U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 AM

137 posts, read 299,878 times

Advertisements

I just fixed up another Gillece mess. This time they didn't glue the flu pipe together! Another customer paid $12,000 for a $1200 job...

Pass it around to you friends to stay away from them.

Always get references from friends or family...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 08:23 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,340,442 times
I presume you are referring to the infamous Tom Gillece, not Mark Gillece, who, I believe is a relative, but has a MUCH better reputation.
From what I've heard, and lately seen on TV, Tom Gillece should be put out of business; what a despicable crook and con-man!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 AM

9,918 posts, read 18,288,841 times
Yeah I've been avoiding them for several years, ever since a co-worker had a bad experience. And now lots of recent crap about them. Now it's apparently true they are the largest outfit and thus sheer numbers of complaints will be more because of it. But the types of things that are going on do not sound good. There are plenty of other worthy shops to call. I've used AirPro recently for heating/air.

Now I got my clutch replaced at Gillece Transmissions. I don't know if they are close relatives, but this shop seemed ok.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,191 posts, read 2,963,003 times
Team 4: Customers Regret Decision To 'Call Gillece' - Video - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/24763149/index.html - broken link)

Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
155 posts, read 128,461 times
I knew all I needed to know about them when I called to have them come out for an estimate on some electrical work. They said I would be charged about $200 (can't remember the exact figure) for them to come out, but then that money could be put toward whatever work needs done...

Not a bad scam... what since people are already in to them for $200 and they don't want to "lose" that money.

If any contractor, for any reason, tells you that you need to pay them to come out for an estimate, thank them for their oh-so-valuable time and then tell them to lump it. It's a despicable practice.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:56 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,372,015 times
I heard the Attorney General's Office or BBB was investigating them. At least my dad is a plumber so I know who to call lol.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 564 times
Our furnace stopped working and the next morning we called Gillece to come out. They said there would be a $95.00 service charge just to come out and look at the problem. Fine. When they arrived they said the motor was dead. They charged over $1,200.00 for the motor and service. Fortunately they did not have a new one on their truck and said they would be back later with the new one. In the mean time my husband wrote a check for the full amount and gave it to them. I freaked out. Told him to go on line and find the cost of a new motor for that furnace. He did - $117.00. Take the cost of the motor out and the cost of their service call of $95.00 out and that left a $1,000 labor cost for a 45 minute job. I went on line and found a site that gave instructions on how to install it and he did the next day when we got the new motor ourselves. Took him 45 minutes. We are senior citizens and I truly believe this is a classic example of senior citizen price gouging and white collar crime. Terrible company.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:30 AM

1,959 posts, read 1,398,090 times
They are one of the worst companies, they will take advantage of everyone.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:37 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,210,077 times
Their cover was blown a while ago! The first post of this damning thread was 2010. If they continue to operate with this little regard to ethics, then they have serious cajones. Or, their business model is terrible - maybe the actual laborer is a contractor with them? Or works on some kind of commission?

How can you continue this way when everyone knows you are scum?

Old 11-24-2016, 09:06 PM

1,959 posts, read 1,398,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Their cover was blown a while ago! The first post of this damning thread was 2010. If they continue to operate with this little regard to ethics, then they have serious cajones. Or, their business model is terrible - maybe the actual laborer is a contractor with them? Or works on some kind of commission?

How can you continue this way when everyone knows you are scum?
The service workers are giving a minimum price per job, let's say $200 for changing a light switch. They then allow the technician to over price the job or fish for more money, if they sell the same job for $1000 they get a cut of the extra profit. They also sell extended warranties that they don't Honor. They will also have customers post positive reviews on yelp, Facebook etc for an instant discount. You will see that they have positive reviews but they look forced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh