Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 06:26 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Why is Detroit #6? It should be #1.
Seriously. After watching the documentary "Requiem for Detroit" I highly doubt there are cities in the United States WORSE than that.

Also, Detroit is a bit of an obsession for foreigners. They're intriqued/amused/perplexed that such a huge city could turn post-apocalyptic in the richest country in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Seriously. After watching the documentary "Requiem for Detroit" I highly doubt there are cities in the United States WORSE than that.

Also, Detroit is a bit of an obsession for foreigners. They're intriqued/amused/perplexed that such a huge city could turn post-apocalyptic in the richest country in the world.
I think Detroit has the most hope of any of these cities. It's basically turning into a blank canvas for artists and entrepreneuers.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:16 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I think Detroit has the most hope of any of these cities. It's basically turning into a blank canvas for artists and entrepreneuers.
Detroit is the largest, but also has the worst crime, the most blighted and dangerous neighborhoods, the most "urban prairie," the highest unemployment, and probably more poverty than anywhere else in the US. Another thing that plagues Detroit is that the suburbs (and exurbs) have won the battle.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:02 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Detroit is a total wreck right now, but I do think that is part of why it has a lot of potential. It is just going to take a while (like 20-30 years probably).

Old 08-28-2010, 06:39 AM

99 posts, read 328,946 times
I know that Baltimore has to be in the top 20' in 1960 it was the sixth largest city and the third largest port in the country. Like so many industrialized urban cities population decreased. I attribute this loss on several major factors. The decline all started in the 1960's. First many large manufacturing firms relocated, many soled neighborhoods were split up due to a rush to put expressways thru their neighborhoods, court ordered school desegregation which imposed busing students, ultimantely accelerating "white flight to the suburbs" higher taxe and insurance rates and finally the rise of crime.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM

254 posts, read 591,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronClark View Post
I see some hope in the future for Allentown, New Orleans and Hartford at least. Allentown and Hartford because they are pretty much part of the Bos-Was megalopolis. New Orleans because there's so much money being poured back into the city. It's too culturally important to be left to die.
I don't get the big deal about New Orleans. Do you actually mean the French Quarter? If so, that is just a tiny part of the city.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:19 PM

296 posts, read 560,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
I don't get the big deal about New Orleans. Do you actually mean the French Quarter? If so, that is just a tiny part of the city.
I would also say that Detroit is close to being as culturally relevant as New Orleans.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:51 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
ive never been to Detroit, but have viewed a number of videos about that city on youtube.com. fascinating place - its geographically huge, making infrastructure costly and inefficient to those homes that are isolated from others.

its downtown is not unattractive. it has some beautiful, grand buildings.

buffalo needs some good ideas to seed the city with better neighborhoods. ive never heard of ANYTHING coming from its city halls that would better the city.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Part of Buffalo's problem is its in NY - and we all know NYC sucks up all the attention and resources of NYS because NYC is the showpeice of the state and country and demands ALOT...

Pittsburgh and Philadelphia don't have this same hold over PA...if one or the other sucked up attention and resources the way NYC does the other city would left for dead....But even the Burgh and Philly together cannot dominate the states attention away from Rural PA if they could the transportation would be a non-issue let alone a crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh