U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:37 PM

8,270 posts, read 7,342,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
There are tons of inspection places. Many will put a sticker on your car without inspecting it if you slip them a few bucks or they know you.
Name one. That is one of the biggest myths out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 05:43 AM
wfz wfz started this thread

21 posts, read 27,674 times
If you know of a dependable shop who won't try to do unneccessary repairs, please email spamfreeliu@yahoo.com. I appreciate your help!!

BTW, I don't believe my gas tank has any problem. It's just a few spot with darker color. I went to Pet Boys. From researching a little bit, it seems that I'm not the only one being quoted with redundant repairs to pass the state inspection.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 AM

712 posts, read 1,041,627 times
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<< sits here and wonders what a person expects out of a 1994 Toyota.

I can't tell you the cheapest place in town, but I can say that if you can find a Monro shop that the state inspection is much cheaper.
The point is - if your car has failed a state inspection, it is illegal for another inspection station to put a sticker in the windshield without doing the necessary repairs.

If shop #1 see's the car and sees that the repairs were not made, they can call the state and turn inspection station #2 in and they will be in a lot of trouble.

Someone here said the key word. The car is 16 years old and don't you think that it is time for a newer model. Sentimental value only gets you so far.

Everybody trying to save a buck and everybody pinching pennies so hard that old Abe Lincoln cry's when they pull him out of their pockets that it is hard to tell someone that their one time investment has gone sour and it is time to get rid of it and move up.

There are lot's of good antique cars in this world, but as far as I know, there is no collectors clubs for a 1994 Toyota.

On the plus side, if your car has a recent sticker and is in good shape - you could probably sell it for $1400.00 If that means putting $2000.00 into it to sell it for $1400.00. then I would say that the car is no longer a good investment and it is time to use the money that it would take to repair it to find something better.

$3400.00 still buys you a pretty nice vehicle around the burg.

I don't blame the cars owners as much as I blame the employers and the state of the economy. There are some people who would rather spend their money on dope and booze then buy a new car. But there is also people out there working at Burger King, trying to pay their bills that cannot live on minimum wage in a city that costs about $14 a hour to make a livable wage.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:25 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,941,167 times
It sounds as if you are looking to find a garage that will charge you less than the book price for those jobs? Maybe phrase your question that way.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:25 AM

1,720 posts, read 2,392,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I won't name names...but I had a mechanic buddy who would slap a sticker on my piece of **** Ford Tempo because I would slip him a $20. It is more common than you think.

Another thing, never go to a chain place (Monro, Goodyear, etc..). They have "in-house" parts ordering systems that gouge you. I remember looking at the workup Goodyear did for me once and they wanted to charge me three times what an auto parts store would have charged me for the same parts.

Also, all of those things that the OP listed are rather serious and issues that can stop you from passing the inspection.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:17 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,196,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Let's say half-myth.

What usually happens is that you develop a relationship over the years with a particular garage that sees you can "speak the language" of cars and keep a fairly good level of upkeep on your vehicle. You replace the brakes and associated hardware, you keep up on the suspension, you don't wear your treads down to nothing and so on. Your inspection will go much faster and a few minor issues might be overlooked.

There was one fellow, about thirty years ago, that would pass without an inspection provided your lights worked and the tires were ok. The charge was double for the privilege but you were in and out in a half hour. They finally caught him when one of his "trusted" customers ran into a tree thanks to having almost no brakes, the day after inspection. He never inspected a car again. Those few like that who may still exist I have no sympathy for, they put all of us in danger.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:39 PM

2,927 posts, read 2,780,750 times
State Inspections - the thing I miss the VERY least about Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh