U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,060 times
Default Returning to Western PA

Hello all,

I know there have been similar threads to this, but none really answered some of the questions I had. So any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

My fiancee and I both grew up in Erie, PA but have been living in DC for the past 4 years. We are now moving back to Western PA, which we are very happy about. She will be working at UPMC in Pittsburgh and I will be working from home.

We are looking for places/neighborhoods to live in. We will be renting for the first year and then will look to buy a house. We have heard good things about Oakmont, Fox Chapel, Regent Park, Squirrel Hill, Ross Township, Green Tree and the South Side.

We are looking for an easy commute for her and the possibility of neighboorhood shops for me to walk to during the day. We also enjoy weekend nightlife. We both have cars, so public transportation is not necessary.

Would any of these neighborhoods fit the bill? We are just looking for the best neighborhood to live in for the money ($1,000/month rent).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

~Shippinglane
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,937,512 times
UPMC has several locations in Pittsburgh, so specifying the location would help.

For walkable commercial areas with some nightlife, the South Side, Squirrel Hill, and to some extent Regent Square would be the best choices on your list. The South Side is very much our Mardi Gras/Spring Break area, so that is the vibe you would have to want. Squirrel Hill is more young professional oriented. Regent Square only has a small commercial area, but there are a few good bars and restaurants.

Some other places you might consider are Lawrenceville, Bloomfield/Friendship, and Shadyside.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,060 times
Thanks for the response Brian.

She will be working at Shadyside.

Any suggestions for a little outside the city?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:45 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,792,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippinglane View Post
Thanks for the response Brian.

Former Erieite living in the Point Breeze/Regent Square area. PM me for any info!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippinglane View Post

Most of Regent Square is actually outside the City (it overlaps Edgewood, Swissvale, and Wilkinsburg). Some of the other nice walkable areas outside the City include Sewickley, Mt Lebanon, Aspinwall, and Oakmont (and many others--I'm listing the more upscale ones). Aspinwall and then Oakmont would be the most convenient commutes to Shadyside, since you wouldn't have to deal with getting past Downtown. Note you may be sacrificing a bit on "weekend nightlife" in most of these areas--you are shifting into the very family-heavy zones at this point.

Personally, I'd strongly suggest checking out Shadyside and Bloomfield/Friendship first. You couldn't beat them for the commute to UPMC Shadyside, and they otherwise seem to fit your criteria. They are also very central, and you could easily check out a lot of other options from there.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:37 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,792,690 times
I know from living in Shadyside that lots of doctors, nurses, etc walk to work every day. It's an unbeatable location.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM

457 posts, read 838,823 times
You would be crazy NOT to live in Shadyside.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:26 PM

782 posts, read 451,914 times
I would live as close to the PGH city limits on the east side as you could get without being in the city to save yourself the 2% pay cut you'll take from the local income tax.

The overlapping areas of Regent Square that are outside of the city limits sound like a good starting point.

Shadyside is really nice but you will be taking home less $.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM

367 posts, read 545,428 times
If you want to live outside of city limits I suggest North. Why? NO TUNNELS.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 PM

Yeah, if you are renting the non-Pittsburgh parts of Regent Square are a great deal because of the lower income tax. You can also use the 63B (soon to be P71 with extended hours) to get to the Negley Station on the East Busway, which is very close to UPMC-Shadyside, and from some sections of Regent Square you can also walk to the East Busway for more options. I know the OP said a car commute was fine, but this particular bus commute is quite convenient and will typically save someone a lot of money.

Edit: Oh, but I'd still recommend living right near UPMC-Shadyside, at least to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh