Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:16 PM

475 posts, read 568,017 times

Advertisements

I only have limited experience with less than great stores in the area (Anthony Arms, meh. Gunrunners of PA, holy **** nutjob owner.) and would like to find a better one, as well as a range that doesn't charge $texas for new members.

And... go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 02:22 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,683,810 times
Anthony Arms are pricks with high prices. Seems that the local favorite is Braverman Arms in Wilkinsburg. I've never been there (I buy my firearms online and have them shipped to a dealer with an FFL) but it always is held in high regard.

I'd also like to know about a range, I haven't found a decent one close by and I do all my shooting at camp.

Edit: Also a big fan of Ace Sporting Goods in Washington County. Very friendly and helpful staff. Also WTF is up with that Gunrunners of PA site? You weren't lying about the crazy part.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:44 PM

I've met him once, a guy that bought a Ruger Mark III from me wanted to use him since he was local and cheap.

He cut our conversation short to close shop because he had to make it to a tea party rally.

As for ranges, the only one I'm familiar with in the area is Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmans Club and they're too far out for me to justify spending $100/yr and then the gas money, finding someone to sponsor me (As you may have noticed I'm not terribly popular. ) and all that rubbish.

Maybe I'll have to make it out to Wilkinsburg one of these days, it's close enough to just pop over.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:34 PM

91 posts, read 236,911 times
I like Powell Guns out in Penn Hills (right by the Police Station), but they have odd hours, and no range. William Powell is a great "older" gentleman who has TONS of new/used inventory. You go in and feel like your at a flea market, and there are some neat guns, but not a lot. Then if you get a chance to talk to him and mention something, he disappears behind a curtain and comes out with what you were just talking about. His store is the best in the area as far as I am concerned, but the hours are a pain sometimes.
There is Allegheny River Arsenal in Verona (also no range), but they didn't thrill me with inventory or seemed very friendly. I don't expect the guys to bow to me, but at least talk to me about what I'm showing interest in.
They are a little farther out, but the only input I could offer. As for a range, I'm a member of Crowfoot Sportsman's Club in Murrysville, but that is a trek. If I'm looking for a gun to buy, I don't mind driving a little, but to shoot it, I want somewhere close. Plus it's about the same as Pitcairn-Monroeville, and a little hard to get to.
Powell guns site: http://www.powellguns.com/

Last edited by xtant64; 08-17-2010 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Added site link.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,911,394 times
I haven't had any bad experiences with Braverman Arms. As for a range, I just use the state gamelands' free range out in Wexford. I'm not nearly into the hobby/sport enough to justify any sort of membership.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:28 PM

58 posts, read 147,507 times
I would say either Bravermens, Anthony Arms ( I've actually think there prices or reasonable ) the have a range also. I purchased my handgun at Gander mountain. I hope I won't get in trouble for posting another forum but check here Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum

Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 PM

Yeah, uh... I've been permabanned from PAFOA for about two years now....

Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,683,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewood_Resident View Post
Anthony Arms ( I've actually think there prices or reasonable ) the have a range also
You have to use Anthony's ammo instead of your own when you shoot there which is ridiculous.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 PM

A lot of gun store ranges are that way, unfortunately.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:08 AM

58 posts, read 147,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
You have to use Anthony's ammo instead of your own when you shoot there which is ridiculous.

I agree but for a box of fifty I only paid 10 dollars. I still have my orginal bullets from when I purchased the gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh