Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 AM

228 posts, read 802,642 times

Advertisements

I was offered a job in pittsburgh, actually in oakdale which is literally a few feet from the Mall at Robinson. I thought, great, great career opportunity, how bad can pittsburgh be?

I spent the last 5 days sun up to midnight looking for housing. It was an absolute nightmare. There are precisely 3 apartment complexes in the vicinity, 2 are booked solid for the entire year, the other (Hawthorne) was just a dump, apartments constructed in the 70s, no central air, just a dump.

I said, okay, lets look at housing. Hah. My first stop was Carnegie (pronounced carNEgie, inexplicably)...just a nightmare, houses built in the 50s or earlier, everyone packed armpit to armpit, no stores, no gas stations...

My next stop was Robinson Twp. This was slightly better, and at least pretty close to the mall. This would be great provided i can actually find a house. I found one and put in a application but the landlord said he already had two offers. So, we'll see. And don't forget this is right next to beautiful scenic McKees Rocks, where houses can be bought for $20k. (Hint, don't buy a house for 20k)

My next stop was various places in Moon Twp. Not really impressed, especially for the price. Inevitably the rental unit was the worst on the block, and again I saw very few shops, etc.

I guess my expectations are a drug free fairly safe neighborhood, with gas stations, grocery stores, etc. Somewhere you can walk around and feel safe. Where we live (durham NC), its not quite a paradise, but we have a beautiful home that we are paying $1600 PITI (so, everything except utilities) for in a very safe neighborhood with 3 grocery stores within 2 miles (and shops and gas, etc). Durham and Pittsburgh are extremely compariable as far as cost of living and median house prices go, as far as I can tell.

I lived in urban Houston for a while, and at the end there were assaults, rapes, and murders routinely, and vehicle and condo breakins were an every day occurance. I am not going back to that, no matter what.

So, i'm thinking of saying no thanks to the job, unless I can find a decent place to live that I can get to within say 30 minutes drive.

To the west of Oakdale there is Imperial, which is uninspiring. To the south there is Mt. Lebanon, again not many apartments/houses for rent there, but perhaps the most likely spot. To the North there is Franklin park, again, desirable, but not much out there. To the east there is...Carnegie, and a traffic nightmare beyond that.

Anyone have any thoughts on a safe place to rent while I am there initially? I'm really at wits end, I never imagined what an absolute armpit Pittsburgh seems to be (from the areas I visited). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on a safe place to rent while I am there initially? I'm really at wits end, I never imagined what an absolute armpit Pittsburgh seems to be (from the areas I visited). Thanks.
Actually Moon Township will fulfill all of your criteria and then some. Where exactly were you looking? Also, as far as traveling to Robinson from the city, I have to agree that it IS a traffic nightmare. I traveled from the South Hills to Robinson daily for my old job and the commute to work would be a smooth half hour, but the commute back sometimes took over an hour.

Also, prepare for a wave of apologists to show up in this thread, just sayin'.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
The rental market is in fact undersupplied right now. I don't know if it makes sense to call an entire city an "armpit" because of that fact, but I understand the frustration.

I might suggest working with a real estate agent, if you aren't already. There are a decent number of houses renting that way.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
When I think of Pittsburgh, RENTING just isn't something I think about. I wonder if because almost everyone who can afford to buy, does buy...that the renting options seem so bad?

Just a guess, no idea though.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
I don't think Pittsburgh has as many apartment complexes as other cities. I have a friend that has big apartment building in Scott Twp. that has a couple of vacancies. Also, the Pittsburgh suburbs are different in that there rarely is stuff to walk to.

With a budget of 1600 you can look in much nicer areas than Carnegie. For starters, look in Mt. Lebanon, then try Sewickley. I would call a realtor.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
I'm really at wits end, I never imagined what an absolute armpit Pittsburgh seems to be (from the areas I visited). Thanks.
If that's your opinion of Pgh, I'd advise you to not move here.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
Pittsburgh does not have many available rental units compared to the rest of the country. I highly doubt that you'll find any neighborhood that is drug free, including your cozy little neighborhood in Durham.

Upper St Clair, Bethel Park, Mt Lebanon, Bridgeville areas may work. But honestly, if you had a bad impression of the city and surrounding areas, do yourself a favor and stay in Durham. You'll be even unhappier once winter comes.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 AM

398 posts, read 702,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Also, prepare for a wave of apologists to show up in this thread, just sayin'.
Yeah, I don't want to be a knee-jerk apologist, but I am... confused. The OP wants to take a job in a rural area, but doesn't like the housing in the area because his preferences are for what one would find in a dense city, so he blames his dissatisfaction on the nearest large city? (Which he admits would be an unreasonable commute to his job, and therefore isn't very near.) Huh?

People are always happy to help people figure out housing options that they might have overlooked, but you have to be a little less oxymoronic in your requirements.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 AM

346 posts, read 537,215 times
Well older classic cities like Pittsburgh are more likely to have "ancient homes" (from the 50s-70s) and to be a little closer together then cities in the Sunbelt. I still think you could find something to suit your needs just fine... you just need to keep looking and maybe try some different avenues... perhaps as suggested contact a realtor. It seems that you expected there to be a brand new spacious affordable vacant apartment complex across the street from your job that is in walking distance from a grocery store, water park, 5 star hotel, and a bird sanctuary.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:50 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
The OP wants to take a job in a rural area, but doesn't like the housing in the area because his preferences are for what one would find in a dense city, so he blames his dissatisfaction on the nearest large city? (Which he admits would be an unreasonable commute to his job, and therefore isn't very near.)
Good point, you can't really have big town living when.... you don't live in a big town.

Also, many people will suggest Mt. Lebanon and other areas towards the city. If traffic is a concern then I would not suggest these. Sewickley is a decent option if you want that "walk around" vibe but housing there might be limited. My suggestion would be to try Waterford Landing in Moon:

Waterford Landing : Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh