Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:45 PM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times

Advertisements

Took the wife out for her birthday yesterday and original plans were to go for casual tapas and drinks at Headkeepers. As we were making our way there, a billboard for One Eleven located at 113 S. Penna. Ave in dahntahn Gburg caught our attention.

We decided what the heck and went on a whim. Pleasantly surprised when we walked in to see a fine dining establishment. Even more surprised to find out the dining room was booked on a Wed. night at 6:15pm so, we figured it must be good and luckily, their bar area was large with plenty of seating.

Happy hr at the bar on Wed. had $5 specialty martinis that my wife was disappointed we missed out on (4-6pm). She had her share of martini's anyway and loved their Watermelon one. Dinner was great.

We both started out with very large house salads and my wife had the chilean sea bass over orzo and I had the cioppino (grouper, scallops, shrimp, and mussels in a red tomato, onion, pepper and saffron sauce served with some rice). Everything was excellent and portions were large.

We will definitely be back.

The sea bass was $27 and the cioppino was $24, which was definitely worth it. I usually don't leave food on my plate and I have enough left over for dinner tonight....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
I've been wanting to try One Eleven but haven't gotten a chance to, your review sounds promising though. If anyone hasn't been to the Headkeeper, it's a great place for tapas and a nice adult beverage, the big plus about it is that there's over 600 different types of beers to choose from, which are all displayed in 10-12 large coolers. With the burgeoning dining scene as well as the arts and entertainment attractions such as the Westmoreland Museum of American Art, the Palace Theatre and the Seton Hill Performing Arts Center, Greensburg is really one of our area's best kept secrets.

Last edited by neurodistortion; 09-02-2010 at 01:05 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 PM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
I still want to try Solstice. Have you been there yet?

We have been to Headkeepers a few times and like it a lot, especially the beer selection.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
No, I haven't tried it either. I've been wanting to try some of the new places that have opened recently such as J Corks and the Supper Club where Red Star used to be but I haven't gone around to them yet.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 PM

187 posts, read 491,715 times
Love these restaurant reviews. Please keep em coming!

Old 12-09-2010, 01:39 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times
I've been to Solstice, Headkeeper, J Corks, and One Eleven and would rate them in the following order:

1. J Corks
2. One Eleven
3. Headkeeper
4. Solstice

J. Corks and One Eleven are similar. One Eleven leans a little more towards seafood and J. Corks towards beef. Also, OE has some more creative items on their menu, and JC is slightly more traditional. Entrees are slightly cheeper at JCs and the bar is way cheeper. Took my girlfriend to dinner at JC and spent less than $100 on steaks, wine, cocktails, appetizers, and salads -- great value. Oh, and try the Maryland Crab Soup at JC, it's amazing.

Headkeeper is good for tapas and beer, but during the winter it is super crowded. The upstairs is pretty cool, but it is often reserved for private parties.

Solstice is pretentious and over-priced. Servings are so small. A friend of mine is a chef in the Greensburg area and has told me that Solstice's chef copies other chef's creations. It's not nearly as nice as OE, or JC and is just as expensive. Total wannabe restaurant in my opinion.

Last edited by ML North; 12-09-2010 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: editorial

Old 12-09-2010, 01:46 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
One Eleven is like Vallozzi's Lite.

Their menu is similar.
Their bar manager was a former bartender at Vallozzi's.
They make Cable Cars, just like Vallozzi's (although Mac makes them better!).
They even serve Vallozzi's version of Derby Pie.

But.... they are way cheaper.

The Supper Club?
meh.

Been there twice and while the food was very good, it wasn't memorable. The wait staff was excellent both times, even with the one guy being on the job for under two weeks.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
Love these restaurant reviews. Please keep em coming!
Agreed. Any word on when you're coming up here from NoVA? If it's relatively soon I'll coordinate the sub-forum meet-and-greet for after your arrival so you can meet all of us!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:53 AM

187 posts, read 491,715 times
Plans are uncertain still. Once we know something we'll be all over this forum.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:05 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
Plans are uncertain still. Once we know something we'll be all over this forum.
Do you envision this happening within the next year, though, if it were to happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh