U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-03-2010, 03:16 PM

9,872 posts, read 8,571,265 times
Hint to the OP: you get more constructive replies when you ask for what you're looking for rather than insulting the place because of what you haven't been able to find. That said, it is in fact possible that the perfect place doesn't exist here, and maybe that's a deal-breaker. So be it. Come back and ask a constructive question, maybe you'll get better answers. In fact, there are a few good suggestions in here despite the trolling nature of your initial post, but there are not as many as there should be.

Good luck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 03:49 PM

457 posts, read 820,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
I was offered a job in pittsburgh, actually in oakdale which is literally a few feet from the Mall at Robinson. I thought, great, great career opportunity, how bad can pittsburgh be?

You just learned the #1 lesson on moving to Pittsburgh - Don't believe the hype & throw away all those Top 10 Forbes lists.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:02 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,022,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
I lived in urban Houston for a while, and at the end there were assaults, rapes, and murders routinely, and vehicle and condo breakins were an every day occurance. I am not going back to that, no matter what.
Hahaha. The only neighborhoods I can think of in Pittsburgh that even come near the crime rate inside the Loop are Homewood, some parts of the North Side and some parts of Wilkinsburg and McKeesport. If you drove slowly around Carnegie (or, God forbid, got out of your car and walked) you might notice strange things that you've never seen in Houston - windows left open, a lack of bars on windows and doors, old people and youngsters walking alone, cars parked with their windows down. It might be a little dumpy. But relatively safe.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:49 PM

1,758 posts, read 2,251,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The pronunciation is pretty explicable. It's how Andrew Carnegie pronounced his name.
This is true. Two places pronounce it this way, Pittsburgh and Scotland. For the record, Andrew Carnegie was Scottish and spent the rest of his life in Pittsburgh. I think we must have it right since this is how he pronounced it. I don't like the arrogance of some people assuming Pittsburghers are wrong and they are right because this is how they say it where they live.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Yeah, I'll add my vote in for that thought. There's enough negative to go around.

Think of it this way......the baby might be ugly, the parents can call the baby ugly, but a complete stranger should never be so rude.

The thing is, the baby is beautiful in so many ways that one needs to see through. Beauty is only skin deep. Pittsburgh's beauty is found by exploring, hitting the pavement, getting the vibe, seeing how it is quirky and different. This is an area for those with an open mind and an artistic sense about them.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,556,259 times
Pittsburgh is beautiful. It is not shiny, clean, bright, and sanitized. It is authentic and real and gritty and old. It's a city for people who like antiques, and the grandeur of the past. The grit is a patina -- it's like a beautiful aged piece of furniture. You wouldn't want to refinish the wood and make it look new.

I just wish people would stop trying to turn it into something shiny and new. It will never be that -- and in the process, it will lose everything that makes Pittsburgh (and other rust belt cities) cool.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 09-03-2010 at 07:08 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 PM

2,405 posts, read 2,802,958 times
Oh look, somebody from some antiseptic suburb in the sun belt saw a couple of outer suburbs of Pittsburgh and became such an authority on the whole city that they can write it off as an "armpit".

Troll OP.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,746,025 times
I once moved to a city I liked as much as you like Pittsburgh, for a job I thought I'd like. I wished every day I was there that I wasn't.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 PM

1,103 posts, read 813,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Pittsburgh is beautiful. It is not shiny, clean, bright, and sanitized. It is authentic and real and gritty and old. It's a city for people who like antiques, and the grandeur of the past. The grit is a patina -- it's like a beautiful aged piece of furniture. You wouldn't want to refinish the wood and make it look new.

I just wish people would stop trying to turn it into something shiny and new. It will never be that -- and in the process, it will lose everything that makes Pittsburgh (and other rust belt cities) cool.
Yep.

Thankfully we have the hills and rivers to prevent any type of mass development and sprawl. Keep that ****e in Cranberry, thanks.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 PM

It is those very hills and rivers and ravines that shape the city's personality from a physical standpoint and otherwise. Pittsburgh is unique. To me, that is a beautiful thing. After all, We are "The Paris of Appalachia." As was mentioned the OP is trying to find paradise out by the airport and does not even venture into the city let alone the East End or South Side, yet wants the amenities of those areas in suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh