Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:56 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times

Advertisements

I think your family would fit fine in Squirrel Hill. It definitely has a liberal college-town feel, and although it counts as somewhat pricey by Pittsburgh standards, there is still enough of a mix of housing that all sorts of people live there. Still, if you like Squirrel Hill but are looking for something a little less "fancy", Greenfield is a good option. The aforementioned Regent Square (my neighborhood), plus some adjacent areas, might also be an option, but the school situation is a little complicated--you can search for my prior posts on the subject, or just ask, if you are interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 08:10 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think your family would fit fine in Squirrel Hill. It definitely has a liberal college-town feel, and although it counts as somewhat pricey by Pittsburgh standards, there is still enough of a mix of housing that all sorts of people live there. Still, if you like Squirrel Hill but are looking for something a little less "fancy", Greenfield is a good option. The aforementioned Regent Square (my neighborhood), plus some adjacent areas, might also be an option, but the school situation is a little complicated--you can search for my prior posts on the subject, or just ask, if you are interested.
I don't think of Greenfield as "crunchy," though. At the same time, I acknowledge I may suffer from decades-old opinions I picked up from an old best friend who grew up N. of Forbes, and thought of Greenfield as Yinzer Central.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:14 AM

408 posts, read 991,338 times
You aren't going to find Vermont in Pittsburgh, but you may want to check out Lawrenceville/Polish Hill area and Westview + its bordering ohio river neighborhoods as well.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I don't think of Greenfield as "crunchy," though. At the same time, I acknowledge I may suffer from decades-old opinions I picked up from an old best friend who grew up N. of Forbes, and thought of Greenfield as Yinzer Central.
From what I hear, Greenfield has become popular with younger folks looking for something affordable in the "greater Squirrel Hill" area. But I suspect it is true you can still find more old-school Pittsburghers there as well.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
the strip isn't crunchy, even if it's a good place to shop.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,050 times
You may also like neighborhoods like Observatory Hill and Brighton Heights, which surround Riverview Park, which is primarily forested with the most extensive network of hiking trails in the city parks system. Not sure how to make a link, but Google "Pittsburgh Riverview Park" for more info.

No matter where you work, your commute is pretty much always opposite rush hour traffic (and I've worked in all four cardinal directions since moving here--East Liberty, Southpointe, Warrendale, and Sewickley). It's about 10 minutes from all of the sweet markets people mentioned in the Strip.

My wife's family is from just north of Burlington, and she really digs the area and what it has to offer as well... so... take that for what it's worth. And somehow or other, we ended moving in next door to a die-hard Patriots fan... So that helps, I suppose.

I can't speak for Brighton Heights, but the only downside (IMHO) is there isn't really a significant business district in Observatory Hill (though the bakery is top notch). It's very much more "neighborhoodie" than service-oriented. So if you're out walking, you're doing it because you're out walking, not because you're going to a cafe or the corner store or what-have-you.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:23 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,281 times
You are going to have a hard time finding the vibe that you are looking for (liberal, organic stuff, hippy vibe, etc..). It only exists in little snippets here and there in Pittsburgh. The East End is the only place that even comes close to what you are desiring. Check out Polish Hill as well.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:47 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times
Am I the only one who opened this thread just to know what "crunchy" means?

To be honest, I'm not sure I get it yet either!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Am I the only one who opened this thread just to know what "crunchy" means?

To be honest, I'm not sure I get it yet either!
Urban Dictionary: crunchy

It's often called "crunchy granola." Urban Dictionary: crunchy granola

Have you been here longer than Whole Foods, long enough to remember when the only organic shopportunity in town was the East End Co-op? Well, the people who shopped there then were definitely "crunchy." It's become a lot more mainstream since Whole Foods started popping up everywhere. Now, lots of people are interested in "organic," and things like Slow Food, farmers' markets, and CSAs.

I don't really consider myself crunchy, as there are other environmental issues that aren't as important to me. I hate recycling, for example, and that just pours apple juice on any hope I might have had for true crunchiness.

But I can't stand being around people wearing perfume. "Crunchy" types are the most considerate about not pouring a bottle on when they go out of the house. So I crunch with my volume on ten re: this issue. I hate scented laundry detergent, and think dryer sheets are the true proof that Satan is alive and well and saving a very special place for the inventor of these wicked, toxic stench tickets.

So, any crunch from you?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:16 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,281 times
Crunchy = liberal, concerned about environment, possibly vegetarian or vegan, hippy-ish leaning but not full-blown hippy, desiring an interesting and free-spirited place to live full of artsy people

Like I said...doesn't really exist in Pittsburgh but in tiny little snippets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh