Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times

Advertisements

Look Downtown Pittsburgh has a long ways to go to become Center City Philadelphia a pure neighborhood downtown....but this is ultimately the goal of the city planners.

I almost feel like if Downtown Pittsburgh is become a neighborhood, Planners need to come up with a new name for Downtown...as the term "Downtown" does not say "neighborhood" to alot of people its more just a generic term for a CBD and nothing more....

Now it would be hard as all hell to get natives to use the new neighborhood name as opposed to Downtown (hell some people in Philly still call Center City "Downtown") but for marketing the neighborhood to new comers, travelers, and national publications it would stand out....

To get people acclimated once a new name for Downtown (and please "Golden Triangle" is dead and so 1980's) has been chose, have PAT buses and trains rename all destination signs, schedules, and other prints from downtown to the new name...have the local media start using the new name in their broadcasts...along with the local newspapers and mags...if the residents of the city are plastered with the new name as opposed to "Downtown" people will start to become more accustomed to the new neighborhood name...

What do you think would be a good new name for new Downtown...something that says neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Uptown? Intown? Just town?

Downcity?

Neighbortown?

Get autta taun?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
I think Downtown is just fine as a designation. But then I think "North Shore" is silly. Rivers don't have shores, they have banks.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 AM

346 posts, read 537,275 times
Ummm I'd prefer to just stay "DownTown".... if they changed it's name to like Oak Garden or something generic like that people would think we don't have an actual downtown with skyscrapers.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
center city caught on but it's still downtown. of course, downtown in pittsburgh is a lot more geographically fixed. center city was the name given to the original borders of the city of Philadelphia (in penn's time). downtown to some means all of that are, to others it's the area of west market and south broad, etc. really, people say all sorts of things "I work downtown" "I met him in a bar in center city" "I'm going to the city tonight." downtown, center city, the city are all used interchangeably. to the extent that center city caught on is probably due to the fact it fit a need in the local lexicon (south philadelphians call it uptown)...because downtown didn't really mean cc. they also came up with university city (caught on, includes several neighborhoods, some of which still exist, some of which were penntrified) and international city (never caught on, airport area).
my suggestion:
The Fish Sandwich
"I got an apt in the fish sandwich"
The Nipple
the city (NY ripped it off from london, why not Pittsburgh? besides, what other city would you be talking about if you live in lawrenceville or mt. lebanon?)

as noted earlier, Pittsburgh doesn't have any problem nailing down the borders of downtown, so you'd be fighting an uphill battle with what gain?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:48 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Golden Triangle goes at least back to 1914. I honestly think you have a better chance resurrecting that (or a variation like "the Triangle") than inventing something new. I have also seen "The Point District" in some older texts.

Personally, though, I see nothing wrong with "Downtown". The fact is that it IS our biggest CBD. And places like the Financial District in Manhattan (aka FiDi) are booming as residential neighborhoods, so I don't see a problem with that branding.

Finally, I'd suggest it might be a good idea to actually subdivide Downtown. The Cultural District already has a strong branding established. "First Side" seems to be a common term for the other side of the Triangle (see how smooth that is?). For the area in between--how about "the Diamond"? Forbes used to be Diamond Street, and the market in what is now Market Square used to be called the Diamond Market. That all dates back to regional custom of calling a central city square a "diamond", so Market Square was once Pittsburgh's Diamond. And if you squint a bit, the area defined by Stanwix, Liberty, 7th, Grant, and Boulevard of the Allies looks like a cut diamond.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Tribridge

Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Tribridge
I'm not sure what that means ("triangle with all those bridges"?), but it sounds really cool.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
Yinzville

Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'm not sure what that means ("triangle with all those bridges"?), but it sounds really cool.
that could work for the north shore as well no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh