U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM

12,711 posts, read 9,823,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense for the smell to carry the message of "don't come here, I died" than to serve as a beacon for the others to come?
"Avenge my death!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 AM

1,158 posts, read 973,131 times
I wonder what the natural predator of the stink bug is in Asia. Mice will not prey b/c of the stink. I'm wondering if spiders will kill them?
Going back about 30 years ago Pennsylvania imported the "friendly fly" to get rid of the gypsy moth caterpillars that were defoliating trees and has worked pretty well with stopping them.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 AM

913 posts, read 1,509,932 times
here is what i did
i got a garden sprayer hose attatchment and dawn dish soap and hosed the entire house down. haha not only did it clean the house itself there was a million dead stink bugs laying all around the house the next day and no more crawling on the house. i took all the windows out and vacumed the tracks and sprayed "ortho home defense" bug spray all in the tracks. and then got a spray bottle with brown listerine and alcohol and sprayed all around the windows on the inside and more bug spray arounf all the windows and doors on the outside. it seemed to work well
i found a couple of stray stink bugs but for the most part they all went away or to the neighbors house. they dont like the taste/smell of the dish soap and the listerine so they go some where else.
im sure its not a cure all but at least it will last a while till we get a couple frost's. if anything the house is clean and i cleaned all the windows while they were out too.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:43 AM

9,878 posts, read 9,038,295 times
Some things people around here are trying that they say work or don't

How To Stop Stink Bugs Y108 – Pittsburgh's Best Country (http://y108.radio.com/2010/09/22/how-to-stop-stink-bugs/ - broken link)

Old 09-28-2010, 07:22 PM

275 posts, read 369,832 times
I've used dishwashing soap in my sprayer for years. I spray the back yard every few days and the soap keeps the bugs down and it is safe for my dog. It is also very cheap. Sometimes I use a little bleach, then it smells like I have a pool in the back yard. Dont know if it works on the stink bugs, but I have heard it is effective.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 PM

712 posts, read 1,012,053 times
Stink Bugs lays the larva for the ladybugs.
I also believe that they eat the larva of other stink bugs.
One always follows the other.
The best way to get rid of them is to pick them up with tissue paper and take it outside and burn the tissue paper with the bug inside of it.

THERE is nothing that you can do to keep them out if they are already inside of your house.

If you want to kill them, buy a can of starting fluid. - ether.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:09 PM

13 posts, read 21,109 times
Are these bugs more prevalent in the burbs where this is more open land/grass -or- the city? And, if in the city, do they "spread" like bed bugs? Seems like it might be a bit "worthless" to have one home sprayed if the one attached doesn't (e.g. the bed bug scenario).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh