Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:29 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered how East Carson and the South Side as a whole compares to other cities in the country (or world even) as a drinking destination.

I have not found anything similar in Manhattan, where you would expect it. Las Vegas has the Strip and Fremont street, but it is a bit of a special case. I haven't been to Bourbon St. in New Orleans, but that is the only street/district that comes to mind when thinking of American drinking districts.

I had never heard of Carson Street before coming to Pittsburgh. Obviously many cities have hot zones for night life, but how many can compare to sheer scale of Pittsburgh's South Side's night life?

(also, I've heard quite a few people say that it is the highest concentration of alcohol serving establishments in the country/world, which sounds absurd to me, but I would love to see any ranked lists of this sort)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 AM

366 posts, read 943,943 times
Nothing better than Beale St in downtown Memphis on a Saturday night. Lived there for 3 years. Now live in SS :-).

Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
I've heard a bunch of things such as the South Side having the highest amount of bars per square foot in North America. Not sure if that's true or not. Only place I've seen comparable is Temple Bar in Dublin (the district not the bar itself) but even that couldn't compare to the sheer number of bars on Carson.

Personally I don't go down there to drink very often, it's way too expensive. Last weekend I bought 3 drafts at Fatheads and it cost me $18 bucks.... ridiculous.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:33 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Personally I don't go down there to drink very often, it's way too expensive.
That all depends on where and what you drink!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
Nothing better than Beale St in downtown Memphis on a Saturday night. Lived there for 3 years. Now live in SS :-).
Beale Street music brings you here

It doesn't look quite as extensive as the south side, but that all depends on the quality of the places and what atmosphere/price range you are looking for. It definitely is #1 on my list of things to do in Memphis if I ever go down there now. (I didn't have a list of things to do in Memphis before this, by the way )

Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 PM

457 posts, read 1,279,806 times
Most cities have a drinking district. Austin is built around one.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:20 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I've heard a bunch of things such as the South Side having the highest amount of bars per square foot in North America. Not sure if that's true or not. Only place I've seen comparable is Temple Bar in Dublin (the district not the bar itself) but even that couldn't compare to the sheer number of bars on Carson.

Personally I don't go down there to drink very often, it's way too expensive. Last weekend I bought 3 drafts at Fatheads and it cost me $18 bucks.... ridiculous.
Do you not see the irony in stereotyping the place with the highest number of bars per square foot in America due to your experience at just one of those bars?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 AM

60 posts, read 104,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I've always wondered how East Carson and the South Side as a whole compares to other cities in the country (or world even) as a drinking destination......
(also, I've heard quite a few people say that it is the highest concentration of alcohol serving establishments in the country/world, which sounds absurd to me, but I would love to see any ranked lists of this sort)
What I read , and believe to be true, is that Carson St has a larger number of consecutive blocks with at least one bar/club than any street in the country.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I suspect this is one of those ranking issues where it really depends on your definitions.

But just speaking from personal experience, whereas I've been other places with lots of bars in close proximity, I'm not sure I have been anywhere with such a long stretch of bars. I'm not sure that really means anything (I guess it helps you keep your pub crawl organized, particularly in the latter stages), but it wouldn't surprise me if some sort of claim related to that was true.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr61 View Post
What I read , and believe to be true, is that Carson St has a larger number of consecutive blocks with at least one bar/club than any street in the country.
That seems quite believable. Do you know where you read it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I suspect this is one of those ranking issues where it really depends on your definitions.

But just speaking from personal experience, whereas I've been other places with lots of bars in close proximity, I'm not sure I have been anywhere with such a long stretch of bars. I'm not sure that really means anything (I guess it helps you keep your pub crawl organized, particularly in the latter stages), but it wouldn't surprise me if some sort of claim related to that was true.
It also allows your crawl to be unplanned. You just go to Carson and have at it, sure there are a few bars off carson if you are so inclined, but there is no need for initmate knowledge of the street grid. In a place like Manhattan, there might be a big cluster of bars/clubs, but you have to know where you're going (in my experience).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh