U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 AM

475 posts, read 137,407 times

Advertisements

A box of 50 of... what? What caliber? What brand? Hollow point? FMJ?

Also... go shoot that gun, it's not worth much to you if you don't practice with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 AM

4,447 posts, read 3,166,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
Good point. Also I've heard that they're reloads too. I'll pass.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM

58 posts, read 86,758 times
Quote:

Also... go shoot that gun, it's not worth much to you if you don't practice with it.

I have a 9mm and don't know the brand. I do shot I just rather not use my hollow points lol. I don't have anywhere to shoot either besides the range so when ever I do go I rail 300+ rounds.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 PM

475 posts, read 137,407 times
Wexford State Game Lands Range is free for anyone to use at any time, just a short drive up the road.

And if you ever plan on using your hollowpoints you need to practice with them first.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:39 PM

58 posts, read 86,758 times
Quote:
Wexford State Game Lands Range is free for anyone to use at any time, just a short drive up the road.

And if you ever plan on using your hollowpoints you need to practice with them first.

Very true and thanks for the info on Wexford.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:15 PM

712 posts, read 1,070,798 times
I'm a little confused here - because where I come from - we call a gun a Firearm and we call what you call a gun a PISTOL. OK

So if you are talking about pistols - technically they are a sidearm or a handgun and not technically under the listing of gun as per se.

That is one of the first things that I noticed about city slickers.
My brother would bring home advertisements for gun stores around Pittsburgh and I noticed that the pages were full of handguns and only had one or two articles about rifles and shotguns.

Technically if you were looking for a GUN the place to go is Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield PA. Grice Gun Shop has over 10,000 guns in stock and if you want it - they have it.

As far as rifles and shotguns goes, the Remington truck pulls in a couple of times a year, loaded from top to bottom, front to back, 54 feet - full of firearms and the whole truck is unloaded at Grice Wholesale.

So most guns that you buy, actually comes from either Dick's Wholesale out of Ohio or Grice Gun Shop... You might buy it off a dealer from South Carolina, but if it was a new rifle or shotgun or pistol, at one time or another, it was probably in Grices warehouse.

As far as shooting ranges goes. I will remind everyone that there is limitations to using a public range at most PA State Game Lands.
The DEP closed down the ranges a few years ago - due to the fact that the lead was contaminating the ground and they had to clean up those areas. Because of the cost, Semi Auto firearms with large capacity clips, semi auto rifles, full auto rifles and some other guns are banned in those area's.

Basically - if you cannot hunt with it, it is no longer welcome at the ranges at the Game Lands. It is not fair for the sportsmen of Pennsylvania to have to foot the bill for maniac's with these AK 47's, AR 15 - full auto, SKS rifles to shoot a couple hundred or even thousand rounds and then leave and make someone else foot the bill to clean up the mess.
And if you leave your empty casings on the ground, you can be fined for littering. Just something for you to think about.

One of the gun stores that comes to mind is Johnsons Gun Depot in Norvelt
Johnson's Gun Depot, Norvelt, PA : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
Sol's of Ambridge - also had firearms at one time.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:31 PM

4,064 posts, read 3,202,780 times
Maybe you've been shortening "long gun" to just "gun"?

Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM

4,447 posts, read 3,166,485 times
I don't know anyone who calls a gun store a "firearms store" but maybe that's just me.

I never knew about that place in Clearfield, nice!

Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM

2,424 posts, read 881,695 times
Quote:
I only have limited experience with less than great stores in the area (Anthony Arms, meh. Gunrunners of PA, holy **** nutjob owner.) and would like to find a better one, as well as a range that doesn't charge $texas for new members.

And... go!
Where are you coming from?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:11 PM

3,134 posts, read 5,762,537 times
Springdale Sportsmen's Club Springdale Sportsmens Club cost $3 a year not long ago. The shooting range is outside. Hot women inside. Time-wise from downtown it's closer than Wexford and the members are more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh