from downtown, very steep uphill (although I guess Polish Hill would also be that way).
Lawrenceville is also hilly. Most of it is actually built on a hill going from Butler Street on the south to Penn Avenue on the north, extending from the 30s to the 50s.

Also, you may find better pricing after Sept. 1, when this year's crop of students will be housed.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 AM

712 posts, read 1,024,537 times
I don't know of anybody who is going to be willing to put up with loud music being played during the day.

An apartment building is made up of many tenants and neighbors and not everybody works 7 to 3:30 PM

You start waking up someone who is trying to sleep and you are going to have a angry bear on your hands.

I guess your idea was that you would crash out at the apartment and play your music in the park on nice days. Only winter is just around the corner and you will be home bound from November to March.

By that time, the apartment manager will be so tired of you that you will be homeless anyways.

The reason why I said New Ken is because nobody will care if you play some music up there, it might be a relaxing change over the gun fire, sirens and ambulances that you normally hear up there.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:21 PM

12,827 posts, read 10,009,070 times
Quote:
You might throw Mt Washington in there. You won't much want to bike home from downtown, very steep uphill (although I guess Polish Hill would also be that way).
Are bikes allowed on the inclines? You could conceivably bike down the hill and ride the incline back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh