Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 AM

540 posts, read 868,384 times

Advertisements

Regardless of the new brand, I am preparing my Pittsburghese directions for visitors, "Turn left when you get to the hotel that used to be the Hilton..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
Regardless of the new brand, I am preparing my Pittsburghese directions for visitors, "Turn left when you get to the hotel that used to be the Hilton..."
Yep

It's actually a tough assignment for the new brand. That hotel will be called the Hilton for years.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
That is actually a generous amount of explanation. Typically formulations will likely include:

"Turn left where the Hilton used to be . . . "

and

"Turn left at the old Hilton . . . "

and

"Turn left at the Hilton . . . ."

Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
I'd say there may be some historic significance associated with this building and that preserving it and rehabbing it, provided that it is cost effective, is a worthy endeavor. Wasn't this one of the first buildings to go up in the Golden Triangle?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
not to rain on your parade, but that's pennsylvanian, not pittsburghese.
that building is an ugly dump, wouldn't mind seeing it go if it's replaced with a better building. as it is, it doesn't even make good use of it's footprint. hopefully they will have the good sense to put bathroom fans in. hopefully hilton will resurface elsewhere in town.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
LOL at that obsession with bathroom fans. It's quite common in high-rise buildings, including hotels, to have a larger scale ventilation system, as opposed to individual fans. I've learned more recently this actually consists of a large fan unit on the roof that draws the air out through what otherwise appear to be passive vents in the wall. It's possible this was not functioning properly, but if working this should be adequate in most cases. More often than not, hotels do not have individual bathroom fans. The scales involved (venting 600+ fans and maintaining them) just make it more efficient to have a different type of system.

The building is being painted. I don't know what the final color of the upper part is, though, whether it is the same as the lower part or not. There's no way it'll be taken down. Although some of its value is in the contents, the structure alone is still worth far more standing than destroyed.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I think the building fits well into that section of town between Commonwealth and Stanwix (which is full of mid-20th Century buildings). I'm reasonably confident that with the shakeup, it will once again become an asset for the City.

Edit: Oh, and I'm pretty sure One, Two, and Three Gateway were finished first, then the State Office Building, and then the Hilton and Four Gateway. But this was all a key part of "Renaissance I" as it is sometimes now known, and therefore historically significant.

Last edited by BrianTH; 09-15-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 09-15-2010, 10:10 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
I think it will be a better hotel now with a new brand and a new owner.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
LOL at that obsession with bathroom fans. It's quite common in high-rise buildings, including hotels, to have a larger scale ventilation system, as opposed to individual fans
I've learned more recently this actually consists of a large fan unit on the roof that draws the air out through what otherwise appear to be passive vents in the wall. It's possible this was not functioning properly, but if working this should be adequate in most cases. More often than not, hotels do not have individual bathroom fans. The scales involved (venting 600+ fans and maintaining them) just make it more efficient to have a different type of system.
you're missing the forest for the trees. whatever system they were using, or not using, wasn't working. I quickly found out why it was cheaper than the other hotels. to this day I recomend to others that they avoid this dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The building is being painted. I don't know what the final color of the upper part is, though, whether it is the same as the lower part or not. There's no way it'll be taken down. Although some of its value is in the contents, the structure alone is still worth far more standing than destroyed.
most likely, but it's still ugly, and makes a decidedly inefficient use of it's floorplate. I don't really think it will be torn down, or even have it's ugly facade replaced, I just wish that would happen. It wouldn't kill them to add a second tower and change the way the building interacts with its surroundings (or rather, doesn't).

Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think the building fits well into that section of town between Commonwealth and Stanwix (which is full of mid-20th Century buildings). I'm reasonably confident that with the shakeup, it will once again become an asset for the City.

Edit: Oh, and I'm pretty sure One, Two, and Three Gateway were finished first, then the State Office Building, and then the Hilton and Four Gateway. But this was all a key part of "Renaissance I" as it is sometimes now known, and therefore historically significant.
actually, it does a pretty awful job of recognizing the surrounding plaza, point park, let alone the flow of the park or streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh